Extra Support for Shoulder Mount Camera ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 9th, 2010, 07:35 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Extra Support for Shoulder Mount Camera ?

Hi All

I have two Panasonic HMC72 cameras which are, of course, shoulder mounts. I was wondering if anyone has made any extra stabilizing "bits" for a shoulder mount camera to make it even better??? I see that the shoulder frames that you can buy will often include a little extension and pad that extends downwards and sits on your abdomen to provide additional support or some have a rod that dops down into a belt around your waist.

I was wondering it you can get something like this that would screw into the tripod socket of a shoulder mount camera and then provide additional support with a pad/belt lower down on your body????

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2010, 08:50 AM   #2
Inner Circle

check out DVTEC.TV. Danny make the ENG rig which I still have today for full sized cams. It is a set of rails with a swiveling connector to which a spring rod attaches and that fits into a belt pouch. Keeps the camera very stabil and allows for walking (with a bit of practice of course). the rails replace the front tripod mounting shoe (at least on my Sonys and JVCs) and allowed the used of the Sony QR plate so nothing lost there and even with a 25 pound rig it kept it balanced enough that I could take both hands off the camera. I didn't walk around that way and I rarely did it except to prove to myself I could ;-)
I recommend the rig highly. BTW, Danny makes the stuff for Varizoom also. Good guy, good products good support.
Old May 9th, 2010, 06:48 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Don

Awesome, thanks!!!! Exactly the kind of rig I was looking for!!! Sometimes at weddings it really would be nice to have a little extra support during long takes like the first dance and farewell stuff!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 04:53 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi All

I decided to make a quick rig and body support for my camera and it works like a dream!!

It's basically an aluminium rail under the camera with a plate at the end. Into the plate is a tiny ballhead (I ripped it out of one of those little bendy legs table tripods) and that is simply bolted onto an adjustable arm (also a telescopic Optex still camera tripod leg) Around my waist I have a camera shoulder strap which has a pocket cut into it and the other end of the rod sits in there.

This takes all the weight off your shoulder mounted camera and provides great stability!! It would be an excellent addition for a shoulder mount rig too!!

Pics are below

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Extra Support for Shoulder Mount Camera ?-engrig2.jpg  
Attached Images

Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports