Adorama "Hands Free" Camcorder & Digital Camera Shoulder Support Bracket - $44.95!!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 5th, 2010, 04:02 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Adorama "Hands Free" Camcorder & Digital Camera Shoulder Support Bracket - $44.95!!!

Anyone have experience with this shoulder support?

FACSS Adorama "Hands Free" Camcorder and Digital Camera Shoulder Support Bracket for Professional Shoulder Support

Here is the description @ Adorama:
A very useful product for outdoor photography while using Camcorder / Handycam /Digital Video Camera.

Now you can mount your Camcorder / Handycam / Digital Video Camera to this excellent shoulder pad and enjoy hands free shooting camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Adorama "Hands Free" Camcorder & Digital Camera Shoulder Support Bracket  - .95!!!-adorama-shoulder.jpg   Adorama "Hands Free" Camcorder & Digital Camera Shoulder Support Bracket  - .95!!!-adorama-shoulder-2.jpg  

Gabroo Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2010, 05:21 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I wonder how well this would work with an EX1. Looks similar to the phill bloom was a fan of a while back.
William Graydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2010, 06:26 PM   #3
Inner Circle

It's a somewhat "generic" support - I had an Optex branded version, a highly machined upgrade version based on the same design, and you can buy these from the overseas eBay sellers...

Not a bad device, and a clever design, the ones I had were solidly built (and thus a bit heavy). The only thing I found is the chest pad made breathing a challenge - every breath would cause the rig to move up and down slightly - a problem you'll find with ANY setup that uses an additional support that attaches higher than a waist belt - bloody hard to keep your belly and torso dead steady.

Truly is hands free when strapped on, will help stabilize a camera, but I find it's not your arm that starts to fatigue - it's the low back... only something with a waist belt will help there.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2010, 06:40 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I'll try to find the post in the planet5d forum, but some people have taken to using a pole extension that helps support it (the pole that attaches to the front of your belt).
Gabroo Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 08:10 AM   #5
Major Player

A friend of mine found one on Amazon for about $30 and when we used it with rails/ff the plastic began to split apart after one day of use. I would say that using a light weight setup you might get a bunch of use out of it but if you are using a heavy lens or rails with ff then don't waste your money.
Old July 6th, 2010, 08:37 AM   #6
Trustee

This has come up here a few times (I think a search for CVP in this forum will yield results). If you follow Mr Bloom's Blog, see how it has never been used in any of his work as far as I can tell.

As others have said, it is a generic device that has carried many brands. It is cheaply made. I got one free with my Sony V1 camera a few years ago and I never used it in anger. I found it uncomfortable to use, the lower part stuck into my stomach/chest and hurt, and it transferred the motion of my breathing to the camera!

My opinion: Rubbish. Or garbage. Even if it is free!
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 10:08 AM   #7
Trustee

I'll second Mike's observations. I have not tried this exact model but have tried a similar one that braced against my stomach. Every breath was very apparent.

Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 07:06 AM   #8
Trustee

For reference, the other thread was here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/shoulder...oms-mount.html
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 12:06 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Ive just purchased one of these on UK ebay for 25 pounds!

Cant see how I can go wrong really lol...

Will update when I try it out

James
James Millward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2011, 11:52 AM   #10
Regular Crew

UPDATE 1:

Recieved my shoulder mount.

Now everything I say has to be weighed against the fact that this thing cost £25! (approx $40)

First off, I am pleased. It is totally plastic, but sturdy plastic none the less.

I wouldnt want to mount anything bigger than ahandycam or a DSLR though.

There seems to be quite a decent amount of flexibility when it comes to cam position, BUT there is none for adjusting height.

If you are of normal size, this wont be much of a problem, but if like me you are very tall (6'6") you will need to add in a block or two to raise the height of your cam.

Again weighed against the fact it cost so little, I can live with that :)

will update later, when I try it out properly.
James Millward
James Millward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2011, 01:56 PM   #11
Inner Circle

I bought this unit, based on discussions here. Interesting item. I can mount it with my T2i and use a loupe, and it gives a perfect pov feel to the footage.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports