The Opteka CXS-1 video shoulder stabaliser any good? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports

Old January 18th, 2011, 02:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

The Opteka CXS-1 video shoulder stabaliser any good?

I was looking at something like this for my canon HF S20 and possibly even my canon 5dmk2 any thoughts?

http://opteka.com/csx1.aspx
Old January 18th, 2011, 04:14 PM   #2
Inner Circle

It looks almost identical to the Habbycam mount I've had kicking around here for about 10 years. It's still in my closet even though I haven't used it for about 6 years. Now I use the DVMultirig.

Anyway, my thoughts about the shoulder mount are this. It makes the camera quite heavy and front heavy. Now bear in mind I was using a PD150 or 170 with a wide angle attachment, and an on camera light. To help balance that I fashioned a bracket and pop riveted it to the shoulder piece of the mount for my wireless receiver. While it helped it was still somewhat unbalanced. When I moved to the DVMultirig it was a world of difference because of the spring rod and the fact it uses 2 handles so both hands are on the rig. Of course none of this matters if you're using a DSLR. The weight is so much less that it's day and night.

Well thats my story and I'm stickin' with it. ;-)
YMMV
Old January 18th, 2011, 04:24 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info. Im planning on using it for the Canon HF S20 and a Canon 5Dmk2 so nothing really that large at all. The idea though is it add to it, maybe add a rail system or something and then something to shift the camera further to the left so that I can use a HDVF
Old January 18th, 2011, 04:32 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Just keep in mind that the more you add the more weight up front , so you might nned to move the cam and accessories back or you might find your arms get pretty tired pretty quick.

Post some pics of the finished rig.
Good luck.
Old January 18th, 2011, 04:41 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks, im thinking adding a weight onto the back might be a good idea, or at least something to counter it as using it with a 24-70 lens or even a 70-200 IS will make things tough.
Old January 18th, 2011, 05:02 PM   #6
Major Player

I just got a DVmulti Rig off ebay. I had something similar for years. I wish I had gotten a DVmulti Rig years ago. I is the best rig I have used.

Dan
Forever Moments Video Productions
Dan Asseff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 07:55 PM   #7
Regular Crew

cant seem to find any DVmulti Rig's on ebay right now unless they are called something different, from google it seems to put their price at almost triple the opteka one.
Old January 18th, 2011, 08:09 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Yes it is much more expensive however it is a totally different animal. One is strictly a shoulder mount and the other is "steadicam" like. I don't say steadicam but steadicam like. Will I ever achieve the moves of a steadicam with the DVMultirig? No but I can move and with some practice even run and do roundy,rounds with decent results.
Comparing the 2 is really difficult since they are so different. They will both hold the camera they do it differently. Price wise, well look at the differences in the rigs and you'll see why.

For the cameras you plan on using the shoulder brace may very work for you. Just wanted to give you some options.
Old January 18th, 2011, 08:17 PM   #9
Major Player

I couldn't find any either. Try this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/739122-REG/Dot_Line_DL_0370_DL_0370_Hands_free_Video_Stabilizer.html
Dan
Forever Moments Video Productions
Dan Asseff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2011, 02:24 PM   #10
Inner Circle

People that own MultiRigs tend to keep them, I've seen exactly TWO pop up used on eBay in over 2 years... and they sold FAST. Strong indicator that there's solid value there, I've cobbled up a similar homebrew rig myself (don't have the spring rod though, just a monopod), because I can't justify the cost to buy the "real thing", although I'd love to get one someday. If you Google, you should find their website, and can buy directly - the owner used to pop in here on DVi, but hasn't been around lately!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 02:09 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Re: The Opteka CXS-1 video shoulder stabaliser any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Grebby View Post
I was looking at something like this for my canon HF S20 and possibly even my canon 5dmk2 any thoughts?

Opteka CXS-1 Video Shoulder Stabilizer Support System
I currently use this rig on my 60D and though it holds the camera nicely the one thing I highly recommend is adding weights to the back...there just so happens to be a slot on the back that one could use diving weights as I have seen simply ziptied and voila better balanced...
Pat Flores is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports