DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Shoulder & Handheld Supports (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/shoulder-handheld-supports/)
-   -   NX5 Shoulder Rig/Rails - July 2012 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/shoulder-handheld-supports/509289-nx5-shoulder-rig-rails-july-2012-a.html)

Ryan Jones July 14th, 2012 07:56 AM

NX5 Shoulder Rig/Rails - July 2012

Hi guys.

I'm looking at investing in a shoulder rig for my NX5, possibly to also be used with my 7D (If possible - priority is to get something working with the NX5).

I've read all over this site and others to try and find the perfect setup.

After using a mate's rig, I want something to be able to mount the NX5 as close as possible to my shoulder. In addition to the NX5, from time to time I'm also planning on running a HoodLoop on the screen to give me a second eyepiece, mounting my NTG3, on camera light, and eventually one or two Sennheiser wireless kits, a wide angle adaptor and an ATOMOS Samurai or a Sound Devices PIX 240.

Because of all I want to connect long term, I'm thinking a rail solution will suit me better than the stock Sony shoulder bracket and things like the Dynamic Motion SS-302.

One thing I didn't like about my mate's rig is that the camera was positioned too far forward and the COG was all wrong, so I'd prefer something with the ability to counter weight.

I'm looking for something that I can balance back a bit further and is able to grow with me. I'm also not looking to spend a million dollars.

So far I've looked at:
- Dynamic Motion SS-302 - discounted because it doesn't have a rail setup
- Sony VCT-SP2BP - discounted because it doesn't have rails
- Shape Composite - almost what I want, but relatively expensive landed into AU - http://www.shapewlb.com/en/product/p...ort%3dTitreASC
- Manfrotto Sympla - even more expensive than the Shape, but as far as I can tell it's the business when it comes to a completely expandable solution - Manfrotto Sympla Shoulder Support System - MVA511WK | Videoguys Australia
- Pro Aim DSLR Rig - so far looks like one of the smarter ones, expecially cost/dollar, but not as good a shoulder mount as some of the others - eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d?r
- Generic eBay Spec - not as good as some others, but looks like it does all that the others do, without quite as good a shoulder mount - eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d?r
- Pro Aim HDV Rig - almost what I want, at a good price, but lacking a little in adjustability, and lacking a bit in quality - eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d?r

The two other options were one really awesome twin shoulder rig which was crazy expensive (~$3000) and to build my own using parts on ebay.

There aren't any recent threads/roundups, so I thought I'd see where everyone was with their respective rigs, and see where the market was in July '12. Hopefully there are some new players and new thoughts!

Thanks,
Ryan

Nate Haustein July 14th, 2012 06:40 PM

Re: NX5 Shoulder Rig/Rails - July 2012

Check out the Tilta Baseplate for right around $275. I posted some photos in this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxc...ml#post1722999

I've since added a Genus counterweight that sits behind the shoulder on the rods, but most times it's not all that necessary thanks to how balanced the camera is already on your shoulder. Add your choice of grips and you're ready to go.

Ryan Jones July 15th, 2012 04:51 AM

Nate, that looks like exactly what I want!

Shame the Tilta web site is down at the moment, but there is a new local dealer who has the Tilta baseplate in stock for AU$399 including the rails, so that looks like the way to go.

Interesting that there is little information available about Tilta and their products. I've found a few people selling the complete rig, which looks impressive but is a bit overkill for what I need (and more expensive than I want to spend at this point): Tilta 3 DSLR Rig Kit Shoulder Mount Carbon fiber 15mm Rod Follow focus matte box | eBay

I think the ability to mount the camera back on the shoulder mount will work well for me, as it'll keep the weight more balanced, and unlike your Pana's, the Sony has the screen further forward which will hopefully mean I won't need an external monitor.

Nate Haustein July 15th, 2012 03:38 PM

It's always been a bit sketchy trying to find one in stock somewhere. I ordered mine from a Canadian reseller. Correspondence with Tilta directly was disappointing, but I don't think their plan was ever to be a reseller. The friction arm is also very nice for the price, with internal rosettes for about $70 USD.

The entire rig is impressive, expensive, and heavy. I don't know why people pay so much just to make their 5D into a 25 pound brick. I suspect many do it just for the show... Personally I much prefer to piece together my own rig from different manufacturers, and reconfigure for each job. So much lighter and easier to handle! If you're looking for short grips, I've tried a number of brands, and I can say that RedRocks are solid and affordable.

I envy the LCD on your Sony! I got sick of stretching my neck and caved for a DP4. I wish Panny would follow ALL the other manufacturers with the forward mounted LCD. Panny does have it on one of their 3D cams so maybe it's just a matter of time... All in all, I think the tilta base is a really great value and I keep it on my AF100 full time. Ive posted a few times on this forum about how great the Tilta is, and its really because it has features you just cant find anywhere else, especially at the price point. Let me know how your search turns out!

Ryan Jones July 16th, 2012 06:16 AM

Yeah I don't want the whole thing, although I'm wondering if the top handle is a good idea instead of using the camera handle when it's on the rig and mounts. I'll look at the friction arm too.

The local dealer stocks Tilta and RedRock, so I'll get to compare the two. Should be good.

Panny have moved the screens more forward on the new AC130/160 twins, but not as far as the NX5. Hoping it'll be in a perfect spot for a Hoodman eyepiece.

I also found an email for Tilta but at that price I think it's worth getting to know the new local guy.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! I'll get photos up when I'm done!

Ryan Jones July 16th, 2012 04:44 PM

This was the other i was looking at, but a bit hard to stomach the price tag...
edelkroneŽ – MODULA 9+

Looks practical but at that price it would be difficult to justify.

Ryan Jones July 21st, 2012 12:14 AM

Got to check out the Tilda rig in person today. The baseplate is very impressive! I think by the time I have either a Hoodloupe on the screen or an EVF this will be the perfect setup.

I ended up opting for the matching Tilda handles. I tried the RedRock grips, and they were nice and I was impressed at how rock solid they were. The Tilda ones I demoed had a slight amount of wobble in them, however the positioning to me was far more natural. Hand grips about 10cm or so lower felt better instantly.

Hopefully the wobble is only present in the demo/rental grips I tried, but it'd be worth putting up with for the more comfortable position.

I've ordered mine and it'll be in shortly. I'll post some pics when I pick it up!