DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Shoulder & Handheld Supports (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/shoulder-handheld-supports/)
-   -   DSLR Rig with Manfrotto Quick Release Question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/shoulder-handheld-supports/514291-dslr-rig-manfrotto-quick-release-question.html)

Mike Iwamuro February 12th, 2013 10:53 PM

DSLR Rig with Manfrotto Quick Release Question

Hello all. First post!

So first off I am using a 5D Mark iii with a Manfrotto 501PL plate.

I use this quick release on my Manfrotto video monopod and I have a 577 quick release on my glidecam so I can switch quickly between the two and also so I do not have to re-balance my glidecam.

Does anyone know if you can mount a Manfrotto 577 quick release onto a Redrock Micro rig? I am currently thinking of investing in the Redrock Micro Deluxe Field Cinema Bundle but I am worried I am going to have to keep on taking off and putting on my plate when switching.

Anyone had any experience with this?

Mike Iwamuro February 12th, 2013 11:26 PM

Re: DSLR Rig with Manfrotto Quick Release Question

Also just wanted to add that the Redrock Micro Mini Tripod Platform might not be a great option because I do take the camera off to either take photos and also that adds a lot of height to my glidecam.

Thinking this all through I do not know if there would be a good solution to my problem.

Carl Wiedemann February 13th, 2013 12:56 AM

Mike,

I don't have any experience with the Redrock Micro Deluxe, but I've used a similar Manfrotto Quick Release to move DSLRs between Steadicams and various other mounts (tripod, slider, shoulder rig, Zacuto baseplate, indiRails base, etc). I can't imagine why there would be a problem mounting the Manfrotto QR on the Redrock. For Steadicam use I prefer the Manfrotto 357 Pro because it's longer than the 577 and allows a longer range of movement which is extremely helpful for quickly balancing fore and aft or for mounting a longer camera's center of gravity in an appropriate position.

Mike Iwamuro February 26th, 2013 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl Wiedemann (Post 1778798)
Mike,

I don't have any experience with the Redrock Micro Deluxe, but I've used a similar Manfrotto Quick Release to move DSLRs between Steadicams and various other mounts (tripod, slider, shoulder rig, Zacuto baseplate, indiRails base, etc). I can't imagine why there would be a problem mounting the Manfrotto QR on the Redrock. For Steadicam use I prefer the Manfrotto 357 Pro because it's longer than the 577 and allows a longer range of movement which is extremely helpful for quickly balancing fore and aft or for mounting a longer camera's center of gravity in an appropriate position.

Thanks for the reply. Just put in the order for one of their indie bundles so it looks like I will work on a solution.

The problem is that they have their own DSLR mount that does not include an option for using a Manfrotto 577 quick release. Cinevate looks like they have an option for using the plate however its upwards $500.

I am thinking I will just have to rebalance the glidecam when I use it or reverse mount the tripod cheeseplate mount to hold the quick release base and hope it lines up with accessories like a follow focus or matte box.

I do prefer the 577 because I have my glidecam locked in at the furthest rearward point on my 577 plate. Everything was working well but this shoulder rig threw a wrench into the gears.

I think as it sits now I will just be mounting the DSLR on Redrock Micro's DSLR plate when I want to use the shoulder rig and mount the 577 when I want to use the Monopod or Glidecam. I would like to be more run and gun but I don't see any other options.