DSLR Rig with Manfrotto Quick Release Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 12th, 2013, 10:53 PM   #1
Tourist

DSLR Rig with Manfrotto Quick Release Question

Hello all. First post!

So first off I am using a 5D Mark iii with a Manfrotto 501PL plate.

I use this quick release on my Manfrotto video monopod and I have a 577 quick release on my glidecam so I can switch quickly between the two and also so I do not have to re-balance my glidecam.

Does anyone know if you can mount a Manfrotto 577 quick release onto a Redrock Micro rig? I am currently thinking of investing in the Redrock Micro Deluxe Field Cinema Bundle but I am worried I am going to have to keep on taking off and putting on my plate when switching.

Anyone had any experience with this?
Mike Iwamuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2013, 11:26 PM   #2
Tourist

Re: DSLR Rig with Manfrotto Quick Release Question

Also just wanted to add that the Redrock Micro Mini Tripod Platform might not be a great option because I do take the camera off to either take photos and also that adds a lot of height to my glidecam.

Thinking this all through I do not know if there would be a good solution to my problem.
Mike Iwamuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2013, 12:56 AM   #3
New Boot

Mike,

I don't have any experience with the Redrock Micro Deluxe, but I've used a similar Manfrotto Quick Release to move DSLRs between Steadicams and various other mounts (tripod, slider, shoulder rig, Zacuto baseplate, indiRails base, etc). I can't imagine why there would be a problem mounting the Manfrotto QR on the Redrock. For Steadicam use I prefer the Manfrotto 357 Pro because it's longer than the 577 and allows a longer range of movement which is extremely helpful for quickly balancing fore and aft or for mounting a longer camera's center of gravity in an appropriate position.
Old February 26th, 2013, 12:55 AM   #4
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Wiedemann View Post
Mike,

I don't have any experience with the Redrock Micro Deluxe, but I've used a similar Manfrotto Quick Release to move DSLRs between Steadicams and various other mounts (tripod, slider, shoulder rig, Zacuto baseplate, indiRails base, etc). I can't imagine why there would be a problem mounting the Manfrotto QR on the Redrock. For Steadicam use I prefer the Manfrotto 357 Pro because it's longer than the 577 and allows a longer range of movement which is extremely helpful for quickly balancing fore and aft or for mounting a longer camera's center of gravity in an appropriate position.
Thanks for the reply. Just put in the order for one of their indie bundles so it looks like I will work on a solution.

The problem is that they have their own DSLR mount that does not include an option for using a Manfrotto 577 quick release. Cinevate looks like they have an option for using the plate however its upwards $500.

I am thinking I will just have to rebalance the glidecam when I use it or reverse mount the tripod cheeseplate mount to hold the quick release base and hope it lines up with accessories like a follow focus or matte box.

I do prefer the 577 because I have my glidecam locked in at the furthest rearward point on my 577 plate. Everything was working well but this shoulder rig threw a wrench into the gears.

I think as it sits now I will just be mounting the DSLR on Redrock Micro's DSLR plate when I want to use the shoulder rig and mount the 577 when I want to use the Monopod or Glidecam. I would like to be more run and gun but I don't see any other options.
Mike Iwamuro is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports