Any Comments/Suggestions with Lanparte Rigs? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 27th, 2013, 10:27 PM   #1
Major Player

Any Comments/Suggestions with Lanparte Rigs?

I'm a heavy DSLR shooter (Currently Nikon D90 and GH2 but looking at upgrading soon to a larger sensor camera) and I'm looking at building an ENG rig. I came across lanparte brand as being less expensive and some good reviews; but I'm wondering a few things here:

1. There seems to be more than one version of some pieces of the rig (such as Matte Box, Follow Focus, Shoulder Pad) and I'm having trouble figuring out what makes one version better/expensive compared to the other.

2. Seems there is a battery option, suggestions? Never used such a thing as all my gear runs off internal batteries but I could see using it with the H4N which is a bit of a power hog.

3. Back to the H4N, I want to get that inline with the rig as well, any suggestions on how to best mount it and what parts I would need? That way I can plug my XLR mics into the H4N which then records the audio and I would also output via the headphone jack to the camera so the camera sound is also very good (having not to use the internal pre-amps plus I have a high quality sync version).

4. How sturdy is the C-shape cage? I can see using this rig a low shooter using a top handle.

5. I'm also looking for an external monitor, Lanparte sells one but not sure if that's the best technology (I don't want to break the bank, but I also want to ensure that the Monitor I'm getting will do the job and be colour/gamma correct).
Old March 3rd, 2013, 10:32 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Any Comments/Suggestions with Lanparte Rigs?

You could check out the many reviews at B&H

DSLR Video Supports & Rigs| B&H Photo Video

But you are unlikely to be using a matte box for ENG. It's surprising how quickly the weight adds up as you put a rig together, and you can soon move beyond comfortable run-and-gun set ups. The beauty of the 15mm rail system is its versatility. I've put my kit together as kit becomes available at bargain prices on the auction sites, and have a combination of Tilta, Redrock Micro, and various Chinese parts, all of which work really well.

As far as what makes one item different from another, the inclusion of adjustable end-stops on a follow focus seems to double the price, but they must be a handy feature (I don't own a follow focus). With a DSLR you would be better with a side hinged matte box that swings away for easy lens changes, for instance.

I wonder if a small monitor would work as well as an EVF for ENG? I am using a 7 inch monitor with an XF300, and while it is a nice size for checking focus, I would not want to be running around with it attached to a rig along with a matte box etc. carried on my shoulder.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports