DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Shoulder & Handheld Supports (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/shoulder-handheld-supports/)
-   -   Pro-Aim Shoulder Rig kits and Matte Boxes Question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/shoulder-handheld-supports/519373-pro-aim-shoulder-rig-kits-matte-boxes-question.html)

Drew Hosick October 7th, 2013 02:40 PM

Pro-Aim Shoulder Rig kits and Matte Boxes Question

Hi there,

I know the point of a matte box with the filters is to be able to drop a 4x4 filter into it and remove at will while also using the mattebox to stop light flares from happening unintentionally.

However here's my question especially for anyone that uses the MB-1200 swing away from Pro-Aim although maybe some of my questions can be answered by other matte box users.

I have a Variable ND that I screw on to the front of the lens. I was hoping to use that but once the mattebox is in place it's hard to adjust. I could swing away the matte box every time to make an adjustment but that's just taking up more time than needed. Will the lenses actually fit through the round hole of the matte box if you want it too? In other words use the flaps of the matte box to stop light from entering but have the front of the lens protrude the matte box just a tad so I can reach around and adjust when needed the amount of light being let through the variable nd?

The reason I ask this is my Variable ND in certain situations really acts strange when the light hits it in some angles. Not only do I see the usual flares but I also get a washed out look with no contrast in the picture. It's very strange. As soon as I put my hand in place to block the light it goes back to a normal contrast I expect. I was hoping to use the flaps to stop the light instead of hand holding something which would be difficult with a new shoulder mount anyways.

Drew Hosick October 9th, 2013 08:48 AM

Re: Pro-Aim Shoulder Rig kits and Matte Boxes Question

Maybe I should ask this question. Will a Variable ND like the one for B&W or Heliopan work better without getting strange sunlight washouts and as many flares? In other words, maybe I should get a better quality shoulder mount and forget about the matte box for now and add that later if I wish?

Bob Ohlemann October 9th, 2013 09:25 AM

Lens flare often causes a washed out image. It can happen with any brand of filter although, some do better than others. I am a big believer in setting your gear up the way it works best for you. I probably modify 50% of the peripheral equipment I purchase. If you don't intend to use the filter holders on your matte box, there's no reason not to set it up the way you need it, to meet your needs.

Bob

Drew Hosick October 10th, 2013 09:23 AM

Bob, have you by any chance used the pro-aim equipment?

Bob Ohlemann October 11th, 2013 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Hosick (Post 1816486)
Bob, have you by any chance used the pro-aim equipment?

I do not have the Pro-Aim matte box but, I do have some of their rig components.

Bob