screw this - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 5th, 2014, 07:30 AM   #16
Slash Rules!

Re: screw this

Hey. If anyones interested, heres the sachtler part number for the mysterious vhs pin/video locator pin

sko10e0602
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2014, 10:58 AM   #17
Trustee

Going to state the obvious: Almost every pro tripod head comes with spare screws. Usually one of each of the two standard sizes. Those extra screws are often screwed into the bottom side of the head. They may appear to be functional parts, but they are not. They are screwed in just for storage. Have you looked at the bottom of every tripod head you have around? You might find an Easter egg!

I am not one of those guys that immediately sells old stuff on E-bay. It goes into my AV bone yard. I dig up useful old bones there all the time. Maybe you have the screw. Just asking?

Steve

Last edited by Steven Digges; February 5th, 2014 at 11:10 AM. Reason: typo
Steven Digges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2014, 11:17 AM   #18
Slash Rules!

Nah, definitely no spares. Plus theyre for a gini rig, not my tripod. So definitely no spares.
Old February 5th, 2014, 11:25 AM   #19
Trustee

I figured as much...just asking, I know the screw you're looking for is not standard tripod, but close....I can't be the only one with a pile of old junk laying around I get parts from...

Steve
Old February 5th, 2014, 11:42 AM   #20
Slash Rules!

Im an idiot. I just realized what you meant. I will look when i get home. There may well be some extras i thought were parts of the head. Intriguing.
Old February 5th, 2014, 12:16 PM   #21
Obstreperous Rex

Unbelievable... the thread title actually fits, so it stays in place. A rarity for Josh Bass? Could be.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2014, 06:30 AM   #22
Regular Crew

I've been working on something for a while and discovered to my dismay that not all camera screws are the same. It's a very subtle relationship between the depth of the tripod plate and the hole depth that you want to go into and the many camera screws I've tried have had a problem with one or the other in that the length of the actual shaft is too long so it wont tighten up on the camera. In fact I've heard of people actually going through the bottom of the camera trying to tighten the wrong length of screw up.

In the end, for the product I've been working on I got them made to measure to a similar standard (but not exactly the same) as Sachtler and this has solved my problem.

Last edited by Duncan Say; February 8th, 2014 at 06:30 AM. Reason: typo
Duncan Say is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2014, 03:10 PM   #23
Slash Rules!

I ordered the slightly longer than typical ones I linked to above, since the one in my tiny Sachtler plate seemed a wee bit short. If it's too long I can always use washers.

PS Gini-rig never got back to me after two emails. Cavision, on the other hand, who doesn't even make the rig I have, but I asked them because they seemed similar, got back to me within a day.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports