screw this at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports

Old February 2nd, 2014, 06:57 AM   #1
Slash Rules!

screw this

We'll see if that title gets changed. I've been here more than ten years, I'm entitled to a little fun now and then aren't I?

Anyway, I bought a used gini rig from a friend, but it didn't come with the screw to mount the rig the bottom of a camera. It is so hard to describe WHICH screw I need I thought I'd just upload a pic so you can see the mount on the rig plate. It's one of these weird proprietary screws that goes up through the bottom of the rig plate, through, and then into the 1/4 20 threads on cam.

What is this called and where do I buy it? Does anyone sell them in Houston? It would also be nice to get more of those little tiny screws that go into the secondary/very small hole on the cam bottom to keep it from pivoting (like the ones on a tripod plate). Same question. . .what is that called and where do I find it? I emailed gini rig and they decided not to get back to me ever.
Attached Thumbnails
screw this-photo.jpg  
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 10:54 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: screw this

Hi Josh, I hope they don't change the name of your thread.

I've heard it referred to as an anti-twist pin. Sachtler calls them a video locating screw.

I'm not sure if each company uses a different size and pitch but the best thing to do would be to bring the plate down to your local hardware store and find the right size by just trying a bunch of different screws. Once you do that you'll know the exact size to look for. If it were me, I'd just get the appropriate size steel dowel and break out the tap and die set and make my own. But, I'm a big DIY person. If you're not maybe one of your friends is an could do it for you.
Old February 2nd, 2014, 11:03 AM   #3
Slash Rules!

Yeah, sorry, not a DIYer.

It has a very large "base"screwy part, about the size of a nickel or something. the small piece would probably be identical to what's in a sachtler plate (like my DV4 plate for instance).
Old February 2nd, 2014, 12:03 PM   #4
Trustee

Sorry Josh. I misunderstood which one you were talking about. If it's the actual one that goes into the 1/4 x 20 in the camera I would search for Camera Fixing Screw. I heard that Gini Rig is using a 10-24 screw instead of the almost universal 1/4 x 20 or 3/8 screws used on most video and camera equipment. You might try some place on the internet like this Shoulder bolts, Allen, Alloy steel black oil finish, 1/4" shoulder (#10-24 thread) - Bolt Depot that specialized in odd sized screws.

There use to be one shop out around me that was called the Srew Shop. The only carried fasteners of all types sizes and shapes. It was the only brick and mortar place like it for 300 miles and I was in there about every other week. Unfortunately the old man that ran it decided to retire and no one wanted to take over. Now when I need a really unique screw I have to either hunt on line and pray that it will work or manufacture my own.

Good luck. Sometimes finding the right screw is like finding a needle in a hay stack.
Old February 2nd, 2014, 02:07 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Just checking..........working from top left to bottom right in the pic, are we, er, you, talking about hole 2 and/ or 4 or something else?

That notwithstanding, if said screw is designed to go into the butt of a video camera, it must, by definition, be either 1/4" X 20 or 3/8" X 16 or two of the latter OR even one of each.

Try a bog standard 1/4" X 20 out of any QR plate to hand and see what happens, the actual plate looks pretty similar thickness to a QR plate, so it may be that simple.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 03:23 PM   #6
Slash Rules!

It would be the two larger holes in the picture.
(the pin/tiny one would screw into the OTHER side of the plate on the other side and be a permanent fixture. . . unless it got in the way of mounting the cam 'cause the cam only had one hole.)
That's true, about the size. I guess I always think of 1/4 20 'cause it's the "safe" one that all the cams I'd be likely to use have, while not every has the 3/8.
Old February 2nd, 2014, 06:41 PM   #7
Major Player

Something like this:

6mm Thread Depth 1 4" D Ring Screw FOR Camera Tripod Monopod Quick QR | eBay

?

Yes, I agree, a little fun is indeed warranted.

Last edited by Tim Lewis; February 2nd, 2014 at 10:46 PM.
Tim Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 07:19 PM   #8
Slash Rules!

Looks close, hard to tell what threads look like from that angle or how thick/wide/diameter that base is. As I said, the correct screw should have a base about the size of a nickel.
Old February 2nd, 2014, 09:38 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Josh, take the plate go to a Home Depot store and in the hardware section where the nuts and bolts are they have a piece that has all different sizes and threads of screws and bolts. You can twist the plate on to the sample and at least you'll know what size thread you need then you should be able to find the proper screw or at least something close enough to work.
Old February 2nd, 2014, 10:15 PM   #10
Slash Rules!

If thats what i have to do thats what i have to do. I will try calling gini again and see if they can assist first.
Old February 4th, 2014, 06:25 PM   #11
Slash Rules!

Gentlemen, I'm a moron.

My CAVISION rig I had looked like it had the same kind of setup, and it used the weird large screw. However, I noticed that the recessed hole in the gini rig appears to be the exact same diameter as the one in my tiny sachtler plate, for my DV4 tripod, which leads me to believe it takes the exact same sized screw. So it's a typical 1/4 20 tripod plate screw for screwing plate into cam. So I'm a dumb dumb.

Edit: tested gini rig with the screw from sachtler plate--- gini plate must be a little thicker 'cause there is less of threaded part of screw sticking out on top than with sachtler plate. Thinking I need a longer version of the tie down screw. I was going to order these:

http://www.filmtools.com/1catiedosc.html

If too long can use washers.

Still need the little teeny tiny screw whose head actually goes up into the camera bottom (non-threaded, keeps cam from pivoting). The video locating pin/screw, as someone mentioned above. Can it be gotten without buying a $70 sactler plate as well?

Last edited by Josh Bass; February 4th, 2014 at 06:57 PM.
Old February 4th, 2014, 10:51 PM   #12
Inner Circle

I somehow lost the "VHS" pin (that's one name for it-don't ask me where it came from) on a Manfrotto QR plate. I dug thru my pile of stuff and found a small threaded screw that fit the recess in the bottom of the camera, was able to screw it into the hole in the plate so it didn't get lost and BAM! fixed. As long as it's small enough to fit the recess in the camera and fit thru the hole in the plate you don't need anything special.
Old February 4th, 2014, 10:53 PM   #13
Slash Rules!

Fair enough. Ill see if sachtler deigns to respond to me. If not, then off to the depot.
Old February 4th, 2014, 11:17 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Hmm, well, guess I won't comment on your opening statement except that "many a true word spoken in jest" springs to mind.

To the chase:

All 1/4" X 20 photo/ video screws are not created equal. Some, to put this a delicately as I can, are, quite frankly, bigger than others, it's that simple.

Just like human genetics, what you get is what you got, end of story, but they all seem to get the basic job done, regardless.

As for you VHS pin (for such it is called) problem, hmm, you may find, if you can discover the appropriate thread type to match the available threaded hole, that the threaded end actually fits the available orifice in the camera.

That VHS pins do not usually have threads to fit said orifice is unsurprising, as said hole has no threads with which they could engage. Irrelevant, as long as said VHS screw prevents the camera revolving about its single 1/4" X 20 retaining screw in use.

If it fits, use it. If it don't, back to the drawing board.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2014, 02:24 AM   #15
Slash Rules!

yes. if sachtler doesnt answer i know the hardware store has these weird double threaded screws that have no head and are threaded at both ends. something like that might work as a vhs pin if its small enough.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports