Suggestions/Thoughts on shoulder rig for camera and wireless pack at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 19th, 2014, 11:36 AM   #1
Tourist

Suggestions/Thoughts on shoulder rig for camera and wireless pack

Long time lurker, first time poster. Not extremely well versed with some of this stuff so thank you in advance for any insight.

Have a Sony HDR-AX2000 camera that we use as a roaming camera for our sporting events. It's 10-12 lbs. We also have a wireless transmitter that we use to shoot live video back to the switcher. That pack is roughly 5-6 lbs once you add in the batteries and other accessories. We bought a cheap shoulder rig last year (about $80)... had the cam on the front of it and everything else strapped to the back. It balanced out fairly well and worked great for about a day... until the weight snapped it in two pieces.

Looking for a similar but sturdier solution that won't break the bank. Any suggestions, either retail or custom, that we should be looking at? I've looked at so many websites but I just can't get a handle on something that isn't insanely expensive. Thanks!

Photo of the camera and wireless pack: camera | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Photo using last year's rig before it broke: _RLC8885 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited by Jonathan Bateman; February 19th, 2014 at 11:37 AM. Reason: spelling
Jonathan Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2014, 01:06 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Suggestions/Thoughts on shoulder rig for camera and wireless pack

I can't beat your $80 deal, but I use a Tilta (or Lanparte, basically the same I think) and am very happy with it.
Finn Yarbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2014, 01:18 PM   #3
Tourist

Would you have a link to the particular model you are using Finn?

That $80 rig we had last year was good, but I think it was built more for DSLR sized cameras, hence the reason it broke with the weight of the larger cam and other accessories.

We can put a few hundred dollars into this, I just don't have the budget to go all-in on the really high-end professional stuff.
Jonathan Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2014, 01:32 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Tilta and Lanparte each only manufacture one type of shoulder rig, and they're about the same.

ikan Tilta 15mm Quick-Release Baseplate for Sony VCT-U14 BS-T03

Lanparte VMS-01. Quick-Release V-Mount Baseplate W/ Shoulder Pad – Intellytech

The reason that I like these two is that I like to be able to use a quick-release plate and go from shoulder to sticks without rebalancing. But if that doesn't matter to you, there are many, many other options!
Finn Yarbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2014, 04:16 PM   #5
Inner Circle

If you're willing to spend the money look at the MultiRig by DVTec (dvtec.tv) Danny N. the manufacturer used to hang around here and he also made his product to be sold under the Varizoom nameplate. I used one for many years with small form factor cameras including PD150, PD170, Z-1, Z-5, and many others. I used a Varizoom Stealth LANC controller and carried an Audio Technic 1821 Dual Channel receiver on the back which weighed in at a touch over 1 pound along with a CN160 LED light on the camera. Not only did it make the camera comfortable to use at eye level but it held it steady and with some practice I could achieve some very nice "steadicam" LIKE shots. Never would replace a steadicam but you can do some nice tracking shots with practice! Here's the rub. It ain't cheap. When I went back to a full sized camera I sold it off but I did MoS interviews, some concerts, all kinds of stuff with it and I swore by it. Not at it, but BY it. ;-)
Might be worth a look.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports