waist belt with spring loaded support options at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports

Old November 23rd, 2015, 08:19 AM   #1
Inner Circle

waist belt with spring loaded support options

I"m looking for a simple waist belt with spring loaded support like this here: https://www.cvc.de/en/sfo/9181/DVTEC...zu-DeLuxe.html
and wanted to know if there are others that are using similar systems from other brands and are happy with the results.

Basically I am just looking to have a waist belt where I can stick in a support rod which is springloaded and that directly attaches to the camera, don't want any other accessories attached like rails etc onto the camera, just the bare basics to offload the weight from my hands for camera's that are max 2,5kg.
Not sure how much help the spring is in such a rod to improve stability?

Last edited by Noa Put; November 23rd, 2015 at 09:24 AM. Reason: typo
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2015, 09:04 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: waist belt with spring loaded support options

I have one that I used very occasionally, but Chris Harding used one extensively with his EA50 - He's the guy to ask

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2015, 09:27 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Which one was that and did it help? My main concern is when I want to tilt the camera down a bit as I don't want the rod to prevent that, also for panning, I guess you need to move your entire body to keep the camera level or are there systems that have a spring which allow light panning motion while you still can keep the camera level?
Old November 24th, 2015, 04:44 AM   #4
Inner Circle

This is the one I have Noa - there are a few versions around - this is a fairly cheap one :)

DSLR Rig Support Rod|Shoulder Mount|Waist Belt

The bit that goes into the belt is on a plate with a ball and socket so you can pan relatively smoothly without moving your body and the end that slots into to rod adapter is flexible to allow for small tilts

I bought it mainly to help my back as I used to get back ache late in the wedding day with my EA50 but I found the rod was a little too long - Chris Harding posted a way of cutting it down a little but I never got time to look at it.

Now you have brought it back to my attention I dig it out for these 2 pictures and will have a play around with it - I won't get rid if it as it did help with my back but now I'm using the A7s it's not too much of a problem unless I use one of my heavy lenses.

The good thing about it is that the rod adapter is not fastened but simply slotted on so you can instantly remove it for really low or high shots.

Both sections are sprung but the damping is not particularly smooth - I guess because it's a cheap one.
Attached Thumbnails
waist belt with spring loaded support options-img_5712.jpg   waist belt with spring loaded support options-img_5713.jpg  

Old November 24th, 2015, 04:48 AM   #5
Trustee

I got one years ago, never used it much & there are chinese knock-offs around now.

You can adjust the spring as I recall and set a neutral position and then use a little pressure to pan down - panning up will just lift the rod out of it's waist support.

I have recently got the multirig out to use with my new camcorder and it's still useful - I may even find the belt and rod and give it a try again
Old November 24th, 2015, 05:15 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rush View Post
This is the one I have
Is it the same as they show in below video? (you can see the rod at 10:43sec) It is reasonable priced, the dvtech rig I linked to is 3 times more expensive but not sure if it is worth the extra cost, I mean it's just a belt and a simple alu tube with a spring inside. Have you not noticed any reduction in the spring tension after a while?

I am also looking for a solution to take all the weight out of my hands when I"m shooting handheld because of my backproblems.

Quote:
I have recently got the multirig out
From which manufacturer is that?
Old November 24th, 2015, 06:11 AM   #7
Inner Circle

It's very similar but the camera end looks a little different - mine doesn't have the foam grip. I haven't used it enough to notice any change in spring tension.
Old November 24th, 2015, 02:44 PM   #8
Major Player

Noa,

I bought mine here and I'm very happy with it. You need to shorten it.

CAMTREE Shoulder Rig Support Rod (C-SR)
Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2015, 02:48 PM   #9
Inner Circle

I already ordered it :) it's 3 times cheaper then the dvtech and eventhough I do expect a difference in quality it just is not worth the extra cost, especially because it is so simple in construction.
Old November 25th, 2015, 08:16 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Van den Berghe View Post
Noa,

I bought mine here and I'm very happy with it. You need to shorten it.

CAMTREE Shoulder Rig Support Rod (C-SR)
Tom how did you shorten it?

Pete
Old November 25th, 2015, 01:32 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Hi Noa -
The MultiRig is the DVTec shoulder/handle "rig" with the sprung rod. I've found a couple ridiculously cheap on ebay since most people have "gone small" on their cameras! I also have one of their simpler "rigs" that has a tilt head on it, uses the same rod.

It's not as good when you're moving as a steadicam, but with practice and the "steadi-walk", you can get some decent results (better with the shoulder rig).

The spring typically has two different strength springs, so you effectively "lock" one section, then leave the other loose to get the spring action you need. Works reasonably well, again, with practice.

Since there's a 1/4 thread on the one you got (the DVTec ones have custom fittings), you could always fit a simple ball or fluid head (probably have something suitable laying about, I know I've always got bits and pieces to play with) to meet the need.

Your primary goal I'm sure is to take the load off the aching back, and it should help with that (you can adjust the belt so it might even give some added support to that "weak point"!). Keep in mind that your "bipod" will be more wobbly than a tripod, as handheld always is, so you may need to rely more on in camera stabilization.

Lately I've been using Sirui monopods (older model 324x and 424x with a 700RC2 bogen head) with bigger 'feet" than the ones Bogen uses - fold two legs out and they poke into the belt loops on my pants, fluid base for pans, head for tilt, no springs of course... though I usually use it as intended as a monopod with feet, it's fairly mobile as needed, then plant it when I am in one spot! More stable than using me as a "bipod"! With the right grip I can sort of mimic a steady rig too.

Hope that gives you some ideas - if you weren't on the other side of the planet, I'd let you play around with my "collection" and see what worked best - I've experimented quite a bit over the years to get the best results...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2015, 01:58 PM   #12
Inner Circle

I have a Sirui monopod with the big feet :) Great versatile monopod, a bit on the heavy side but can even be used as a tripod for static shots, as long as you stay with it. The springloaded support I was looking for was just for static shots, one of my camera's is about 2kg which is not that heavy but is when you need to handhold it steady for 10 minutes. In the past I had used a light monopod that fitted into a belt but the problem was mainly with tilt motion as you needed to bend your entire upper body, something I cannot do anymore without the risk of getting a hernia. I now ordered that cinecity support rig which was only 60 dollar for the belt, extension rod and 15mm rod adapter and that might do the trick. If it would break I can still use it as a poking stick to move guests out of the way.
Old November 25th, 2015, 05:55 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Hi Guys

I did a comprehensive thread on the Camtree belt and all the modifications I did to mine. Yeah the belt system is cheap (like $60) but does need a LOT of mods ... In a nutshell I found the belt itself was useless and it was stiff and uncomfortable so I ditched it and make my own from one of those money bag things you strap around your waist. I also added a ball joint on mine and shortened it ...Look at the thread in the EA-50 forum called "Saved by the Rod" ...DON'T cut the springs or tube!!! You will regret it!! The springs are covered in grease so those do need to be cleaned and you need to polish up the thin tube with some wet 1200 grit abrasive paper until it's really smooth then spray the tube and spring with silicone and it will be perfect to use and tilts nicely
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2015, 07:44 AM   #14
Inner Circle

I still haven't adapted mine yet and it's too long (I'm not sure who can use it without modding it) but will revisit Chris's post - I'm not an engineer though but I think I would use it more if it was the right length.

Pete
Old November 27th, 2015, 05:02 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Hi Pete

I dunno who designed that but you would have to be 6'6" at least to use it as it is. The top fitting can lose at least an inch with a simple mod and then I made a bracket with a ball head that attaches to the belt but sits 3" below it ...that gets the rod to a decent and usable length! I used it with my EA-50 virtually all the time but the new cams are so light I never needed it!!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports