DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Shoulder & Handheld Supports (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/shoulder-handheld-supports/)
-   -   Cheap top handle cage lumix g7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/shoulder-handheld-supports/530659-cheap-top-handle-cage-lumix-g7.html)

Steve Bleasdale December 16th, 2015 11:26 AM

Cheap top handle cage lumix g7

Any one seen a cheap small cage for the lumix g7 or something with a top handle and compact, the cam is OK as is with a small handle underneath but could do with getting low soon and a cage with top handle may be better.

Bruce Foreman December 16th, 2015 06:17 PM

Re: Cheap top handle cage lumix g7

The one I use is the Kamerar GB-1 sold by Photography and Cinema - Store · Photography and Cinema. Because you are in the UK you might search for it first under the Kamarar name or under amazon.co.uk. Be sure and go to the first link (for the GB-1 below and WATCH BOTH VIDEOS ON THAT PAGE!

GB-1 cage (cage only):

Photography and Cinema - Store · GB-1 GearBox Video Cage

Top Handle:

Photography and Cinema - Store · GB-T GearBox Top Handle

GB-3 cage (includes both the rails kit and the top handle):

Photography and Cinema - Store · GB-3 GearBox Video Cage

What I found on amazon.co.uk for you was the Neewer version priced at 61.32 pounds found here (rails and top handle included):

NeewerŪ ProAluminum Camera Video Cage Kit with Video: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

Looks to be almost identical except for one cutout on the bottom plate. Neither this nor the Kamerar will fully matchup with the battery door on the G7 although that could be solved with a riser plate or adapter between the bottom plate and the camera bottom, or with a quick release adapter that would allow removing the G7 quickly for battery change. I've used my Kamerar version for GH3's, GH4, GX7, and Olympus OMD E-M5.

It will also work with Canon 60D, Rebels, 7D, and even up to 5D MkII/MkII and many others.

Hope this helps

Bruce Foreman December 16th, 2015 06:42 PM

Same cage is available in the US and under the reviews one guy is using a G6 with the Manfrotto 323 RC2 Rapid Connect Adapter with 200PL-14 Quick Release Plate between the camera bottom and top of the bottom plate. Should allow quick removal of the camera to change battery and quick replacement.

I'm using the 577 quick release with 501PL plates but those are larger and I have to remove the plate to change battery in my G7. I mostly use the cage with the GH4 and GX7.

Uh, oh...

reading reviews I see 2 reports of broken grips. metal 1/4 x 20 does not go alll the way of the grips and the plastic side grips break under much of any stress. Go for the Kamerar product. Mine has held up well for two years now. The top handle may not be available in the UK but should be available to order from P&C at the first links I gave you.

Bruce

Steve Bleasdale December 17th, 2015 02:35 AM

Thanks Bruce will go for that one, thanks and i hope your very well, hoping your Xmas will be a great one, yours friendly, Steve