Shoulder Brace / Pod at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old November 4th, 2005, 10:52 PM   #1
New Boot

Shoulder Brace / Pod

I'm looking to buy a shoulder brace/cam for my Panasonic NV-GS400. It should have the following features if possible:

1) Good Ability for custom adjustments
2) Able to let go of the cam and it won't fall (so I can keep my hands free for short periods of time)

3) Able to do high shots - I think some shoulder braces can be extended such that you can put the cam over your head.

4) Able to do low shots - same as (3), but not as impt since high shots are more common than lows.

Assuming price is not a factor, what is the best shoulder brace/pod I can get with all of the above features?

Thanks a lot!
Kerean Koh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2005, 07:49 AM   #2
Inner Circle

It hasn't been made yet.

If you look at the braces out there you will find 1 or two that have 1 or 2 of the features you're looking for (each probably different) but I have never seen a SHOULDER BRACE that has those features. It sounds like you're looking for a vested camera stabilizer not a should brace. (SteadyCam or Maciqcam)
Varizoom has a unit that has a belly bar and they SAY you can let go of the camera (I wouldn't trust that for all the tea in China) The DVRIG has a system the allows for letting go once you've balanced it out and has a dual spring arm for absorbing shocks as you walk with it but its not really set up to mave the smooth movement of say a GLIDECAM or other steadycam type device. Then of course there are the standard should braces that simply hold the camera and sorta kinda make it look like a full size camera. I used to use one with my PD150s and let me tell you, it was very difficult to hold on for any period of time because of the weight distribution.
I won't go into any further details but you have to decide what EXACTLY you need this device for and may find you need more than 1 kind of device; I.E., a DVRIG AND a monopod. Whatever you decide to do, look at ALL of the devices out there and try to envision which will accomplish the most for the least for yourself.
Good Luck,
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2005, 12:07 AM   #3
New Boot

Well of the few I think 2 and 3 are the most impt - I need something that can allow me to handhold my mini-dv cam for long periods without hand/arm ache, able to allow me to let go of the cam without it falling, and occassionally high shots.

Oh and I'm willing to sacrifice smoothness as I realise those steadycam vest thingys are really pricy.
Kerean Koh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2005, 12:44 AM   #4
Major Player

DvRig Junior

http://dannynatovich.bizland.com/dvt...scopy/id3.html

It's pretty close to what you're asking for, and it's designed for small cams like you've got. If you have any questions about the product, look up Danny Natovich here on the forums; it's his product and he's posted about it quite a bit.
Duane Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2005, 07:39 AM   #5
Inner Circle

From what you're describing you may want to look into a monopod by Bogen model number 682B-This one is a standard monopod that can be used for overhead shots and with practice and let me emphasize PRACTICE you can accomplish some "glidecam type" work with it AND (now the reason for the 682B) it has detacthable feet which allows you to set the monopod down and it will stand on its own.
Obviously you can't use a full size camera on it but I have used it with my 150s and althought I never allow my hand to stray more than 1 or 2 inches from it (just in case) it is nice in many situations where you need to be mobil to have the chance to rest a bit while still shooting. I've used it with a 503 head on it and while the weight does add up its still a far better solution than MOST of the rigs out there. I do like the DVRig as well but I really like the monopod. It works for me.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2005, 03:59 PM   #6
DV Rig Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerean Koh
I'm looking to buy a shoulder brace/cam for my Panasonic NV-GS400. It should have the following features if possible:

DvRig Junior

1) Good Ability for custom adjustments

Fluid front back and side tilts, adjust camera height.

2) Able to let go of the cam and it won't fall (so I can keep my hands free for short periods of time)

Yes.

3) Able to do high shots - I think some shoulder braces can be extended such that you can put the cam over your head.

Yes.

4) Able to do low shots - same as (3), but not as impt since high shots are more common than lows.

Yes, By holding the junior up side down and flip the image in post.

Assuming price is not a factor, what is the best shoulder brace/pod I can get with all of the above features?

Thanks a lot!
Danny Natovich
DvTec
www.dvtec.tv
Danny Natovich is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports