Manfrotto Fig Rig review - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports

Old May 20th, 2006, 07:55 AM   #31
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis
Do you have a picture of this?
I don't have a picture of this, but take a look at page 7 of the Fig Rig Brochure PDF.

http://www.bogenimaging.us/literatur...ile0011608.pdf
Old May 20th, 2006, 10:23 AM   #32
DV Rig Pro

... Light it and let the lion leap through the ring...
Old May 20th, 2006, 07:15 PM   #33
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot
I don't have a picture of this, but take a look at page 7 of the Fig Rig Brochure PDF.

http://www.bogenimaging.us/literatur...ile0011608.pdf
It appears that the hardware store and I will be come very close soon. :} Thanks for the headsup
Old May 20th, 2006, 09:33 PM   #34
Major Player

I actually just use one a shoot last weekend with an XL1 (against the rental guy's advice). My Dp hated it, she though it was too heavy and cumbersome and would have rather done handheld. I tried my hand at it and liked it alot. I'm sure its no replacement for a steadicam or serious stabilizer, but it was more steady than handheld shots in my hands. It does get heavy though. and with an xl1, there is no viewfinder so you have to guesstimate where your subjects are in the frame, i had the wide lens so that wasnt much of an issue. overall i would probably pick one up, i think it would be really useful for solo jobs cause it holds everything you need
Jay Kavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 09:30 PM   #35
Regular Crew

I use a Fig Rig all the time with an HVX-200. Love the thing. It's not a substitute for the smooth 'walking up the stairs' type Steadicam shots but for everything else (except many head and shoulders interviews) I find it near perfect.

I use a Varizoom controller for zoom-iris-focus. This means I can hang onto the rig and never move my hands except occasionally to hit the focus assist. Oh how I wish that button could be on the Varizoom.

I also made one other mod. I attached a compact carbon monopod, which I leave on most of the time. When collapsed to 2' it makes a nice counterbalance. When extended the Fig Rig and I become a very mobile three legged tripod.

What's really great is that you can be shooting rock solid like a tripod with pans and zooms and then hang right in over somebody's hands for an extreme closeup. You have all the flexibility of hand held but with the steadiness of a tripod.

For sound I do one of two things. I double record everything to a SD744, usually with a stereo ambiance mic and one or two lavaliers feeding the 744. If I have a boom operator, I use a wireless transmitter off the mix out from the 744. I receive this into the camera. I use the tone on the 744 as my clapper most of the time. This makes for easy sync-up of the four tracks to the video in FCP.

If I don't have a sound person, I carry the 744 over my shoulder, mount the stereo mic on the Fig Rig and run a cable from the mix out to the camera. Sometimes if I don't have a boom operator I mount the boom onto a light stand with a boom brace and do the same setup as with a boom operator.

All of this stuff is marginally carry-on. I usually just put the light kit and my clothes through as baggage.
Bill Southworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2006, 02:51 PM   #36
New Boot

I love my Fig Rig and HVX, and it was Bill Southworths review of the HVX on a Fig Rig that finally made me go for both. Thanks Bill.
I've got a Foxi focus and a Manfrotto zoom controller attatched left and right, and this gives me wonderfull control of my camera. I love the sense of balance you get with it like a slow little gyroscope in your hands as the camera is mounted dead center, tilting it forwards and back gives the best understanding of this. It allows you to react very quickly to circumstances as there no clearance room to worry about apart from what you have complete control over in your hands.

I second the need for focus assist on a remote.

I also need a case for it though for when travelling with it on public transport as too many people think you've taken the wheel off your car.

I thought I'd discovered the perfect solution, but they're too small:

http://www.harpanddragon.com/bodhrancases.htm

anybody else use anything as a case?

mike.c
Mike Connolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2006, 07:09 PM   #37
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Connolly

anybody else use anything as a case?

mike.c

Hey Mike, have a look at this http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...Bag?sku=443720

I fortunately have a wife who sews, so she'll be cranking the ole' sewing machine for me. But have a look at that case.
Old May 30th, 2006, 08:31 PM   #38
Major Player

This thing is perfect at the reception. But not at the church or the park. For corporate video work, a bit limited.

But it is fun to get the looks similar to those garnered when the XL1 first launched. The real proof will be the high speed scene transitions when stuff happens fast at the reception.... nice peice of kit...
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2006, 02:29 AM   #39
New Boot

Ah, I love it. It wasn't the drum bag, but the cymbal bag!

Thankyou, I'll check it out.
Mike Connolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2006, 01:25 PM   #40
Inner Circle

Update

I did a beach wedding this weekend and for the most part the fig rig did well. I did some walking backwards on the pear following the actors etc. But I found the one weakness of the fig rig. Walking in lumpy sand trying to follow people. Wow, was that ever fun. I'm sure that footage will look like I dipped into the punch a few times. I eventually would just remain stationary, I used a tripod for most of the shoot. Over all, since it was my first time using it, the fig rig did above my expectations. It does very well trying to follow actors etc. My z1u with mic is what I was using, I had the biggy battery as well on it. So my arms were just about ripe somewhere 2 hours into it.

I'm glad I bought it.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 10:03 AM   #41
Inner Circle

1st Impressions on Fig Rig

Used one this weekend in a cathedral for capturing some great shots of the congregation as I walked around and then paused for shots in various locations whilst our other cameras were doing shots on tripod and Hague K12 jib. Found it remarkably easy to use with my Sony HC1 and (quite heavy Sony) wide angle and Rode SVM onboard (i.e. not too heavy but not exactly lightweight either.)

Just viewed the footage in Vegas 7e and it looks so incredibly steady I would be hard pressed to tell it was not on a tripod!!!! These inpromptu shots will edit in really well with footage from the two main cameras!

The ability to hold it various ways was also good (e.g. holding it above my head on a few shots to get the dancing children behind some standing people that our other two cams could n't get.)

Great device...but you don't half get some funny looks from people when they see it for the 1st time! Despite this (or maybe just for the fun of it because of this!)...it's going to be part of our regular kit from now on I think.

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; December 2nd, 2007 at 12:02 PM.
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 10:31 AM   #42
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
Great device...but you don't half get some funny looks from people when they see it for the 1st time! Despite this (or maybe just for the fun of it because of this!)...it's going to be part of our regular kit from now on I think.
The funniest comment I ever got was, asking me if it was a prop from Star Trek.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports