MiniDV Shoulder Brace - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports

Old May 22nd, 2003, 10:42 PM   #31
Trustee

Thanks for the picture Chris.

That home made rig really has some great possibilities. The C Clamp is a natural grip if I ever saw one.

It's certainly looks very much able to do the job and very easy to use. With a little imagination one could even dress it up to look more commercial.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2003, 11:30 PM   #32
Wrangler

The C-grip doesn't look that steady to hold, I'd wrap it in foam, maybe a bicycle handle grip. Apart from that, looks interesting!
Old May 22nd, 2003, 11:33 PM   #33
Regular Crew

I wanted to assemble something really simple and functional. I already had the Super Clamp and Varizoom so it was just figuring out a way to attach it to the tube. It literally took me less than five minutes to make it. I cut the aluminum tube to 24 inches and popped on the end caps. Also, if I don't assemble it, I have two spare C clamps that might come in handy somewhere on a shoot.

I've sent the pictures to Chris Hurd and he's going to post them somewhere along with the text I originally wrote.
Chris Mah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2003, 07:16 PM   #34
Major Player

On a trip to Home Depot yesterday I say some 1/2" conduit sections that were bent in a short radius that reminded me of the shoulder sections of some shoulder braces. I bought a couple along with a length of conduit and a few fittings and built myself a shoulder brace for my PD150 for about $15.

I am quite pleased with it. Other than marching around the house I haven't done any shooting with it yet, but it feels good and is quite steady. The whole thing is 1/2" conduit and fittings, a piece of scrap oak, a little black paint and a Varizoom controller which I already owned. (As I recall the controller costs somewhat more than $15.)

Here are a couple of photos.

http://www.richardspilman.com/shoulder.htm
Rick Spilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2004, 04:00 PM   #35
New Boot

Do you think...

Hey guys,

Do you think I could use the Studio1 shoulder brace (or any brand for that matters) without a zoom controller? I think the oncam zoom controller with my GL2 does a fine job. Would you recommend I buy one?

Any thoughts? ??

Thanks!
Emilio Olivares
Emilio Olivares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2004, 04:07 PM   #36
Trustee

I guess it depends on how much you zoom. I don't use zoom much but occasionally in between takes and such, so for myself I've never needed one.

On the other hand, if you use it a lot, it would be extremely helpful because of the easy and quick access at your fingertips.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2004, 04:17 AM   #37
Regular Crew

I purchased the video Innovators S-800 shoulder brace for my GL2 and it turned out being just what I was looking for. I bought mine from B&H.

It's very light and rests comfortably on my shoulder. I've been able to get some nice shots with a little practice. I highly recommend it if your looking for an inexpensive shoulder brace when your money is super tight.
Dennis Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2004, 10:05 AM   #38
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Since Dennis resurrected this thread, I'll toss in my update.

I recently purchased a DV Rig Pro brace and couldn't be more pleased with it. No, it's not an inertial stabilizer but it's not your run-of-the-mill shoulder brace either. In terms of performance it lies somewhere in-between the two.

I'm so enthusiastic about the DV Rig Pro that I plan to write-up an article for DVInfo at the first opportunity this summer.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2004, 10:29 AM   #39
Regular Crew

Please post a link to that article once you finish it Ken. The DV Rig Pro brace looks very sweet in that link.
Dennis Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2004, 11:19 AM   #40
Major Player

We have Studio 1 braces for the XL, TRV-950 & VX-2000...we love them.

RB
Old May 5th, 2004, 03:45 AM   #41
New Boot

Here is a link to a shoulder brace a friend of mine (also on this site) made. I believe padding was later added and it turns out it was over built. But better to be too strong than have a PD-150 get ruined.

http://www.desertrides.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1343
Cory Bantilan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports