DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Shoulder & Handheld Supports (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/shoulder-handheld-supports/)
-   -   DVRig Pro - Lanc & Weights Questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/shoulder-handheld-supports/73086-dvrig-pro-lanc-weights-questions.html)

George Yousko August 6th, 2006 11:48 AM

DVRig Pro - Lanc & Weights Questions

Okay - I'm past third base in ordering a DVRig Pro for my Z1U - all in all I suspect it's well worth the investment. Two questions.

First about the lanc control - from reading other posts it appears, yes it does work but for reasons known only to Sony these majestic slow zooms just don't happen. So one would end up using the zoom rocker bar on the camera to have what it's capable of. Granted the lanc does work and one could argue something is better than nothing. My thought is - how much of a hassle is it without the lanc to start/stop the camera as well as getting to the zoom. Doable with a little practice? One would need to get to the focus, gain, etc. from time to time as well - minor annoyance - big deal?

Math wise I'm at a little over 7 pounds with an external mic, shock mount, and other odds and ends which are not shiftable to another location on the rig - but does this translate to purchasing an additional weight or two to add to the back to minimize the top heavy (tipping) issue?

Again on the lanc control I don't mind making the stretch and parting with the money but sadly it appears that it is currently compromised - at least on this camera - so simply put can one live reasonably comfortable without it?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated - thanks.

George

Tom Tomkowiak August 6th, 2006 01:02 PM

George,

Live without a lanc control? Yes. Tape without it? Not me.

I bought my DvRigPro last Oct. and after few days walking around with it, practicing, etc., I decided it was necessary to have a lanc control.

Reviewing my practice tapes, I noticed camera movement every time I reached up to the zoom rocker bar. The jiggle was really bad at max zoom. I use the rig with a Sony VX2100, and the rig, as you know, is not a 'stabilizer' in the standard sense. Now I suppose over time and with more practice/use I could overcome the movement, but I didn't feel like waiting.

Fortunately, I had an old Sony tripod with a built-in lanc. I detached the controller from the tripod and attached it to the rig -- which was easy to do. So now, with my hand still on the rig handle, just a little thumb movement allows me to zoom in/out, or, go from standby->record->standby. Zero jiggle. This controller is a variable speed zoom, depending on how far down it's pressed. For my purposes, it's both slow enough and fast enough.

I've thought about getting a 'real' controller designed for the rig, but I've gotten so used to my current setup that I'm happy with things the way they are. But, I would never use the rig w/o a remote.

BTW, referring to your baseball analogy, is home base actually purchasing the rig? Mine is less than a year old, still under warranty. I've been toying with the idea of selling it and moving up the expense ladder. If that might interest you, and you haven't crossed the home plate, drop me a line.

Scott Shama August 6th, 2006 04:51 PM

Hey tom,

Got alink to the tripod you took the lanc controller off of?

Thanks,
Scott

Tom Tomkowiak August 6th, 2006 05:32 PM

On the tripod is Sony model # VCT-D680RM

Danny Natovich August 7th, 2006 06:35 AM

Hi George,

This is for you and many other DvRigPro users.

A "proper" remote control is not a must, same as the Rig. It will only add more compfort and complete the dual grip DvRigPro expirience.

All remotes perform same as the cameras built in zoom rocker, they use the same digital "brain".

The position of the camera on the rig is very important to the balance, Mount it as close to you as possible, the center of weight "Have" to be in front of the support point (closer to you) The most common mistake is by people that use reading glases and want to use the LCD without glases. They tend to push the camera all the way farward. to compansate they need a very heavy back weight. Use your reading glases.

Sorry for the speling, Couldn't find the speler.

George I will answer your other private acc. questions privetly.

Drew Curran August 9th, 2006 09:04 AM

Danny

Would the DVRig Pro work with the JVC HD100? Or is 3kg pushing it over the boundaries of comfort and usablility?

Thanks

Andrew

Danny Natovich August 10th, 2006 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Curran
Danny
Would the DVRig Pro work with the JVC HD100? Or is 3kg pushing it over the boundaries of comfort and usablility?
Thanks
Andrew

The DvRigPro is designed for small handheld cameras, The HD-100 is a shoulder camera and does not need a shoulder brace. To stabilize it you can use either the HD EngRig or the new MultiRig. Have a look at both our sites
to see what is best for you.

www.dvtec.tv
www.dvmultirig.com