HD100 Shoulder Brace at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old August 9th, 2006, 05:57 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HD100 Shoulder Brace

Heavy camera, needs brace desperately? Any suggestions? What are you guys working with? Recs?
Ralph Sturgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2006, 07:08 AM   #2
Major Player

Try:

http://www.spiderbrace.com/index.html

or

http://www.dvmultirig.com/id6.html

seems to be the main options.

I'm finding the HD-100 causes pains in my right arm and wrist after prolonged periods.

To be honest, I don't think either of these devices are the perfect answer. You'll also need remote zoom and focus controllers.

Andrew
Drew Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2006, 07:17 AM   #3
Capt. Quirk

I carried that puppy around Disney for a week, sometimes going a couple hours on my shoulder, in the bag when not shooting. It is heavy, and it will hurt you. The most painful part though, is the really shaky zoom shots I get. I will recover from the holding the camera, but the footage is forever.
Old August 9th, 2006, 08:39 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Forman
I carried that puppy around Disney for a week
You're a braver man than me!! ha ha

Shakey footage is a downside of this camera. Its definately a tripod lover.

I'm temped to try the spider brace to see if holding with 2 hands will allow longer periods of use. Of course I'll not be able to focus or zoom without remotes.

Andrew
Old August 9th, 2006, 09:34 AM   #5
Capt. Quirk

I don't like the way the spider brace looks, because of the way it's handled. You have two grips to hold the camera steady, but you also need at least two hands to operate zoom and focus, plus iris. You take one hand off the grip to zoom, and you just lost your stability.

The multi rig has the same hand grips. The rest of that unit looks just like the $99 Tiffen SteadiStick.
Old August 9th, 2006, 10:18 AM   #6
Major Player

On second thoughts the pains in my arm and wrist would probably be transfered to both hands using an Spider Brace.

The HDV Rig for the HD100 would be the best answer for most users - however I don't like being limited to shoulder level shooting!

I think my answer would be a full stedicam rig, except for the fact that i'd look like robo-cop at at wedding!!

I was at a wedding last week and the video bloke had adapted a monopod to act as a support rod for his big shoulder mounted pannasonic. The mono pod was held in a holster on his belt that also held his battery packs. The only downside was that all of his footage was at shoulder level. I noticed this cause I was the stills photographer, and my style definately would be hampered by that limitation. I suppose I could hunker down instead - using my knees instead of my back.

I waffle sometimes!!

Andrew
Old August 9th, 2006, 10:40 AM   #7
Capt. Quirk

Look at the steady stick...
Old August 10th, 2006, 02:22 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Look at the steady stick...

This looks interesting

worth a look

Thanks

Andrew
Old August 10th, 2006, 03:54 AM   #9
DV Rig Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Curran
This looks interesting
worth a look
Thanks
Andrew
Andrew,

I have answered your other MultiRig post. Now that I read this, Better also add the shock absorbing support pod and belt holster. It will alow you to shoot from almost waist level to above the head level.
by the end of the day you will still be able to help your lady with the house work, If you like.
Old August 10th, 2006, 04:25 AM   #10
Major Player

Danny

Does your JVC HDV rig give the same movement as the steady stick? What about tripod mounting? Cost?

With the multirig (it looks perfect by the way) I'd have to buy remote zoom and focus controls. Thats the only issue preventing me - cost. I need both hands on the lens for weddings.

I wish I could demo these devices first!

Thanks

Andrew
Old August 10th, 2006, 05:36 AM   #11
Capt. Quirk

If you look through the classifieds, I think someone is selling a steadty stick...
Old August 10th, 2006, 06:42 AM   #12
DV Rig Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Curran
Danny
Does your JVC HDV rig give the same movement as the steady stick? What about tripod mounting? Cost?
With the multirig (it looks perfect by the way) I'd have to buy remote zoom and focus controls. Thats the only issue preventing me - cost. I need both hands on the lens for weddings.
I wish I could demo these devices first!
Thanks
Andrew
MultiRig - No need for remote ! You can fold the grips when you shoot with both hands on the lens, And unfold the grips for stabilizer shoots.

HDV EngRig - The support pod is spring loaded, Its a shock absorber and self adjusts to any camera angle or body position !
It comes with a standard pro Quick Release plate and can also be used with standard DV plate, You can also lock the horizontal plan for steady tripod like
long speachs or ceremonies.

You can order both, I will charge you one of them, you can return the one you do not like in 14 days, You pay air mail back.
Old August 10th, 2006, 06:59 AM   #13
Capt. Quirk

You don't get offers like that every day! What is shipping like these days?
Old August 10th, 2006, 08:48 AM   #14
DV Rig Pro

Quote:
You don't get offers like that every day! What is shipping like these days?
Keith,

I can't offer this to all forum members, So if Drew will not go for it, You can have it and post your impresion to the forum.
Old August 10th, 2006, 09:32 AM   #15
Capt. Quirk

Actually, I would love to jump on it, but can't swing it at the moment. Maybe down the road I'll catch you in another generous mood :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports