DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Shoulder & Handheld Supports (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/shoulder-handheld-supports/)
-   -   Quick DV Multi Rig Review (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/shoulder-handheld-supports/74945-quick-dv-multi-rig-review.html)

Michael Liebergot September 6th, 2006 09:05 AM

Quick DV Multi Rig Review

I just received my NEW DV Multi Rig yesterday, and was able to play with it a
little bit last night.
All I can say is wow, Danny did a GREAT JOB on it. He definitely hit a homerun with this should be a real WINNER!

It's a sexy dark black aluminum color, extremely well built, and very lightweight (did I say lightweight). It took a little bit of figuring out configurations on my part (20 minutes), but it is actually really easy to configure.
This little rig seem to be stiffer (better for true shoulder mounted shooting)
and sturdier than my DVRig Pro. The DVRig Pro seems more fluid, but this is probably because it is one entire rig. The Multi Rig is very fluid once you change the configuration from shoulder to fig rig style.

BTW, shoulder shooting with this can be done in 2 configurations.
1. Using the back attached bar. one would be the typical setup where the back bar is facing downwards (good for placing the accessory plate on the back for a battery and such).
2. The other configuration (I got off of the Dvtec.tv site) where I turned the back bar sideways and let it wrap around my neck. This gave me a very stable and comfortable shooting style, and allowed me the use of the left hand to make camera adjustments without any sway (Fabulous).

I then tried several free hand (fig rig style) shots (with the handles turned upwards), both with and without the support pod.
I can definitely see shooting for a very long time in this mode with the support pod fatigue free. Both shooting styles were stable and very smooth.

I attached my Varizoom remote to the left handle and was able to use it either handles up or down. Although when facing upwards the remote is upside down so I have to remember to operate in reverse when in this setup. I am right handed, but placed the remote on the left grip, because (no matter what configuration I'm in) the left grip is always in use.
The other 2 gips (shoulder, moves to front when in non shoulder mount use), and the right grip (has the QR pate attached to tripod placement) is used up front with the left grip when shoulder use is needed.
It sounds confusing, but very easy and quick to switch from one mode to the other.
You can mount accessories on the handles (either top or bottom) and take any 1/4 tread attachment. So you actually have the ability for 6 mounting points if needed.

I don't have any footage yet, as I was just testing it out last night, but will be sing it on this Saturdays small shoot, and may try to post a clip or two if I get a chance. I will try to shoot using wireless, shotgun mic and on camera light.

BTW, I LOVE the fact that it fits perfectly in my bag while attached to the camera.
I'm sure with some experimentation, I will be able to find the (attachment configuration) perfect setup to shoot all day with (shotgun mic, light, wireless and light battery).

In conclusion, my overall opinion of the DVMulti Rig, is that I can see myself using this for almost all of my shooting styles (I shoot event videos). The form factor is small and very stealthy and light. In just one night, I have figured out about 8 shooting configurations already, and will undoubtably find even more in the future.
All I can say is that if you are in need of a one of a kind do it all support for your camera, this is more than definitely worth a look!

If you haven't already then you can check it out here: http://www.dvmultirig.com/

Daniel Wang September 6th, 2006 04:40 PM

I just got mine today! Again, great choice in color and build. Oh my, build. It looks like it could take on anything. It's built like a tank. Although, I am a bit wary of the foam grips, I'm always afraid of them falling apart.

The spring loaded pod, is something I'm not sure of yet. I like the flexi-mount, but I have the unsure feeling that it might come undone. Also, I'm afaid the springs might accidentally shoot the pod up. Is removing the internal springs an option?

The mounting plate, is a good rubber friction surface. I get tired of seeing cork smear marks on the bottoms of cameras. I am a bit mystified of the little metal "L" bracket attatched to the camera-screw. Is it meant to be removed?

I like that it came with a bag, but I am having some trouble fitting it. Is there a way to only unscrew one part of the shoulder support, and then have the main unit still fit? I removed the shoe adaptor and the mic mount in order to fit. At first the arms free rotation deal may seem confusing, but once I do it a few times, I'll have it down. I didnt think it would come with everything, but from the looks of it, all I need to add is a microphone swivel thread bushing, and I'm off to go!

In conclusion, this is a VERY solidly built piece of equipment. I can easily see being able to mount wireless receivers, a mic, a light, and the handycam of your choice to it. I have yet to run it through the paces, but I have an event in mind that should let the Multirig Prove itself. Cant wait to let the beast out.

Great job on this Danny, most definitely a great job.

Michael Liebergot September 6th, 2006 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Wang
I just got mine today! Again, great choice in color and build. Oh my, build. It looks like it could take on anything. It's built like a tank. Although, I am a bit wary of the foam grips, I'm always afraid of them falling apart.

The spring loaded pod, is something I'm not sure of yet. I like the flexi-mount, but I have the unsure feeling that it might come undone. Also, I'm afaid the springs might accidentally shoot the pod up. Is removing the internal springs an option?

The mounting plate, is a good rubber friction surface. I get tired of seeing cork smear marks on the bottoms of cameras. I am a bit mystified of the little metal "L" bracket attatched to the camera-screw. Is it meant to be removed?

I like that it came with a bag, but I am having some trouble fitting it. Is there a way to only unscrew one part of the shoulder support, and then have the main unit still fit? I removed the shoe adaptor and the mic mount in order to fit. At first the arms free rotation deal may seem confusing, but once I do it a few times, I'll have it down. I didnt think it would come with everything, but from the looks of it, all I need to add is a microphone swivel thread bushing, and I'm off to go!

In conclusion, this is a VERY solidly built piece of equipment. I can easily see being able to mount wireless receivers, a mic, a light, and the handycam of your choice to it. I have yet to run it through the paces, but I have an event in mind that should let the Multirig Prove itself. Cant wait to let the beast out.

Great job on this Danny, most definitely a great job.

Daniel don't worry about the flexi pod support, as I seriously doubt that it will come undone as I have used the DVRig Pro for over 3 years now and never had a problem with it.
It's the same pod with the exception that the flexi mount is atatched to the bottom of the DVRig Pro and the support pod just snaps into it. With the MultiRig you screw the support pod into it, and I doubt that it would come out. Actually I have had the pod come out of my DVRig Pro because it wasn't screwed in as it is with the Multi Rig.
The little LBarcket (if I'm thinking of teh same thign you are describing) is what you would mount your tripod QR plate to. It screws into the top of the right handle not the support pod handle) in which you then attach your tripod QR plate to it. When you are not in shoulder mode and the shoulder support arm is up front (becoming the right handle) then the former right handle now moves to the center. Then if you fold that down flat in the center, your tripod plate should now be on the bottom allowing you to mount it to you tripod (very clever).

Christian Mallari September 6th, 2006 11:25 PM

I love to hear from you with this Rig and I ask also Danny if this rig can be use to my XL2 camera and he reply me is possible too. they are leaving to IBC Amsterdam and Cinec Munich for the shows and as long they come back I would order this Rig (I have enough money that time ;}) I will give it a try this great Rig to Tel-Aviv (carmel market) and to Jerusalem (old city). if you are interested Danny for the pic. we can talk for that ;}.

Chris
Tel-Aviv
Toda (Thanks)

Michael Liebergot September 8th, 2006 09:35 AM

BTW, Since I have a shoot this saturday, I was testing configs last night with the Multi Rig, and I must say, OMG I'm gonna love this thing.
It's a lot easier to go from shoulder mode to Free Fly mode than I previously thought, and I can even go from shoulder mode to tripod mode fairly quickly and effortlessly. This of course is without my PAG light battery being mounted on the back.

The only slow down I experience is when I either attach or remove the support pod from the rig, as it has to screw in/out in order to be removed.
Other than this little nit pick, I am going to love this thing.

Can't wait to try it out tomorrow night in the field.

Drew Curran September 12th, 2006 03:10 AM

Michael

What Camera are you using on the multirig?

Thanks

Andrew

Joe Bowey September 14th, 2006 08:11 PM

I have a problem getting a grip on the lens of my JVCHD100 camera so will sing ths rig be of help. And can i attach a zoom control on it?

Danny Natovich September 15th, 2006 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Bowey
I have a problem getting a grip on the lens of my JVCHD100 camera so will sing ths rig be of help. And can i attach a zoom control on it?

Have a look at the photo galery at http://www.dvmultirig.com/id6.html
There are lot of HD-100 / MultiRig Configurations. See if any can help you.

Danny Natovich September 15th, 2006 01:28 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Christian Mallari
I love to hear from you with this Rig and I ask also Danny if this rig can be use to my XL2 camera

Yes, The MultiRig is good with the XL's, Just tested few at IBC.

Michael Liebergot September 16th, 2006 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Curran
Michael

What Camera are you using on the multirig?

Thanks

Andrew

Drew I'm using a Sony VX2100.

Michael Liebergot September 16th, 2006 07:11 AM

Just wanted to post some additional quick observations only experience with the multi rig last weekend.
The rig works as advertised and enables you to shoot in many configurations, handheld, fig rig (love this style with the support pod), tripod etc.
I was able to get VERY stable fluid shots in Fig Rig style mode (especially with the support pod).
The only issue that I have to work out is when shooting with the support pod and then switching to tripod mode for tripod mounting. The problem is due to the fact that you have to screw/unscrew the support pod to change confirgurations for tripod mounting. This was probably due to the fact that the rig was loaded up with shotgun mic, wireless receiver on handles, and PAG battery slung over shoulder. I had some accessories on order from Adormama that didn't arrive in time for me to mount on my camera that would have made things easier for my shooting configuration.
Because of the multple configs I wanted to try out, I didn't moount the PAG light battery on the back shoulder rest, and slung it over my shoulder instead (I had belt clips on order which didn't arrive in time and would have made my mounting of the rig on my tripod much easier).

Anyway it was very easy to change mounting configurations to and from the tripod when I hd the suport pod removed. I was actually able to mount the entire rig (with shoulder support) on the tripod and still stay perfectly balanced when panning with my Bogen tripod head (something not possible with my DVRig Pro, as the center of balance is not centered when mounted on tripod).

Shooting wa fatigue free and very easy on my body, which I expected for a 5 hour shoot.

I tried some nice moving camera shots, walking (fig rig with support pod mode) and shooting through a row of windows from the outside of the clubhouse looking into the dining room. I reviewed the footage and was really impressed on the smoothness of the shots.

Shooting in shoulder mode was very stable and steady (much better than monopod) for speeches and most of my clients won't know that I was shooting handheld as the footage is very stable.

Anyway, this is a quick post and I will have a more detailed review later when I post some quick clips to show what this rig can do.

Drew Curran September 20th, 2006 04:44 AM

Michael

Thanks for the reviews. They have been very informative.

Regards

Andrew

Michael Liebergot September 20th, 2006 11:46 AM

BTW, I have had several people contact me and ask if it's steady and fluid like a glidecam and such. As well as, doesn't the stabilizer move when it's attached to your waist like that.
Here's a brief answer to both of those questions.

"When the camera is resting on that stabilizer attached to your waist, wouldn't it move around as you walk?"

Actually there isn't much movement at all. This is because the support pod is actually 2 stage spring loaded.
When you want to walk you release the top portion of the support pod to give you a more stable shot. The spring loaded pod work like a set of shocks on your car.
The lower portion of the pod is used to adjust your camera height (low, eye view, overhead) and if you wanted to do booming or dutch style shooting you would have both portions of the pod free flowing and not locked down. I did find shooting is Fig Rig style (Arms turned up. Non shoulder mode) along with the support pod to be very smooth and fatigue free.

"Will this give me smooth shots like a Glidecam or Smooth Shooter?"

No. It's not a stedycam or Glidecam, and will NEVER give you ultra smooth walking or running shots like they do. But for all intensive purposes, the walking footage is good enough for a wedding video, not for cooperate work where a glidecam, smooth shooter is best served.

For all day, unobtrusive low profile, fatigue free, live event style shooting, where you can't setup your shots and have to get the shot at a moments notice with no second takes It's perfect.

My shooting style for example is as follows:
1. Anticipate the action
2. Get into position for the shot (Move from point A to B at a moments notice)
3. Capture the shot as it happens and follow it to it's completion. (This include some slight walking and camera movements on my part.)

So the advantage of a unit like this is:
1. I can shoot Fatigue FREE all day long (The unit weighs practically nothing so there is no added weight to my shooting)
2. Get steady stable shots in any position. (The rig is very compact and takes up no more space than my big fat body )
3. Apply, multiple steady handheld moving camera techniques. (This is done by just changing the rig configuration)
4. If needed, I can still mount my camera with the rig on a tripod, and continue shooting tripod lock down style.

Michael Liebergot October 16th, 2006 11:11 AM

I used the Multi Rig again this past Saturday to film an 80th Birthday party, and all I can say is the more I use this thing the more I love it.

The rig performed even better this time than the first time out. I was obviously more accustomed to shooting with it, and found a few more shooting styles which I could utilize.

I was able to attach all of the attachments (all 3 grips, arm extension (which had shotgun mic attached), and the shoulder support) to the rig and shoot and convert very easily to any configurations.

Since I discovered that I was able to use the grip extension on the left handle, I was then able to switch from handheld mode to Fig Rig mode without any problem. Actually I didn't really have a need to shoot in shoulder mode at all during the day and was mainly using the support pod and handheld or Fig Rig style shooting and got rock solid shots.
Also I discovered that while the shoulder support is attached then I was able to place the rig on the ground for resting or perfect low profile shooting (and just adjust the angle of the back support for flat or angled up footage).

I can really find this fantastic for when I am shooting a processional and the ring bearer or flower girl are coming down, in which I can switch from handheld or shoulder mode to low profile mode for great children shooting.
I would normally have to get down on my knees to do this before with or without my DVRig Pro, but no more...my knees are saved!

Thanks again Danny, me and my beaten up body thank you greatly.