Adapting a pro camera's shoulder piece to an XL1s at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports

Old March 24th, 2003, 01:12 PM   #1
Slash Rules!

Adapting a pro camera's shoulder piece to an XL1s

I have an XL1s, and I'm trying to find a more comfortable solution for handheld work. Recently I noticed that on pro cams, the piece that goes on your shoulder looks to be a separate piece from the body and head of the camera. I was wondering if anyone has tried buying one of these, and adapting it to screw into the tripod plate screw hole. This would help center the XL1s, a very front heavy camera, on your shoulder and keeping your arm from doing all the supporting. Anyway, just wanted some opinions. Doesn't seem like it would be that difficult, unless that shoulder piece costs like $30,000 or something.

"Josh," say those of you who know who I am, "don't you already have an MA100 AND a MediaPro?" Why yes, I do. The MA100 is simply inadequate, and the Media Pro is just awkward and too damn heavy. I need something that doesn't add a lot of mass or bulk to the camera, but puts the shoulder pad closer to where it would be on a pro camera. . .ideally for the XL1s it should mount on the tripod plate, or in that little area created by the angling up of the body. I suppose I would have but the system isolator to move the viewfinder forward if I did this, (or does it move it backward?) right?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2003, 01:29 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Actually a long time ago I received a tip for the Watchdog from somebody who said a certain Panasonic shoulder mount for one of their older video cameras would fit an XL1 perfectly. I'm not at home now so I can't look this up, but the camera model was something like a WV-F250, from the late '80's or early '90's.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2003, 04:37 PM   #3
Slash Rules!

Really? Cool. Who might have one of these cams? Think they'd sell just the shoulder piece?

I have now searched the net for info on this camera without finding any. Chris is right about the name, but that's all I've gathered. Help!

I hear people say "I can do so and so with my camera all day with no fatigue," and I want to be among this class of people.
Old March 25th, 2003, 03:41 PM   #4
Wrangler

So Josh, you finally ran out of regular XL1 stuff to buy, huh?

:)
Old March 25th, 2003, 04:56 PM   #5
Slash Rules!

Yes, that's very clever.
Old March 25th, 2003, 06:52 PM   #6
Wrangler

Actually, I'm very interested in your idea. I've never found an XL1 shoulder mount solution that I liked for long term use.
Old March 25th, 2003, 07:44 PM   #7
Slash Rules!

Well, see Chris's answer above. I did a search for that camera and came up with nothing.
Old March 26th, 2003, 01:58 AM   #8
Wrangler

I searched too, and also came up empty.

If I had a drawing as to what that one looked like, I could check out the feasability of having one made out of aluminum.
Old March 26th, 2003, 04:09 AM   #9
Slash Rules!

You and me both, brother. Of course, you would make mine and mail it to me.
Old March 26th, 2003, 06:41 AM   #10
Wrangler

The center of gravity of a stock XL1 is way forward; start adding accessories like wide-angle converters, especially the chunky Century Optics ones, and it keeps moving forward. Shifting the viewfinder forward with the "isolater" is a good start. Adding weight at the back such as an Anton Bauer mount is another. I have long threatened to build a custom base for my XL1 which would allow for proper weight distribution but haven't had time. A camera which is meant to be used handheld should balance on the shoulder, so that one can almost take one's hands off it. The XL1, for all its charms, was not built with this idea in mind. The MA200 with Anton Bauer mount was a step in the right direction, but really the shape of the body is all wrong for a truly ergonomic handheld setup. Let's hope the XL2 puts this in mind.
Old March 26th, 2003, 11:01 AM   #11
Wrangler

Who builds the shoulder mount with a battery accessory holder that goes a little bit down your back? I think it mounts the batteries WAY back there. Do you guys know the one I'm talking about? I've seen it but can't remember the name.
Old March 26th, 2003, 12:01 PM   #12
Slash Rules!

Sounds like the MediaPro, which I already have. Some people like it, doesn't really work for me. I would like something that actually moves the XL1s backward, so the there is less for your arm to support.
Old March 26th, 2003, 04:01 PM   #13
Contributor

Josh, we make them since the original XL1 was introduced...
www.dolgin.net

Alex Dolgin
http://www.dolgin.net
Alex Dolgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2003, 12:46 AM   #14
Slash Rules!

Looks a lot like the idea behind the mediapro, but not as much "height" to the part behind you. Maybe I'll chop half the back piece off.
Old March 30th, 2003, 10:44 AM   #15
Warden

I used to own a Panasonic WV-F250. It was introduced in the early ‘90’s. It had a detachable shoulder pad, but it was to accommodate the detachable VTR on the back. I’m sure it could be made to fit but it sure would look odd.

I get mine to balance fairly well by the use of the Lightwave extender Charles mentions. I use the MA-200 (not sure if that makes a difference over the MA-100) and mount the CH-910 with dual 945 batteries and a Sound Devices MM 1. If I’m doing wireless lavs, my Lectrosonics receiver is mounted on the back also. By hanging all that off the end I can get a fairly stable balance to the camera. I can use it for several hours in that configuration without getting too tired. I don’t know if you can get all day comfort out of an XL1, it’s just not designed for that type of work.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports