DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Shoulder & Handheld Supports (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/shoulder-handheld-supports/)
-   -   Multrig setup questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/shoulder-handheld-supports/83161-multrig-setup-questions.html)

Chris Li January 4th, 2007 04:59 PM

Multrig setup questions

Prepping my HVX/Mulit rig combo - nice work, Danny. Wondering how to attach a zoe zoom contol to right front handgrip. Must I slice off an inch of handgrip foam?

HVX/Multirig combo is a little shaky when attached(collapsed) to my sachtler tripod. Camera jiggles when I touch it. not good. too springy.
Not sure about a solution, but I think if I stuff a wooden wedge or something under the camera screw it might help .

Bruce S. Yarock January 5th, 2007 01:18 AM

Chris,
I found the same thing with the tripod issue. My canon H1 is heavier than the HVx, and it was also springy. For now, I put a manfrotto 577 adapter where you would mount the camera, and slide the camera in and out. Tell me if you figure omething out to be able to keep that arm from springing up and down.
The multirig is quite impressive, but I haven't used it on job yet(need to get more used to it before hand). I find that to use it in what Danny call the "stabilizer plus mode" with a camera as heavy as the H1, you have to really tighten the arms with the allen wrench. If not, the camera pushes on the pod in towards the belt holster, and the arms pull in to your body.
I also tried it with my Sony FX1, and it works like a dream. I think the multirig is better with a camera similar in size to the Fx1, HVx, DVx etc. I wonder whether the dv rig xl would be better for the loaded H1.
But on the other hand, the multi can be configured so many different ways...I need to work with it a bit more to decide.
i must say tht it's great buying from a company like Danny's. The concern for customer satisfaction is refreshing in today's market.
Bruce S. yarock
www.yarock.com

Danny Natovich January 5th, 2007 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Li
Prepping my HVX/Mulit rig combo - nice work, Danny. Wondering how to attach a zoe zoom contol to right front handgrip. Must I slice off an inch of handgrip foam?

HVX/Multirig combo is a little shaky when attached(collapsed) to my sachtler tripod. Camera jiggles when I touch it. not good. too springy.
Not sure about a solution, but I think if I stuff a wooden wedge or something under the camera screw it might help .

Yes, a wine botle cork will do the job and will not scratch or damage.

Bruce S. Yarock January 5th, 2007 06:49 AM

Danny,
You mean put the cork underneath, between the folded grip and the arm?
Bruce S. Yarock
www.yarock.com

Danny Natovich January 5th, 2007 03:53 PM

After you enjoy the wine, Has to be a good one.. you cut the cork to size and place it between the bottom of the main bracket and the folded arm.

Chris Li January 5th, 2007 08:10 PM

I'll drink to that ! What about using my zoe zoom control on the handgrip?
Any recommended workaround? When I clamp it around the foam handle, it twists/turns when I try to zoom.

thanks,

chris li/metro wash. dc

Bruce S. Yarock January 5th, 2007 08:33 PM

Danny,
I stopped drinking 20 years ago, so I guess I'll have to find a wino to help me out.I'd ask my parents but Manischevitz Wine doen't use corks.
Bruce S. yarock

George Yousko January 5th, 2007 10:14 PM

Chris,

That's curious. I have the DV Rig Pro complete with foam handles - using a Manfrotto lanc controller. When attached (over the foam) it locks down without any play or slippage - it's just there - period - rock stable. Isn't a foam handle a foam handle? Different materials maybe?

Perhaps the secret is to always wear a blue shirt - I do and haven't had any issues. Hey, give a try - what do you have to lose?

George

Danny Natovich January 6th, 2007 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Li
I'll drink to that ! What about using my zoe zoom control on the handgrip?
Any recommended workaround? When I clamp it around the foam handle, it twists/turns when I try to zoom.

You can tighten the zoe even more so it wont swing, but the rocker switch will sunk into the foam and get stuck. right ? this is because the zoe box bottom
is on the same surface as the rocker lower section.

You have to find a piece of hose or plastic pipe, cut a slice as long as the zoe
body size (without the rocker) cut a slot in the pipe and clamp it on the foam grip, when you clamp the zoe over that pipe, the rocker won't touch the foam and you can tighten harder. if the pipe is too thin you can put few more layers until you get it right.

Another solution is to cut part of the grip foam and clamp the zoe straight to
the inner aluninium tube.

Danny Natovich January 6th, 2007 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Yousko
When attached (over the foam) it locks down without any play or slippage - it's just there - period - rock stable. Isn't a foam handle a foam handle? Different materials maybe?

Same foam handles in the DvRigPro and the MultiRig.

Chris Li January 6th, 2007 08:01 AM

Hosed

"find a piece of hose or plastic pipe"

Thanks for the tips, Danny. You've thought this all out and saved me from re-inventing the wheel.
What about this one?

I tried to leave my Sachtler tripod plate attached to multirig but it's too wide to fit between the collapsed foam handles.
My apparent solution is to switch to the narrower bogen 577 quick release assembly as bogen plate will just fit.
Any way to stick w/sachtler plate?

Danny Natovich January 7th, 2007 03:44 AM

[QUOTE=Chris Li
I tried to leave my Sachtler tripod plate attached to multirig but it's too wide to fit between the collapsed foam handles.
My apparent solution is to switch to the narrower bogen 577 quick release assembly as bogen plate will just fit.
Any way to stick w/sachtler plate?[/QUOTE]

Chris,

I do not see the problem with a wide plate ! the plate bracket is lower then the other arms. Pls mail me a clarification photo.

Chris Li January 7th, 2007 04:24 PM

Sachtler plate

Problem solved. I had the 2 collapsed outside handles facing wrong direction.
Once I rotated them 180 degrees plate fit fine.
Still looking for the right cork. Next bottle of Pinot Noir might do the trick.

George Yousko January 7th, 2007 06:09 PM

Chris,

A word about Danny - still haven't decided what I'm more impressed with - his product or his service. He's a rare find!

Enjoy the rig.

George