Fig Rig and Gyro at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 1st, 2007, 04:28 AM   #1
New Boot

Fig Rig and Gyro

Any one ever use a fig rig and a gyro together. Pro/Cons?

We need to shoot out of a helicopter and there are no camera mounted supports where we are at.

If anyone has a pict that would be great also.

Thanks,

Kevin Sullivan
Kevin Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 05:50 AM   #2
Major Player

Kevin, what camera are you using?

If you can hire, then something like a Schwem gyrozoom or the Stabilized Canon J13 may work. I guess you have some money to spend if you are hiring a helicopter.
Mike Marriage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 07:32 AM   #3
New Boot

Update

Actually it is a Sony Z1. Helicopter free from the company we are working for. I actually wish there was something to hire here.

We were figuring to attach the gyro to the Fig Rig and then Shoot out the door of the copter. Flying over oil rigs out at sea.

Here in Azerbaijan, everyone owns there own equipment and are a little freakish to rent out. We end up buying stuff and then renting it out trying to help a few of the local younger filmmakers. Got a few of the other companies to do so also. Kind of crazy.

Kevin
Old March 1st, 2007, 09:37 AM   #4
Major Player

I have used gyros once before, but not in a helicopter. I would think that the fig rig would get pretty heavy with a set on it.

I have some aerials coming up too and have limited equipment that I can carry to the location. I was thinking about hiring a fig rig and XHA1 because the Canon OIS systems tend to be pretty good. Not sure what the OIS on the Z1 is like though. The important thing is to isolate the camera from the helicopter as much as possible with your body. I would think a fig rig would help to do this.

I have shot in a helicopter many times without any stabilization and you can get very good results, especially if you stay wide. You can also use zoom to hide the wobbles a bit. Check wind direction (the pilot will know about this) and try and shoot using the most stable angle. Turning a helicopter 90 degrees can really smooth out the ride.

Sorry I'm not much help on the gyros but I'd be interested to hear if anyone has tried this.
Mike Marriage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 12:55 PM   #5
Wrangler

Hope you don't drop it...!!!
Old March 2nd, 2007, 12:07 AM   #6
New Boot

Thanks

Will let you guys know. Definitely won't drop it. It will be safety'd off. Would hate to lose my equipment.
Cameraman has done a bunch of work from helicopter's before. Always looking for something new to try when in these situations.

Kevin
Old March 2nd, 2007, 10:31 AM   #7
Tourist

Z1 Gyro

Is there an EasyRig available in your area? You can hook up the loaded Fig Rig to the EasyRig and take a lot of the weight off your arms and put it on your hips. That should help disconnect the movement of the rig from the copter.
Gary Pillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2007, 04:56 AM   #8
DV Rig Pro

... or use a MultiRig Stabilizer+. the shock absorbing pod will isolate the camera from the vibrations and will support loads of up to about 5 Kg. because it is held by your arms only, you will be able to shoot in extreme tilt angles. Few users report decent results shooting from boats, helicopters and off road driving with no gyro.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports