DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Shoulder & Handheld Supports (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/shoulder-handheld-supports/)
-   -   DV MultiRig in shoulder support mode (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/shoulder-handheld-supports/95538-dv-multirig-shoulder-support-mode.html)

Piotr Wozniacki June 1st, 2007 04:31 AM

DV MultiRig in shoulder support mode

Just how many degrees of freedom does it have when configured with shoulder support? Can I pan and tilt it, or do I move my whole upper body?

Is the DVRigPro any different in this respect?

Last, but not least: any independent opinions on the walk-shooting smothness?

Joe Goldsberry June 1st, 2007 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki (Post 690151)
Just how many degrees of freedom does it have when configured with shoulder support? Can I pan and tilt it, or do I move my whole upper body?

I just bought one and I'm fairly happy with it. The problem with it is the arms don't lock into place and you can't tighten them to lock into place.

The directions are worthless. Mine tell me to watch the online video.

Having said that, I think it will benefit me especially with the support rod that goes into a holster on your belt to support the weight of the camera.

Joe

Danny Natovich June 1st, 2007 03:39 PM

Quote:

>> In the shoulder support mode, You can tilt about 20 degrees up and down with out baending your back. You pan with your body

In the StabilizerPlus mode (No shoulder brace) the camera is free to do 3D movments without moving your body.

Quote:

>>> Same as in the shoulder support mode.

Quote:

>>> Not bad in shoulder mode, Great in stabilizer mode. very close to hand held stabilizer results, with no fatigue at all. Never as good as "real" gimble and spring arm steadicam

Danny Natovich June 1st, 2007 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Goldsberry (Post 690165)
I just bought one and I'm fairly happy with it. The problem with it is the arms don't lock into place and you can't tighten them to lock into place.

Use the allen wrench to tighten the arm/grip joints realy strong.

Mail me any comments or questions you have, I am here to help.

Piotr Wozniacki June 2nd, 2007 12:12 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Natovich (Post 690456)
>> In the shoulder support mode, You can tilt about 20 degrees up and down with out baending your back. You pan with your body

In the StabilizerPlus mode (No shoulder brace) the camera is free to do 3D movments without moving your body.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki
Just how many degrees of freedom does MultiRigPro have when configured with shoulder support? Can I pan and tilt it, or do I move my whole upper body?

>>> Same as in the shoulder support mode.

Well, there is some confusion here, which is why I'm asking this question; on the web page, you're saying on the DVRigPro:

"The incorporated “Shock absorbing support Pod”. absorbs walking shoots shakes and enables the operator to freely Tilt, Pan, Dutch and adjust camera height" - even though it has the shoulder brace.

So, does it allow for tilting, cranning etc. or not? My understanding of the web site info is that the DvRigPro does (see attachements), while MultiRigPro doesn't - but now you're saying otherwise.

However, there must be some difference between the two products - and I'm trying to find out exactly what they are (apart from many MultiRig's "modes", of course). Specifically, I'd like to know the exact differences between them in the shoulder support mode, as it's this mode where they're really comparable.

Danny Natovich June 2nd, 2007 01:50 PM

Piotr,

If all you want is the best shoulder brace support go with the DvRigPro.

If the MultiRig's comapctness, Light weight, versatility, Multi use, Stabilizer option, are not important to you then go with the DvRigPro. for standard front mounted camera or the DvRigProHD that can be also used with 35mm adaptors.

In sholder mode the DvRigPro is balanced by the back weight weight. Its own weight approx. 3 Kg helps in stable shoots. the shoulder brace always stays on your shoulder.

The MultiRig is for more dynamic shoots and accept for long stable position shoots, the shoulder brace is not needed.

It is very dificult to go into all diferances in writing, You have to test the two and see what works best for you. Contact your local dealer and make an appointment to test both.

Another option is, order both, and you have two weeks to return one of them. It will cost you
the mailling back and maybe also the VAT on the returned unit.

Hope this was helpfull.

Joe Goldsberry June 3rd, 2007 07:19 AM

I used my MultiRigPro at a wedding for the first time yesterday. Here's my thoughts.

First a little background. I've been a professional videographer since 1981. I've always used the big shoulder cameras - which IMHO, can't be beat. The Z1 is my first small "handycam". Before trying the MultiRigPro, I tried a monopod which didn't work well at all.

The MultiRigPro certainly makes holding the camera (Sony Z1) easier and steadier. The telescopic rod supports all of the weight of the camera and the handles help to keep the camera level. I don't think it's designed to be a "steadycam", I couldn't walk and shoot with it, but it works well as a support device. I shot the entire ceremony and reception with it (short, outdoor ceremony).

I tightened the arm/grip joints - thanks Danny, and that helped at lot.

My main criticism is with the telescopic rod - it's not smooth. Sometimes when tilting up, or ped-ing up, the rod would suddenly extend out a little, resulting in an un-smooth shot. Is there a way to lubricate the rod so it's smoother?

Joe

Piotr Wozniacki June 3rd, 2007 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Goldsberry (Post 691120)
I don't think it's designed to be a "steadycam", I couldn't walk and shoot with it, but it works well as a support device.

Well, this is what I'm most curious about; I already have a shoulder support which is great for supporting the camera weight, but no good for walk-shooting; I was hoping the DvRigPro (or MultiRigPro) would make it possible at last. Well, I gues I'll have to check it myself before I sell my old one!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Goldsberry (Post 691120)
My main criticism is with the telescopic rod - it's not smooth. Sometimes when tilting up, or ped-ing up, the rod would suddenly extend out a little, resulting in an un-smooth shot. Is there a way to lubricate the rod so it's smoother?

Joe

This isn't the only one report about the rod jerkiness; Danny - could you comment & advise?

Danny Natovich June 3rd, 2007 10:14 AM

Joe,

Try walking shoots in the StabilizerPlus mode, (No shoulder brace).
The shoulder brace transmits a lot of body moves to the rig and will never work well for walking.

Pod test -
1. Try locking one section it helps when only one section works as shock absorber and the other is locked.

2. Test each section (lock the other) and see if you can feel any jerky spot,
If so, let me know and I will instruct you on what to do. You are under warenty.

Piotr Wozniacki June 3rd, 2007 10:35 AM

Danny,

Is the spring load constant, or can it be adjusted to the actual camera weight? I guess (before even trying the MultiRig), that for smooth walking-shot, there can be a considerable difference between what is best for say a bare PD, and for a HVX with a matte box and other additional stuff.

Danny Natovich June 3rd, 2007 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki (Post 691189)
Danny,

Is the spring load constant, or can it be adjusted to the actual camera weight? I guess (before even trying the MultiRig), that for smooth walking-shot, there can be a considerable difference between what is best for say a bare PD, and for a HVX with a matte box and other additional stuff.

No, the springs are not adjustable. the top section has softer springs then the low section, so in theory you can choose soft, hard, or both.

It is not a precision mechanism like a pro. steadicam arm and will never give you the same floating results. Alot depands on your technic, if you are a good "waltz" dancer it will work for you but if you can only do the "Krakoviac"
then its a problem...

Piotr Wozniacki June 5th, 2007 12:22 PM

Danny,

The LAFCPUG review of the MultiRigPro states:

"Additional threads to attach the support rod to accommodate front heavy cams with adaptors, matte boxes, and filters, and for attaching camera plates have been provided"

Now, I'd like my MultiRig to be future proof, so the above is very important to me. May I know when those changes were introduced? The reason I'm asking is that I'll be buying it from a local distributor, who says he's got MultiRigs in stock - can I be assured it will be such an "improved" version? How do I recognize it is - a serial number, or some other easily noticeable feature?

Piotr Wozniacki June 6th, 2007 08:37 AM

OK - so today I got the MultiRig Pro and tried it for the first time. Won't comment on the achievable walking shots smoothness just yet; I realize I need a little practice for best using it.

I have a question, though: should I engage OIS on at all, and if so - in the Normal or Hard setting (Sony V1E).