PAG Orbitor vs DvRigPro at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old June 9th, 2007, 10:03 AM   #1
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Poland
Posts: 4,086
PAG Orbitor vs DvRigPro

There are many flavours of this type of a rig in the market; most are similar to the DVRigPro, but one is outstanding in that it has all possible degrees of freedom for camera movements: the PAG Orbitor.

Now, my question is this: has anyone tried both types, and is the PAG Orbitor any better?
__________________
Sony PXW-FS7 | DaVinci Resolve Studio; Magix Vegas Pro; i7-5960X CPU; 64 GB RAM; 2x GTX 1080 8GB GPU; Decklink 4K Extreme 12G; 4x 3TB WD Black in RAID 0; 1TB M.2 NVMe cache drive
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 07:32 AM   #2
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Motukarara, New Zealand
Posts: 475
I own a pag orbiter and have never touched a dv rig.
With that in mind, here is my opinion:

The divrig can tilt up and down quite a bit, where the pag, due to the support bar causing resistance, has limited up/down tilting.

The pag is able to pan side to side, where the dv rig is not designed to. however, Panning side to side seems easier/smoother to do by turning your waist rather than the pag, so that really isnt much of an advantage.

The pag can support your camera hands free. (not sure if the dvrig can or cannot.

This is far from scientific, but the people who own the dv rig are always raving about it on the forums. I own the pag and I just havent found it all that exciting. Not too useful, i know... but if i could get my money back, i'd jump at the chance. It always sounds like the dvrig users would require some cold dead finger prying.

my random 2c.
-a
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 12:14 AM   #3
DV Rig Pro
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Tel Aviv Israel
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Dean View Post
I own a pag orbiter and have never touched a dv rig.
With that in mind, here is my opinion:

The divrig can tilt up and down quite a bit, where the pag, due to the support bar causing resistance, has limited up/down tilting.

The pag is able to pan side to side, where the dv rig is not designed to. however, Panning side to side seems easier/smoother to do by turning your waist rather than the pag, so that really isnt much of an advantage.

The pag can support your camera hands free. (not sure if the dvrig can or cannot.

This is far from scientific, but the people who own the dv rig are always raving about it on the forums. I own the pag and I just havent found it all that exciting. Not too useful, i know... but if i could get my money back, i'd jump at the chance. It always sounds like the dvrig users would require some cold dead finger prying.

my random 2c.
-a
Not sure if I am getting you right... Mail me if you want to swop your rig for a DvRigPro.

Danny.
natovich@inter.net.il
__________________
www.dvtec.tv
Danny Natovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 03:27 PM   #4
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Great Neck, NY
Posts: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Natovich View Post
Not sure if I am getting you right... Mail me if you want to swop your rig for a DvRigPro.

Danny.
natovich@inter.net.il
How much is the pan? I was looking at it but can't find a price in the US, I like the suspension arm and rotation. I have a spider brace and steadistick which when together work well, but the steadstick arm is not a shock its just a slide and lock type I would love it if it were a shock absorbing arm with a lock for complete lockout, the pan may have that feature built in.
__________________
Stephen Eastwood
http://www.StephenEastwood.com
Stephen Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 09:33 PM   #5
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Motukarara, New Zealand
Posts: 475
I had forgotten i had posted here.. I was like "hey, that guys's sentiments are just like mine"... then i saw that it WAS me. haha.

The pag orbiter is $600, $50 more than the dvrig and the same price as the dvrigproHD.

The pag has a stabilizer bar, but it doesnt "absorb shock"... at least not in a useful way. It mainly just provides support for the camera and while letting you raise and lower the camera. If you try to walk around? It doesnt smooth out much of anything, and if you have the orbiter anywhere but pushed way back on your shoulder (so your camera lcd would be like 2" from your eye), then the stabilizer bar isnt smooth going up and down.

As a body mounted camera support, the pag works fine . if you want to do anything in the way of moves, I wouldn't buy it. I have never touched a dvrig pro, but if Danny was really offering to let me trade my pag for a dvrigpro (especially a hd), then I would absolutely take him up on that. I've never heard anything but good reviews of the dvrigpro. You can't say the same about the pag.

In the whole time i've owned my orbiter, i have never used it on a shoot. Not even once! I have dragged it around, but when it came down to pulling it out, the hassle/performance was too annoying and so it never came out. . For the money, i would have hoped to have found at least one instance where it was the right tool.

Obviously these are just my opinions and my experiences, but hopefully it will offer you a different perspective.

cheers,
-a
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 02:52 AM   #6
DV Rig Pro
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Tel Aviv Israel
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Dean View Post
I have never touched a dvrig pro, but if Danny was really offering to let me trade my pag for a dvrigpro (especially a hd), then I would absolutely take him up on that. I've never heard anything but good reviews of the dvrigpro. You can't say the same about the pag.
Sorry, someone else already "jumped" on the offer, I only needed one unit.
__________________
www.dvtec.tv
Danny Natovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2008, 08:11 PM   #7
Tourist
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Upland CA
Posts: 1
DVRigProHD vs. PAG

My biggest concern with the PAG was the construction. There are critical joints that are made of plastic. For someone like me who has a heavy camera, this was a worry.

I decided to go with the DVRig ProHD, and I am happy with that decision. Price is a bit high but worth it.
Steve Bernard is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:52 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network