DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Feature I'm working on (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/101828-feature-im-working.html)

Brian Duke August 22nd, 2007 05:02 AM

Feature I'm working on

I have included a clip from the feature I shot the last few months and I have been experimenting a bit last few days. Thought I wanted to share a small clip of something I am fooling around with. No sound has been done. Just the raw audio, so no mixing, sound design etc. Also still working on color correction and editing.

Any questions and comments are welcome, regardless of how bad they are =)

It will be eventually an urban tale of 5 guys trying to make it the fast way. I know, it sounds like its been done before, but I think I made an effort to make it different. Time will tell.

It was shot using the HD100/200 and Mini35. Tim Dashwood's bleach bypass was used, cause I love it =)

Link: www.youtube.com/superbadduke

Click on "The Last Score" Rough Opening Feature Film Experimental"

Yeah, I know its youtube, but for a variety of good reasons I can't upload high quality yet.

Brian Duke August 22nd, 2007 09:24 PM

No one? Anything is welcome.

Mathieu Ghekiere August 23rd, 2007 05:34 AM

Hi Brian,

I thought the editing was good, the acting was good too (although I hate that kind of hiphop tough talk, but they acted very believable) and visually it was pretty good.

I thought your beginning story (with the date) was very intriguing start, and immediately made you care about that character, because he seems to have a soft spot. I didn't like the music from Requiem for a Dream in that opening, it fitted, but it's used sooo many times, and I always associate it with Requiem, so I don't 'believe' it anymore in another film.

I thought the opening talk also needed more time with those characters, more introduction. But, you did a pretty good job.

Bert Smyth August 23rd, 2007 09:55 AM

I haven't seen Requiem for a Dream. I liked your film though. It was engaging and I wanted to keep watching. Really nice cinematography as well. Felt like I was watching a very professional production. Was the bleach bypass a camera setting? Not familiar with Tim Dashwood.

Brian Duke August 23rd, 2007 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mathieu Ghekiere (Post 732906)
I didn't like the music from Requiem for a Dream in that opening, it fitted, but it's used sooo many times, and I always associate it with Requiem, so I don't 'believe' it anymore in another film.

I thought the opening talk also needed more time with those characters, more introduction. But, you did a pretty good job.

Hi Mathieu,

Thanks so much for the comments. The music is just temp. We haven't done the original score yet, so not to worry. We are NOT using that music. It was used to get a sense of what "type" of music we are going to be using. The fact that you said it "fitted" makes me happy because I am using it an example of music to be used. Again, we obviously are going to have original composed music in the film, as you rightfully said Clint Mansell's music has been used too many times.

The scene is obviously much longer so we get to know the characters more. I just posted a small part of it to get some initial feedback like you gave me. Thanks again and please , if you have anything else let me know

Duke

Brian Duke August 23rd, 2007 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bert Smyth (Post 733035)
Was the bleach bypass a camera setting? Not familiar with Tim Dashwood.

Bert, thanks also for taking the time to view and comment. It means a lot to get the feedback.

The bleach bypass is indeed a camera setting by Tim Dashwood, one of the JVC moderators. However, I did tweak it even more in post to get a unique look. I hope I succeeded.

D

Bert Smyth August 23rd, 2007 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Duke (Post 733071)
I hope I succeeded.
D

You sure did, it looked great.

Chris Rentzel August 23rd, 2007 09:44 PM

I liked the look of the film, and the high wide shots. Nice. Not my kind of film I would go see, but it looks believable, and to me, THAT is one of the hardest things to do. Most low-budget indy stuff looks and feels low budget. This didn't. Good work.

Brian Duke August 23rd, 2007 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Rentzel (Post 733379)
I liked the look of the film, and the high wide shots. Nice. Not my kind of film I would go see, but it looks believable, and to me, THAT is one of the hardest things to do. Most low-budget indy stuff looks and feels low budget. This didn't. Good work.

Hi Chris,

I really appreciate you taking the time out to leave a comment. It really helps me in my decision making when completing it. Its always great to hear positive feedback, but I welcome adverse comments too if they are constructive.

Creating a genre that is for "everyone" is really hard to do. This is based on a true story from when I lived in NYC and people I knew, so its very specific. Very urban and street. Although I think if you watch the whole film it really is just about friends and families and the decisions they make and how it affects them, and on that level probably most people can relate.

I'm glad that you can separate your personal taste and still be able to judge this without any prejudice. Some people just don't like any other movie if it isn't their taste. Its like music. There is a lot I can say is well made and good, just not my taste or that I would buy so I am glad you made the comments you did.

Thanks Duke

Chris Rentzel August 24th, 2007 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Duke (Post 733388)
Creating a genre that is for "everyone" is really hard to do.

Well, as they say, "if you try to please everyone, you will please no one."

First and foremost, make something for YOU. Something YOU will enjoy. Then, as you have seemed to have done, make it believable. Others that like your genre will be lifelong fans!

Chris
www.TriangleWomanMovie.com

Brian Duke August 24th, 2007 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Rentzel (Post 733434)
Well, as they say, "if you try to please everyone, you will please no one."

First and foremost, make something for YOU. Something YOU will enjoy. Then, as you have seemed to have done, make it believable. Others that like your genre will be lifelong fans!

Chris
www.TriangleWomanMovie.com

That's what I tried to say, but you articulated it much better. I do do films that I either want to see or want to tell and they will find an audicence, big or small.