DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   The Missionary Position - Comedy, Short Film (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/102034-missionary-position-comedy-short-film.html)

Kevin Carpenter August 24th, 2007 01:10 PM

The Missionary Position - Comedy, Short Film

The Missionary Position

Mormon Missionaries and Jehovah's Witnesses cross paths while spreading the word of God.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MBubw8BMK8

Written and Produced by Matt Joyce
Directed and Edited by Kevin Carpenter

I would enjoy hearing any review or critique of my film! If you have a spare moment I would also love it if you hooked me up on YouTube (comment, rate, subscribe, etc).

Thanks in advance!

Bert Smyth August 24th, 2007 01:48 PM

I liked it, but felt that the ending needed something more, a twist or some ironic outcome more than what the ending was (I don't want to give it away).

The editing, camera angles, audio, and even the acting were all pretty good, very "solid". I think you need to now focus on lighting, as a lot of the actors were back lit, faces with too much shadow. I think if you upped the lighting, you'd have a really great production going. Other than that, everything else was really well done.

Kevin Carpenter August 24th, 2007 02:18 PM

Hehe, I'm starting my lighting class next week!

Yeah I've heard from a couple people that the ending could have used some kind of twist, but the way it ended was as intended.

Thanks for the compliments!

Tunde Anjorin September 3rd, 2007 09:32 PM

Dude that video rocked man!!!!!!! The lighting was not to shabby man don't beat yourself with a stick... Once again great work!!!!!

Brian Duke September 3rd, 2007 09:47 PM

Very interesting. Started out good. Could probably be a little tighter overall. Didn't need THAT many door openings. We get the point after 1-2 doors. COuld probably be about 2-3 minutes. If you are going to make a comedy, you may wanna stay away from real bloody messy scenes. Just caught me off guard and didn't seem to match the real good potential opening. Just my opinion, but I agree with some of the others, you probably could have more of a twist at the end, in lieu of the blood fights and semi rape scene.

Don't worry about the lighting. I didn't see an issue. Work more on the story telling aspect.

Keep it up.

Kevin Carpenter September 5th, 2007 02:03 PM

Thanks for the review Brian! I really appreciate the input. The bloody, violent, semi-rape scenes are the ones that make me laugh the hardest. I guess my idea of comedy is a little different then yours. :D

Tunde - Glad you liked it!!

Brian Duke September 5th, 2007 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Carpenter (Post 739718)
Thanks for the review Brian! I really appreciate the input. The bloody, violent, semi-rape scenes are the ones that make me laugh the hardest. I guess my idea of comedy is a little different then yours. :D

Tunde - Glad you liked it!!

I'm sure most people have a different idea of comedy, however, there is a difference of what a "comedy" is and what makes you laugh. I laugh at Fargo, Goodfellas, Requiem for a Dream, but they are not comedies. I may be wrong, but I think most people will have a hard time swallowing brutal gruesome violence images as comedic. Second, I just though it may have been a cheap way to end a potential really funny short. You can have fights, but to make them violent and bloody, hmm, well, that's just my opinion.

Good luck.

Kevin Carpenter September 5th, 2007 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Duke (Post 739720)
I'm sure most people have a different idea of comedy, however, there is a difference of what a "comedy" is and what makes you laugh. I laugh at Fargo, Goodfellas, Requiem for a Dream, but they are not comedies. I may be wrong, but I think most people will have a hard time swallowing brutal gruesome violence images as comedic. Second, I just though it may have been a cheap way to end a potential really funny short. You can have fights, but to make them violent and bloody, hmm, well, that's just my opinion.

Good luck.

Ahh you're totally right. Not a comedy, I understand what you mean. I also agree that most people won't find the violence funny, that's ok with me though. The concept had the potential to go in a different direction at the end and be something else (the writer and i even discussed it), but I liked it the way it was. A funny, offensive, gruesome, microcosm of world religion. We knew we would lose some people who were expecting a gimmicky twist at the end but it felt good to not do it.