DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Beautiful F350 pics (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/102747-beautiful-f350-pics.html)

Phil Bloom September 2nd, 2007 03:04 PM

Beautiful F350 pics

http://web.mac.com/philip.bloom/Phil...om/Sunset.html

shot on xdcam hd

Bert Smyth September 3rd, 2007 09:07 AM

Well, I loved it. This is the kind of thing I love to come across, a real pleasure to watch. The shot composition, music, and editing were all outstanding. I love how most (was it all, can't remember) of your shots are locked off, no zooming or pans. This is what a lot of students don't understand, visual storytelling. A great example of how a well composed shot can be all you need, let the subject do the talking for you.

The opening was really well done too.

There are only two tiny edits I would change, and one would assist the other. I love all the water stuff at the start, great DOF. But when you cut to the shot of the sun, the next shot goes back to the similar water CU and then you go into a bunch of different shots. I would just go right into the different landscape shots after that shot of the sun, because it feels like a natural transition anyway; you've moved on from the water at that point. I'd use the time left from taking out that water CU to add time to the shot of photographers on the hill. I really liked that shot but it went by in an instant. That was the second thing I'd change.

Thanks for sharing. To me, that's the kind of stuff that makes video production and this forum worthwhile.

Colin Sato September 3rd, 2007 11:53 AM

Great video! I'm curious; when you were shooting the sun going down, did you use a ND filter of any type? Any concerns about burning the optics?

Phil Bloom September 3rd, 2007 01:17 PM

Cheers Bert,

Thanks for looking and commenting. I have done a couple of tweaks. I just loved the water shot so much, and it was different to the earlier one. The first one was shot 50fps and the second was normal speak 25fps. Put a slow dissolve in now and made the photographer shot longer.

Colin,

I did have a matte box on with tobacco grad on and shot with the cameras built in ND on filter 4. Always concerned about burning the optics as I love filming sunsets a lot! The sun is quite weak at that time of day, my shots of the sun at midday are the ones I worry about!

Mark Williams September 3rd, 2007 05:23 PM

Phil,

Absolutely beautiful and set to a great music track. I like your attention to detail. Our shooting styles are somewhat similar but you have raised the bar for me. Great use of the cams capabilities. I really liked the DOF shots. Thanks for sharing it.

Greg Boston September 3rd, 2007 05:55 PM

Nice stuff, Phil. What lens? I see you have some of the same issues I can't get rid of. The shot from 2:00 to 2:10 exhibits that green/magenta fringing on the out of focus objects. It bugs me because, as you know, the camera can produce some stunning images.

-gb-

P.S. I merged the thread in XDCAM HD with this one. Please DO NOT crosspost at DVINFO. The Show Your Work forum is the most appropriate for this thread.

Bert Smyth September 4th, 2007 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Bloom (Post 738647)
Always concerned about burning the optics as I love filming sunsets a lot! The sun is quite weak at that time of day, my shots of the sun at midday are the ones I worry about!

I've been to a number of professiional camera demos, and while I don't know about your specific camera, they always say that this is not an issue, so I wouldn't worry. Aren't grad filters just great?

Alister Chapman September 4th, 2007 10:33 AM

Beautiful Images and music. I'de love to see it on a big HD screen. Really emotive.

I'm not convinced that out of focus fringing is always a fault as such. I've seen it on so many lenses and so many cameras that I am starting to believe that it is something to do with the way different wavelengths of light behave within the prism when they the lens is not in focus.

Greg Boston September 4th, 2007 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alister Chapman (Post 739071)
I've seen it on so many lenses and so many cameras that I am starting to believe that it is something to do with the way different wavelengths of light behave within the prism when they the lens is not in focus.

Totally agree as to the theory, was just lamenting that it rears its ugly head in our attempts to make beautiful images. From the reading I have done, it seems to be a part of the compromise of zoom lenses. Perhaps they just can't overcome the problem. Or can they? Is this perhaps addressed in what Panasonic touts on some of their new camera/lens combos with CAC, chromatic aberration correction.

-gb-

Phil Bloom September 4th, 2007 03:26 PM

sorry about double post. Was more about just shouting out just how this camera impresses me more and more every day.

got the standard 20x canon HD lens. Not sure what the model number is

Warren Kawamoto September 4th, 2007 06:29 PM

That was beautiful! What soundtrack was that from? Sounds like James Howard.

Tunde Anjorin September 5th, 2007 09:02 PM

Hey phil,
I've been perusing your website....The dusk video is awesome to say the least your videos are seriously making me swith to one of the sony cams!

Phil Bloom September 6th, 2007 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto (Post 739317)
That was beautiful! What soundtrack was that from? Sounds like James Howard.

james newton howard "lady in the water"

Sony cameras are lovely but am sure the Panasonics will shoot just as lovely pics (to be honest I have shot some gorgeous stuff with my JVC 201 too and even my Sony A1e!)