"Like Moles, Like Rats" Final Trailer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old September 11th, 2007, 02:46 PM   #1
Regular Crew

"Like Moles, Like Rats" Final Trailer

As some of you know, I've been working as visual effects supervisor on my first feature length independent film. Post Production will be done within a week, and I just wanted to show everyone the official website and the final trailer.

Go to...

http://www.likemoleslikerats.com/

You can navigate around the site and view the trailer but clicking the "Trailer" button, obviously.

The trailer features a few of my visual effects shots, comments and critiques are welcome on that as well.
Daniel Broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2007, 08:46 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Website rock dude!!!! I'll be brief...I'll give you the good first you film looks very professional, I see good production value, the acting looks good from what I've seen,and the visuals look very plausibel give your self a high five!!!!!!!

The trailer needs to be reworked! Most people don't know how effective a good trailer can be, and a good trailer can set your flick apart from all the rest out there. I 'd suggest paying someone who cuts trailers to do it, because I think your flick really looks that good!!
Tunde Anjorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 02:10 AM   #3
Major Player

Highly well done. Everything looks great, lighting, acting, sound. But isn't that the story of Children of Men?
Old September 13th, 2007, 03:10 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the replies. I should mention again, that this is not my film. The film is directed by Jim Torres. I am merely their visual effects guy. But I will pass your words along.

The movie does share some similarities to Children of Men, but the story arc, from my understanding is far different. That being said, I've never watched Children of Men, I'm just saying what I've been told.

Thanks again.
Old September 13th, 2007, 04:04 AM   #5
Major Player

no problem i hope i didn`t offend. The film still looks great, and honestly I haven't seen children of men either so I can only compare trailers of what I've seen. I hope some day to edit at your level, it seriously looks great
Old September 13th, 2007, 03:25 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Quattrini View Post
no problem i hope i didn`t offend. The film still looks great, and honestly I haven't seen children of men either so I can only compare trailers of what I've seen. I hope some day to edit at your level, it seriously looks great
No offense taken. All comments are welcome. I was simply answering your question.
Old September 13th, 2007, 04:30 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Opps! Um, well, I agree that the production quality is great, nice work all round, but, er, that IS "Children of Men", at least from the trailer. I've seen Chlidren of Men and even the locations look the same. I don't know how that's going to go over; the line about not seeing kids in years and "the whole world will change" could have been taken right from CoM, and the whole scenerio of protecting a pregnant woman whose unborn child is the future of humanity (again, just from the trailer that you posted) is exactly the same premise. The scenes where they are having shoot-outs in the post-apocalyptic future look straight out of Children of Men. Not that I mind at all, and it does look well done by the way, but just out of morbid curiosity don't the fimmakers worry about getting sued? I mean, if I created Children of Men, I'd certainly be calling my lawyer after seeing that trailer. Good work on your part though.
Bert Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 09:29 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Smyth View Post
Opps! Um, well, I agree that the production quality is great, nice work all round, but, er, that IS "Children of Men", at least from the trailer. I've seen Chlidren of Men and even the locations look the same. I don't know how that's going to go over; the line about not seeing kids in years and "the whole world will change" could have been taken right from CoM, and the whole scenerio of protecting a pregnant woman whose unborn child is the future of humanity (again, just from the trailer that you posted) is exactly the same premise. The scenes where they are having shoot-outs in the post-apocalyptic future look straight out of Children of Men. Not that I mind at all, and it does look well done by the way, but just out of morbid curiosity don't the fimmakers worry about getting sued? I mean, if I created Children of Men, I'd certainly be calling my lawyer after seeing that trailer. Good work on your part though.
Well, again, I haven't seen Children of Men. And this movie's script was, believe it or not, made long before any of the filmmakers had heard of Children of Men. This movie was shot entirely in June-July of 2006.

Also, from my understanding, Children of Men is a gritty, realistic take on a post-apocalyptic future. Like Moles, Like Rats is more of a post-apocalypitc fantasy. It's not mean to be "gritty and realistic". LMLR has many fantastical elements to the story. In that way, LMLR and CoM differ very greatly.

That being said, I really shouldn't speak for the production, as I am only the visual effects supervisor, and have nothing to do with the story or it's presentation. :)

Also, you can read a synopsis at the main page...

www.likemoleslikerats.com

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated. :)
Old September 14th, 2007, 09:19 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Broadway View Post
LMLR has many fantastical elements to the story. In that way, LMLR and CoM differ very greatly.
You're absolutely right, there are no fantastical elements in Children of Men, so that would make Like Moles, Like Rats, a very different movie. What the head honchos might take away from the feedback you've gotten so far is that the trailier needs tweeking so that the parallel between the two movies does not appear to be so distinct. It looks good though, and I really like the title of your film.

Edit: I read the synopsis. There are two main elements that I think the producers may struggle with criticism for being too similar to Children of Men: That Sarah is going to deliver the first baby that the world has seen for 15 years (even the time line is so close, about 18 years for Children of Men) and that she is being pursued through a post-apocalyptic landscape by people that want her baby. That's exactly what is happens in Children of Men. Its basically a chase for most of the movie. I realize that they wrote this before Children of Men, but I still think they're going to have their hands full when the critics start drawing the similarities. Honestly, reading the synopsis, I felt like I was reading a description of Children of Men. But I still think the production looks great, and you did a great job. Maybe you should rent Children of Men and see why people are drawing the comparision. At least then you could re-cut the trailer to show how Like Moles, Like Rats, is not the same story.

Last edited by Bert Smyth; September 14th, 2007 at 09:32 AM. Reason: read the synopsis, can't keep my big mouth shut.
Bert Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 11:22 AM   #10
Major Player

Wow, that really looks great. I love the radio setup - it looks awesome! I really like the saturated, contrasty look that I see in a lot of the clips - not overdone and not cliche. It's a look that seems to really support the movie well.
Dale Stoltzfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2007, 11:01 PM   #11
Trustee

How is this one going to be distributed?

Theaters, or straight to DVD?

I want to see it!

The trailer looks like the visuals will be stronger than Children of Men.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 08:43 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman View Post
How is this one going to be distributed?

Theaters, or straight to DVD?

I want to see it!

The trailer looks like the visuals will be stronger than Children of Men.
As of now, I believe they are going to be "shopping" it out to studios next week. Whoever buys it will then decide if it gets a theatrical release, or if it will be a DVD release only movie. I do not know yet at this point.

I will keep everyone here advised however. :)
Old September 17th, 2007, 01:31 AM   #13
Major Player

We of course are accepting that Children Of Men was long before a book by P.D. James?
Tyson Perkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 01:35 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Perkins View Post
We of course are accepting that Children Of Men was long before a book by P.D. James?
I've only read 4 books in my entire life (I'm 24), so no, I didn't know that. :P
Old September 19th, 2007, 06:34 AM   #15
Major Player

Yes - dont worry buddy this is not aimed at you at all :) simply the script writers! but i mean its just a trailer - i'll have to evaluate it as a whole obviously before making assumptions
Tyson Perkins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work