My new Music Video - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old June 4th, 2003, 09:37 AM   #16
Trustee

I concur. This thing really looked great, and the fact that you were able to make it on such a shoestring budget, makes me drool for more info.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2003, 09:42 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Hey guys, thats cool that u like it so much. I dont know about writing a tutotial. Im not sure there is really a formula. But Id be more than happy to share more details. Give me a few days, im in the middle of editing and have deadlines approaching.

-Emery
Emery Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2003, 06:29 PM   #18
Major Player

we will be waiting. that was excellent work
John Threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2003, 03:06 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Very nice. I like the compositing work but especially like the editing, and it shows that you either have done a few music videos or just have a natural eye for it.

With those results on that budget, its a wonder you have time to post since you must have people knocking your door down now.

T.
Tom Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2003, 03:24 PM   #20
Capt. Quirk

I was quite impressed with the overall quality of the video. There were parts that I didn't like- too quick and choppy, and too wavy in parts. I was impressed by her beauty as well, which is why I didn't like the wavy/foggy stuff, and the choppiness detracted from the flow.

The effects and the shooting were fantastic. I would like to see more of your work in the future.
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2003, 03:35 PM   #21
New Boot

Coming from a Newbie's perspective, it looks like a Professional Product! Very nicely done! Great effect, but they weren't so flashing that it distracted to much from the video itself. There was enough movement to keep the audience interested and tuned into the vocalist.

~KUDO'S~
Old June 9th, 2003, 05:02 PM   #22
Regular Crew

^^^I agree. This is definately professional looking stuff to me.
Chris Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2003, 05:11 PM   #23
Air China Pilot

Good craft, Emory.

I thought there was a bit *too much* waving about with the camera.

The mascara running I did not like. It made the girl look very scary.

The AfterEffects stuff was top notch.
Old June 9th, 2003, 05:16 PM   #24
High School Student

Yeah, that is probably the only thing that I would of done less of -- the camera going "nuts" (waving)...

Otherwise, it's great...
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2003, 09:44 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Emery

What plugin did you use for the film reel effect?

Thanks
Tom Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2003, 11:37 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Hey everyone... thanx for all the great constructive criticism. I have to say that i agree with pretty much everything you guys have been saying.

The whole video was a one man show. My "PA's" aka (friends) punked out on the night of the shoot. So it was basically just me, a make-up girl and three actors including the artist. I was able to secure a location at a restaurant that a friend of mine owns. The place had two floors and the top floor was closed on sundays. So I had from dusk till closing (about 1AM) to shoot all the interior scenes in the upper dining room. A good 20 tables and 70 chairs all had to be moved out. So basically I was strapped for time. I didnt get to shoot almost 70% of what i had laid out in the story boards, which is why the camera is so static (except of course for the nausiating wavy scenes:-) ) I knew that if i atleast got my locked down shots first... Id have a video. There was originally a much more elaborate story line, but due to time we werent able to get any of it... i was very dissapointed.

All the chopyness you guys may be seeing is due to compression. It is chopped up in a lot of places but the scenes that just look like they have little "glitches" are actually where the screen is supposed to warp and turn a "surveillance greenish" (like video distortion) color. In any event... yeah it is a little too choppy. :-)

The bedroom set was built from a couple benches pushed together, some sheets, and pillows. Not the most elaborate set but it was supposed to feel very "empty" which hit the sweet spot for our budget.

The film reel effect was not a plug-in. I made it the old fashioned way.... takin a film reel and adding a luma key. Pretty simple actually.

Exterior stuff was shot outside under full natural light with no diffusion or bounce cards. I cant tell u how many times we kept gettin the boot by park security:-) For those of you who dont live in NY... its very hard to shoot anywhere in public without a permit.

The crowning glory of the video... what i like to call "the butterfly scene." Was shot in my bedroom against my black window curtains. Knowing that i would be pulling a luma key i made sure there was nothing black or too dark on her. I did wind up having to garbage matte her eyes and parts of her hat.

As far as some kind of "tutorial" all I can say is this...

Work on projects you believe in... if you dont like the song then you probably shouldnt do it. Atleast thats the way i think. Secondly, when your working with video, learn how to be a good digital artist. Video simply looks crappy to me and I put alot of time into making it look more filmic. Lastly, be technical. If you dont know the technical side of things then get some1 who does or learn it yourself. When your running the one man show you need to know all sides of the game. Once you have all that down your free to let your creative spirit run wild.

ok so that wasnt a tutorial at all.

I never went to film school and I cant begin to tell you the immense amount of information and knowledge ive gathered at this and other forums. Im glad to be part of this one and ill post some more stuff when its done. Ive got a few REALLY great videos in post right now. Ill post when they are complete.

-Emery
Emery Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2003, 07:29 AM   #27
RED Code Chef

I can imagine that you were dissapointed that you weren't
able to shoot everything (I know the feeling). But in the end
you made a fine product and thats what counts!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2003, 09:12 AM   #28
Major Player

very good stuff.

As you will see from shooting, most projects rarely get exactly what they set out to get originally. events always seem to conspire against you, and locations become hard to secure.

That's why some people perfer to shoot certain things on soundstages where they have the time to shoot and reshoot as long as they need it for. Shooting on location adds a great level for certain stories, but the added logistical nightmare can put pressure on getting all your shots.

But as long as you have the basics down, and get enough to cut with, something can always be salvaged, sometimes better than what you thought it would be.
John Threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2003, 11:22 AM   #29
Regular Crew

I think I see your shadow on behind the singer when she is sitting on the bench and your are moving the camera around. At about 3:31.
Chris Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2003, 11:32 AM   #30
High School Student

Chris -- Good eye. I would of never caught that if you didn't point it out. No big deal though, not many people will be able to see that. It's not a very harsh shadow either.
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work