DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   My new Music Video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/10378-my-new-music-video.html)

Emery Wells June 1st, 2003 09:45 PM

My new Music Video

Hey, I shot this video with my sony trv900. I have the pana DVX now but didnt get it in time for this video. If any of u guys live in NYC than youll be happy to find it in your next taxi cab ride (taxi tv) Anyway tell me what u guys think.

New Link

All compositing was done in AE 5.5 Pro Bundle and editing was done in Avid XDV 3.5.

-Emery

Imran Zaidi June 1st, 2003 09:52 PM

Wow, that's visually great work!

Please provide more details on the production, I'd love to hear.

Alex Knappenberger June 1st, 2003 10:21 PM

Yeah, just great work, visually. :D (i'm saying I don't like the song, for the people who can't catch a joke, heh)...

Anyway, WOW!!!! Dude, please give me some more details, what did you do in post, and what did you do overall to make it look that good? Especially the parts with her closeup and the wide bars, that looked great.....how the.....?

David Hurdon June 2nd, 2003 05:17 AM

My new Music Video

Beautiful, Emery, as is your star attraction. Also the first streaming piece encoded with that high a bit rate that has played flawlessly on my old PC! Thanks for the experience.

David Hurdon

Charles King June 2nd, 2003 09:17 AM

Really impressive work Emery. Congrats.

Emery Wells June 2nd, 2003 10:12 AM

Hey thanx for all the compliments guys. So here are some more production details...

First off our budget was only $300. Not really enough to call it a budget at all. So I worked by my self along with one make-up artist. Lighting was scarce as u might be able to tell from some of the scenes. I was using a cheap smith vector 500W quartz lamp X 3 for lighting.

I used a glidecam 2000 pro for the shots that are waving all around.

Probably the biggest factor for the whole "film look" would be that I first sped up the music to the song and then played the sped up version for her to lip sing to while we shot. Than I slowed everything down in post to match the original speed of the song. It was slowed down 15%. I simply hate the temporal quality of video so that was a must.

One mistake I made was shooting at a slow shutter speed. At the time I was unaware that it is best to shoot at a high shutter speed when your going to do slow mo. I dont think I would have had enough light to shoot at the higher shutter speed anyway so I guess it all worked out.

For the crowning glory of the video "the butterfly" scene, I shot her against a black backround and pulled a luma matte. Knowing the horrible colorspace in DV I felt the luma matte was appropriate. I wound up having to garbage matte certain areas on her face/body that were getting pulled from the matte (specifically her eyes.) But it wasnt too difficult and I think I was better off going luma than green screen.

The backround in the scene is %100 CG. I basically used Particle Illusin right out of the box for the backround stuff. The sky was created using tinderbox sky.

Well thats enough for now, i have to get back to work. Again thanx for allt he great comments.

-Emery

William Velasquez June 2nd, 2003 12:41 PM

Oh well, too bad I can't view the video.

WMP on a Mac plays ONLY AUDIO no video :(

Got a QuickTime version I can watch?

Nori Wentworth June 2nd, 2003 02:58 PM

I'm having problems seeing the video on my PC as well.

-Nori

Alex Knappenberger June 2nd, 2003 03:47 PM

I am pretty sure it's windows media 9...get the newest windows media player...

I encode my stuff in WM9 for the web also, well I used to, but I stopped when I found out not everyone had WM9, and just ended up getting audio and not video. I'll stick with WM8 for now, until everyone gets around to installing WM9.

William Velasquez June 2nd, 2003 04:20 PM

hmm well, the latest version of WMP is is 7.1 for MacOS

I'll wait 'till I get home and try it on MacOSX maybe it'll work.

Still, you should have it on both formats WMP and QT :)

John Garcia June 2nd, 2003 05:59 PM

woah, shes pretty hot. lol...oh yeah, and nice work! it looks great:)

Emery Wells June 2nd, 2003 11:35 PM

ok so I encoded a quicktime for u guys. Its actually an mpeg4 so u need quicktime 6.0. And the Win media version is WMV9 so if u dont have 9 it wont work. The quicktime doesnt seem to be DLing progressivly so it takes a while to load. Ill work on that, but in the meantime its there for those of you who wanna see it.

quicktime
http://www.stormwaveent.com/tests

WMV9
http://www.stormwaveent.com/movies/...FULL_medium.wmv

-Emery

Tom Markos June 3rd, 2003 07:01 AM

Looks great Emery, really beautiful work, especially in light of the budget. Nice, fluid, production. How much time was involved in filming? Tom

John Threat June 4th, 2003 05:57 AM

This thing looked great! I've seen music videos shot on film that weren't up to broadcast standards. This thing is really impressive for the resources that were used to create it.

William Velasquez June 4th, 2003 09:19 AM

Thanks Emery for uploading a QT version of your music video.

Your work is impressive!! Congratulations!!!

As stated before. Maybe you would like to share a few tips on how you were able to accomplish this..... I know you already gave some basic information... but what I would really like to see maybe a "How To Shoot a Music Video" tutorial and of course using your music video and just explaining the details on how you were able to do it with such small budget and limited resources.
Maybe the tutorial could be posted on this website for all to learn from....

I hope you consider this request seriously since it looks like I'm not the only person interested on learning your techniques.

I do have a few constructive comments about the video that I thought could make the video flow better on telling the story of the song but right now i'm in the middle of final exams and don't have the time to type. But I will as soon as I'm done with them.