Trailer for my new feature, THE WATERMELON! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old September 28th, 2007, 11:33 AM   #1
Major Player

Trailer for my new feature, THE WATERMELON!

This past summer we shot The Watermelon - a feature film based on an award-winning script by Michael Hemmingson. We just finished our first cut and are moving on to the polish. Brad - the director/editor - took time out to cut a trailer. I hope you like it.

http://www.bradmays.com/watermelonstream.mov
Lori Starfelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 11:51 AM   #2
Trustee

It's fugly.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 03:53 PM   #3
Major Player

I won't let you steal away the last thing my

daddy left to me!!!!

So, are you agreeing with the trailer?
Old September 28th, 2007, 06:16 PM   #4
Trustee

Do you have a slow server? It took me ages to stream it. I gave up at the point they said fugly. I hope my connection is acting up.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 06:25 PM   #5
Major Player

Hmmm, it's on ATT, so I don't know why it would

be slow. It is a fairly large file. Maybe we should make the image smaller.

Thanks for the heads up. If someone else has this problem, please let me know.
Old September 28th, 2007, 07:09 PM   #6
Major Player

I liked the trailer. The acting seemed appropriately over the top and the cinematography looked really good - well controlled.

There's just one thing... when I watched it, the audio had a weird, underwater, warble to it. I'm sure that it wasn't recorded that way, seeing all the care you took with the lighting and acting, but I couldn't get past it.

Also, I'll concur, it took a minute to stream, but it was worth the minute.

And yes... it's fugly ;)
Old September 28th, 2007, 09:14 PM   #7
Trustee

I agree with Kevin on all accounts except it played quickly. Go figure. I'm in the middle of the Pacific ocean and it plays fine for me.

The audio effect sounds like the audio effect called a flanger. I think it is from two identical sources slightly out of phase. I have also heard a bit of this effect from audio noise reduction software. Was noise reduction used on the audio or could the L and R channels be out of phase?
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 10:28 PM   #8
Major Player

Something must have happened in the conversion. The audio streams sound great. Anyway, I'm glad you like it.

We don't have any credits on the trailer so for the record, the DP is the brilliant Lawrence Malloy.
http://www.lawrencemalloy.com

And the rest of the credits:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0945521/fullcredits
Old September 28th, 2007, 11:54 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Looks good.
What kind of camera did you use?
Jimi King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2007, 12:30 AM   #10
Major Player

Not bad at all. Very strange, but probably in a good way. We'll have to see soon.
Daniel Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2007, 06:38 AM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Marchesseault View Post
The audio effect sounds like the audio effect called a flanger. I think it is from two identical sources slightly out of phase. I have also heard a bit of this effect from audio noise reduction software. Was noise reduction used on the audio or could the L and R channels be out of phase?
I noticed that effect too. It also happens when you use too much noise reduction, or too low a bit rate for encoding (the most likely suspect).
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2007, 11:35 AM   #12
New Boot

Loved the trailer about a trailer. What plans do you have for showing it? Or, more to the point what chance would an ordinary guy like me have to get to see the final product?
Bruce Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2007, 11:51 AM   #13
Major Player

Emre - thank you. We're going to redo it today and hopefully that problem will end. We don't have a lot of experience preparing footage for the internet so your guidance is appreciated.

Jimi - we shot it on the Panasonic 24p system - it's a beautiful thing. Truly. It gets us so much closer to Truffault's dictum that cinema will be art when film is as cheap as crayons.

Bruce - as for seeing it, we're going to go the festival route. I knew the script was brilliant for festivals. An eccentric, well-written story filled with charming three-dimensional characters - it's perfect indie festival fare. As for distribution, we just finished our first cut this week. We still have a couple week of polishing to go. We'll take it from there. :) Thanks for asking.
Old September 29th, 2007, 01:41 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Starfelt View Post
Emre - thank you. We're going to redo it today and hopefully that problem will end. We don't have a lot of experience preparing footage for the internet so your guidance is appreciated.

Jimi - we shot it on the Panasonic 24p system - it's a beautiful thing. Truly. It gets us so much closer to Truffault's dictum that cinema will be art when film is as cheap as crayons.

Bruce - as for seeing it, we're going to go the festival route. I knew the script was brilliant for festivals. An eccentric, well-written story filled with charming three-dimensional characters - it's perfect indie festival fare. As for distribution, we just finished our first cut this week. We still have a couple week of polishing to go. We'll take it from there. :) Thanks for asking.
How long do you think it will take from finishing the principal photography until you are done with editing, sound and music etc? How many months do you anticipate?
Old September 29th, 2007, 10:42 PM   #15
Major Player

Brian, We plan on being done by the end of the year. We'll have the cut locked within a week or so. We have some special effects work we need done, and then we have to figure out the score. So overall, five months beginning to end.
Lori Starfelt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work