Dialog scene, for practice.. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old October 3rd, 2007, 03:37 PM   #1
New Boot

Dialog scene, for practice..

shot on a DVX100A:

http://files.filefront.com/ingridmar.../fileinfo.html

They're talking in Norwegian.. wohoo, really funny..

I guess not.. but anyways.. I needed to learn how to do a dialog scene between 2 people.. so here's the outcome.. (the sound is awful..)
Tomas Stavik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2007, 03:41 PM   #2
Wrangler

Tomas,

You are new to our forum. Please do not cross-post to multiple forums. This one is the correct place to share for others to see.

Thank you,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2007, 11:07 AM   #3
New Boot

I'm sorry, I saw someone else do it.. thought it might get me some more views.. well anyway.. won't do it again.
Old October 5th, 2007, 04:23 AM   #4
Trustee

As you noted, the sound has too much room reflection. Sound blankets and closer microphone placement could help. You also need some light behind the woman to keep her from blending into the background. You could shine it on her shoulders or put some light on the back wall to achieve the effect as long as it causes some delineation between the actress and the background.

I can't comment on the acting since I don't understand the dialog. Nothing stood out as a problem visually from that standpoint. There is one edit I would change: when the man is sitting down you cut to an over-the-shoulder from the woman's side too early. That edit lingers too long on a blank wall for too long as he manipulates the chair. I would rather see the look on the woman's face until he is in the frame.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2007, 10:32 PM   #5
Major Player

I would agree with Marcus about the shot where the man is sitting down. The cut was too early to over the woman's shoulder, but I would solve it a different way. Instead of showing her saying her line, I would go to an establishing shot with a dolly in - the reverse of the last shot. You really should have (in my humble opinion) an establishing shot early in a dialog sequence to set up where people are in the room.

Otherwise I thought the photography was pretty good. I like the look and the tone of the piece, regardless of the fact I don't speak the language. But watch your separation of the foreground and background.

Keep it up...

Kevin
Old October 6th, 2007, 05:51 AM   #6
Trustee

I got the impression that is a small room so a dolly shot wouldn't be possible. Perhaps it was just an incorrect perception on my part? It also seems like the only way to get the OTS from the man's side is to go outside the window. If I'm wrong, a wider shot showing more of the space would be nice to establish the scene.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2007, 12:16 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I love Norway and I absolutely LOVE the language and accent of Norway!

Anyway, I agree, too much reflection.
Old October 14th, 2007, 04:39 AM   #8
New Boot

thank you so much for the constructive critique. I appreciate it a lot:)

You guys said you wanted a wider shot of it all.. But it was as Marcus said a very small room.. or it was narrow... so a wide shot would've been hard..

As for the editing, I did it in a really difficult way, next time it will be better..

again, thank you:)
Old October 14th, 2007, 09:10 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I like it. It's true the audio is a little off. You're getting a little too much of the room's accoustic footprint. I believe you need *some* of the footprint, but just not as much as you have here.

Btw, someone said the sound has "Too much reflection". Is that the proper techy description? Would it be "reverb"? "echo"? "reflection"?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work