DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Lady X: Episode 03 Released! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/10867-lady-x-episode-03-released.html)

John Locke June 15th, 2003 07:35 AM

Lady X: Episode 03 Released!

Lady X heads West!

After completing her mission in Hamburg, Lady X jets overseas to the espionage hotbed, Kelowna, B.C., Canada, to pass on orders to the local operative, Trance Blackman.

Don't hesitate, eh. Go to Lady X and click the "Episode 03" link.

The Lady X Crew

================
Episode 03 Details:

Directed by: Neil A. Wentworth
Written by: Neil A. Wentworth
Camera Operator: Nori Wentworth
Boom Operator: Alan Falt
Production Assistants: Alan Falt, Scott Hutchison, Bob Verigin
Edited by: Neil A. Wentworth

Cast: Trance Blackman (Trance); Joanna Savard (Lady X), Scott Hutchison (Mercedes Driver, Bus Guard 1), Vance Deimling (Bus Guard 2), Bob Verigin (Guard 1), David Klaver (Guard 2), Mike Bottomley (Baseball Bat Guard, Guard 3), Alan Falt (The Hanged Man).

Music: Darryl Taylor

Paul Sedillo June 15th, 2003 10:17 AM

Neil and Nori,

Your opening sequence was fantastic. The shot of Trance looking out over the city is excellent. I also liked the delivery of the assignment. Nice touch. Your use of the moving green crossbar was a cool approach.

Great job in moving the story along!

Dylan Couper June 15th, 2003 11:59 PM

I liked the intro, and the techno-locator effect.

Laughed when I saw the guy with the axes.
Glad to see The Hanged Man is getting more work besides your other short series!

The first time I watched it, I didn't get that he was using a VR type device. Then I watched it again. I just didn't feel like there was a payoff there though, like no resolution of anything, no goal achieved.

The photography and direction was very very good though. Very easy on the eyes, great work!

K. Forman June 16th, 2003 06:50 AM

Nori- I liked your contribution. I found it a bit confusing though, with the clarvoyant flashes. I had to laugh at the bat wielding thug that was more concerned about his manicure! What kind of thugs do you have up there? LOL!

I also liked the intro and crosshair effects. Overall, it was well done.

Ronnie Grahn June 16th, 2003 07:47 AM

I liked that the gun ejected casings when our Hero gets shot. Is that expensive / difficult to get in Canada?

Nori Wentworth June 16th, 2003 10:19 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Ronnie, here in Canada, we all get guns when we turn 2 years old. It's basic protection from all the polar bears and Buffalo...

-Nori

K. Forman June 16th, 2003 11:36 AM

"here in Canada, we all get guns when we turn 2 years old. It's basic protection from all the polar bears and Buffalo"

And when do you get the bats and hatchets?

Keith Loh June 16th, 2003 12:14 PM

LOL, the old throwing pebbles to distract the guards. Hey, it works in Metal Gear Solid.

Nori Wentworth June 16th, 2003 03:07 PM

Bats at 1, hatchets are optional.

Alex Knappenberger June 16th, 2003 03:16 PM

Can anyone help me out with quicktime? I can't really watch any .mov files because the audio is like choppy, anyone else have this problem or know anything about it? When I play mpeg's in quicktime it's fine...I got the newest version too... =/

Ken Tanaka June 16th, 2003 03:21 PM

Alex,
Do you get "choppiness" while the episode is streaming? If so, have you tried just downloading the episode and then playing it from your disk?

Alex Knappenberger June 16th, 2003 03:25 PM

Yeah, it's not that, it's just some particular encoded quicktime files play like that, however episode 3 of that did not, so I was able to watch it with good audio unlike the last 2.

Anyway, it was great, the shooting and editing were great, but I am still confused about the story. Is she going around and killing a bunch of people?

Keith Loh June 16th, 2003 03:59 PM

Let me see if I understood this correctly:

the guy is supposed to deliver 'the object'.

At the end we learn that the object is a VR headgear apparatus that he has been playing with while he has been waiting to deliver it.

So each time he has been 'killed' it was in 'the game'. The three lives thing.

Ken Tanaka June 16th, 2003 03:59 PM

Audio can consume a remarkable portion of a compressed video's file size and of the bandwidth while streaming. To minimize this while still maintaining reasonably good sound we're using the IMA codec for the audio portions of all episides. It's a very simple 4:1 compression which places very little overhead on a viewer's computer. We're using a sampling frequency of 22.05kHz for the audio. We've experimented with several alternatives and this has produced the best results for us.

Re: Lady X, her global "mission" is a mystery and basically little more than a framework instrument for each episode. Our main goal was to let producers show their locations and their ingenuity and skills within a loose set of guidelines.

Tony Teulan June 16th, 2003 08:28 PM

I didn't find it too bad at all - the multiple scenarios was interesting, something I use in another film of mine. The locator effect looked a little too amateurish for my liking but the delivery came across as quite fresh. Didn't we see a bit too much of Lady X though, Producers? We get to see her whole face when she's in the back of the car and then again in the last scene where Trance is giving her the VR headset.

I liked the firing guns.

For some reason, I was reminded of Mission Impossible 2, when Ethan Hawk is looking out over the mountains...

pretty cool though this whole Lady X series can't help but remind people of other spy films, that IS the genre we're working within