DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   black cannons - "asleep with bastet" - Music Video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/109242-black-cannons-asleep-bastet-music-video.html)

Bryan Wilkat November 30th, 2007 08:51 PM

black cannons - "asleep with bastet" - Music Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8wggp--jTM

everything you see is intentional.
(YES even the shaky badly framed handheld blurry shots too!)
negative feedback is encouraged.
tear it apart, cause i know you will, hahah.

but mostly, please, enjoy.

-b

Craig Parkes December 1st, 2007 12:42 PM

I actually really did enjoy that. Not much to tear apart, there's some stuff that irks me but that's to do with camera technology you were using (Vertical blowing out of CCD's is never pretty).

Aside from that the mood and editing style and visual aesthetic suited the song and low key nature of the bands performance.

Dave Robinson December 1st, 2007 01:49 PM

I thought the video suited the music very well. Only thing I would have done differently is to never show the musicians faces, I don't know why it just seemed like an idea.

The song is fantastic, very Mogwai / Sigur Ros in places. Are they signed?

Bryan Wilkat December 1st, 2007 02:07 PM

craig, by vertical blow out are you referring to the shots of the sun?

dave, we're not signed, you can check out some more stuff at http://www.myspace.com/blackcannons , we do have a 5 song EP out but the recording quality isn't up to par with the tracks on the myspace, also feel free to pirate them, hahah.

thanks for the feedback. if you're bored i'd appreciate if you guys could email the video to your friends too, so far we're on the top 100 of youtube's highest rated music videos of the day as well as most plays of music videos today!!

Andy Graham December 1st, 2007 03:34 PM

Its hard to say anything about these types of arty videos, any comments can be dismissed by saying "i meant that". In my opinion arty type stuff is the "safe" option, having said that i liked a lot of your shots.

the vertical blow out thing is just part of the nature of using digital cameras, for example the hd100 is a superb camera but it is bad for vertical blow out.

All in all it works fine, only thing is you've used up the safe "arty" approach now, id be interested to see what else you come up with for the next one.

Remember and take all of your critiques subjectivly, if i saw your video on mtv i wouldn't think twice, its only because you asked that we look closer.

Andy

Bert Smyth December 2nd, 2007 03:10 AM

Well, I'll actually say this to be fair to Jon, who did the Cultus Lake video. For me, intentional or no, it just didn't grab me. That's pretty much it. Just felt is was kind of random and uh.. boring? But that's just me... I do have good taste though... I liked "The Postman" and after months of begging my wife finally relented and rented "Frankenfish" for me. That was great too. So you're not hitting the mark with the Kevin Costner/schlock horror clientelle.

Carl Middleton December 2nd, 2007 09:34 AM

Overall, I liked a lot of your shots but have some feedback:

I think in the beginning the blurry shots were used too much, it kind of gave me a feeling of searching for some reason why it was blurry, that just never came. And it kinda hurt my eyes :)

I think it would have benefited from some sort of storyline, or plot. Something to tie it all together, maybe that this is a day in someone's life and the out of focus, blurry, black and white is how he looks at the world... I don't know, what plot to use would be your decision to make. :)

A couple of things I did like:

Midway through, when the shots were down to about no more than a second, very fast paced metric editing, contrasted wonderfully with the very mellow music. Loved that! Wish I saw more of that fast paced editing through the rest of the piece.

The vertical smear I liked. I'm assuming it was just a streetlight? I got the feeling of Cops or something, helicopter chase with a spotlight, or maybe Big Brother watching from above. Either which way, tho from a videographer standpoint I know what causes that, from a viewer standpoint I liked the mental corelation I have between that viewpoint of a powerful overhead light looking down in the night, I think someone must be hunting me. ;)

Look forward to seeing some more of your work!

Carl

Dave Robinson December 2nd, 2007 12:31 PM

Oh and get a damn keyboard player!

Bryan Wilkat December 2nd, 2007 09:36 PM

haha, don't need a keyboard player when you've got guitar pedals!

thanks for the feedback guys, i understand everyone here has their own idea of what makes things good so we wont all agree on things but i'm always curious to hear what you've got to say.

on a side note, do any of you know of any stop motion programs for macs? ...possibly free ones? :)