DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   my first music video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/11187-my-first-music-video.html)

Corey MacGregor June 23rd, 2003 05:53 PM

my first music video

Hello there! This is my first time posting but i've been lurking around here for a couple months now. I'm from Vancouver, Canada. I'm currently working as a video editor but i'm trying to get into working on music videos. I bought a gl2 about six months ago and loving it. I would like to get some feedback on my first video that i completed just recently. It was kind of a spontaneous video shoot with no real planning whatsoever. I have a couple bands lined up to do some more elaborate videos in the near future... anyways, here the link to my first video:

http://www.terraform.tv/videogallery/video/44mag.wmv

I hope you guys give me some comments, good or bad. Thanks!

corey

John Threat June 24th, 2003 09:30 AM

I really enjoyed it! It was funny and thoughtful at the same time. Definately ready for prime time. A nice selection of shots that really set a tone and mood.

i'd love to know how you treated the footage for the 8mm look since this originated on dV.

Where did you get the academy leader from? I'd love to bum that off you.

Corey MacGregor June 24th, 2003 06:13 PM

Thanks for the compliments! For the "8mm" look I first shot the footage using my gl2 in frame mode. For the color corrections i used after effects. First I did some basic adjustments using the levels pluggin. Then i used cinelook to adjust all of my colors and to get that nice film-like motion, its not that noticeable on the web but on a television you can really see the difference. Next I duplicated my clip and placed it on top of the other one and put a gaussian blur on it then made it an overlay. This, in my opinion kinda makes it look like it has a shallower depth of field because stuff closer to the camera appears more focused and the stuff in the distance, since there is less detail, looks more out of focus. Some situations work better than others, it just depends. Then i just put a black layer on top, made an oval mask and feathered it to get that black halo around the perimeter of the screen. I did various other tweaking with rgb levels and saturation, but thats basically it. Oh yeah, I also used cinelook filmdamage for the frame jitters and the damaged filmstrip stuff. The academy leader I got from adobe premiere, I just cut out the frames that said adobe on them. Hope that's understandable. This method also works really well even if you want the sharp 35-16mm look as well not just old 8mm.

corey

Henrik Bengtsson July 7th, 2003 02:50 PM

Great piece!

Only thing i missed considering the ammount of jerkyness was actually filmgrain :) I think that if you had put up a bit more evident filmgrain to distort all that nice crisp images it would have been a total sell :)

And even without that, it's a great piece. Good work =)

Dylan Couper July 7th, 2003 10:21 PM

Cool! Very well put together.
Nice stuff.

Rob Lohman July 16th, 2003 06:10 AM

Looked nice indeed... The only thing "bothering" me where the
teeth which looked a bit overdone in my humble opinion. Other
than that, good job! She has a nice voice too

Hal Huntsman July 16th, 2003 07:09 AM

I really liked it too and I appreciate your tips on how you did it. I'd like to try that look sometime. I didn't see a 44 mag though.

h

Yow Siang October 2nd, 2003 06:36 PM

All videos you did with GL2 in your website?

Corey ,
Does all your videos in your website shot with the canon Gl2?

ys

Corey MacGregor October 2nd, 2003 10:23 PM

yes, everything was shot with the gl2.

Yow Siang October 2nd, 2003 10:25 PM

its really impressive... do you use any external lighings?

ys

Corey MacGregor October 3rd, 2003 11:43 AM

I only used a canon vl10 light for the band interviews and the rest was just the ambient light that was already there. I've also got a couple music videos that i'm going to be shooting with some homemade kino banks, i'll post that stuff when it's done. Thanks for the compliments!

Charles King October 3rd, 2003 02:34 PM

Corey...

I think something is wrong with your link. I can't seem to access it.

Corey MacGregor October 3rd, 2003 03:00 PM

yeah i changed the format of the video to a quicktime. here's the new link:

http://www.terraform.tv/videogallery.../44magnum.html

Roy Roberts October 3rd, 2003 03:08 PM

I liked the video and a good singer as well. I've just started a new site called www.latestmusicvideos.com to showcase my own and others music videos. the only three criteria are, full length music video, broadband quality and suitable for general viewing.
You may like to have a look and then when you finish your next full length video let me know. all the best Roy.
By the way perhaps you could tell me what settings you used for your quicktime, I need to use it myself, but have never tried.

Yow Siang October 3rd, 2003 07:47 PM

Hi Corey,
forgive my ignorance... what is a kina bank?

yowsiang