Re-edit of 2008 Showreel at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old January 19th, 2008, 01:25 AM   #1
New Boot

Re-edit of 2008 Showreel

The re-edited version of my 2008 showreel is posted at
http://www.vimeo.com/617647
As before, any critique will be sincerely appreciated. I tried to take all the previous comments into consideration with this latest attempt, especially those of Steve Dempsey. Have I succeeded? Have a look and decide.
Daniel Vanniekerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 05:58 PM   #2
Major Player

Looks great... I can't seem to think of any thing that stuck out that could be corrected. Great job!
Old January 21st, 2008, 04:00 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I saw your old one and this one is slightly better. I thought the problem with the first one was the tempo which is much better in this one. But personal I don´t like choice of music at all. I thought the music you used in your old was much better. I dont´t agree that you needed a more upbeat soundtrack. The new music was fine for the first 30 seconds of the clip but then it didn´t fit at all. I would use a soundtrack that made you think of waves.

Edit: I also loved the rain in your old one.
Jonathan Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2008, 09:15 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Looks real good to me, Daniel. Very clean and clear shots.
Mark Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 01:33 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks a lot to everybody that watched my showreel and for all the encouraging comments. Sincerely appreciated.
Love to hear more criticism though - I think that one can learn more from what people don't like than from what they do like, and I certainly still have a lot to learn!
Old January 28th, 2008, 07:42 PM   #6
Major Player

Hey Daniel,

I see you mentioned you used a circular polarizer on most of the shots in your reel. How do you go about determining whether you put on the circular polarizer or leave it off? I hear you should only have it on if the sun is 90 degrees from your camera's line of sight. Do you find this to be true?

And btw... very very nice work!
Deke Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 12:19 AM   #7
New Boot

Hi Deke,
Thanks for taking the time to watch. I leave the circular polarizer on just about all the time while shooting in sunlight. It is at it's most effective at 90 deg from the the sun with almost no effect when at 180 deg. This does not mean that you have to unscrew it though. You can switch the effect (darker sky, higher color saturation, reduced glare) off by simply rotating the filter 90 degrees if you want to.
Old January 29th, 2008, 07:41 AM   #8
Major Player

Hey Daniel,

Thanks so much for the tip! I've been experimenting with the CPL filter for sometime now with varied success. The only thing I've found is that it does not like being pointed in the direction of the sun, or I get really bad lens flaring. That seems to be a big problem now in the winter because the sun doesn't get too high in the sky like it does in winter.

Also, when it's sunny out and you're using the circular polarizer, do you also turn ND on? Thanks!
Deke Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 12:18 AM   #9
New Boot

Hi Deke,
If you look at both versions of my showreel, you'll see a number of scenes shot directly into sunlight with no more lens flare than you would expect shooting without a CP filter (in my opinion in any case).
I suppose YMMV!, and yes, I may switch ND on if there is too much light to get the desired aperture/shutter speed combination.
Daniel Vanniekerk is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work