DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   New short: "Alsmaar" (flash) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/114570-new-short-alsmaar-flash.html)

Ivo van Aart February 11th, 2008 02:23 PM

New short: "Alsmaar" (flash)

Hi,

Recently made two shorts, one is finished. It was only one day of shooting.

Name: Alsmaar
Duration: 2:05
Director: Ivo van Aart
DOP: Sam Pulles
Sound: Lars Feskens
Acquisition: HDV, Canon Xh A1
Budget: -

http://alsmaar.uitlaatmediawerk.com

Daniel Alexander February 12th, 2008 04:34 PM

nice short there, really enjoyed the concept. some of the cuts were a little too aparent but maybe thats just me, overall Nice work

Justin Tomchuk February 12th, 2008 07:06 PM

Story wise, it's kind of like, yeah, done before. But cinemtography wise it was excellent. The locations were excellent. Some of the extra cuts I didn't understand. Maybe to make it have more of an edge?

I definitely heard the music before. I was wondering, did you aquire the rights to it?

Kevin Defy February 13th, 2008 12:45 AM

Hmm.... I was a bit dissapointed by the storyline. It seems a lot of people focus so deeply on the technical aspect that oftentimes the storyline and creativity aren't up to par. That's just my personal opinion, sorry. One person already said he liked the story. After I watched it I kind of thought, what's the point. I felt like there wasn't a real rhyme or reason to it.

Technically it was extremely impressive

Ivo van Aart February 13th, 2008 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Tomchuk (Post 825313)
Story wise, it's kind of like, yeah, done before. But cinemtography wise it was excellent. The locations were excellent. Some of the extra cuts I didn't understand. Maybe to make it have more of an edge?

I definitely heard the music before. I was wondering, did you aquire the rights to it?

No, I don't have the rights to it. But it's a small, non-commercial project for my portfolio, so that shouldn't be a problem.

@Kevin: very supprised by your reaction, because 'a lot of people' do that, yeah, but I don't. HD and all the problems and challenges were not of my concern that day. The DOP took care of it. I just focussed on telling that story in a unique way. Ok, it sorta has been done before, but not like this. The way they walk, look, the location, the timing of the music, that's the director's work.

Brian Duke February 13th, 2008 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Defy (Post 825466)
After I watched it I kind of thought, what's the point. I felt like there wasn't a real rhyme or reason to it.

I kinda had the same reaction, like what's the point, but I guess if you are trying to create a reel for yourself it was a cute little movie. Everything else was fine. I wasn't blown away, but it was much better than most of what I see these days.

I hadn't seen the story before, but I still felt like, "okay, now what'? Essentially it was a short gimmick film. No characters, no real plot and nothing to really stand out. However, I will say keep on doing what you are doing cause you have something there.

Jim Miller February 13th, 2008 11:24 AM

"It was a dark and stormy night... and one little Indian said, "Chief, tell us a story...."

Dennis Murphy February 13th, 2008 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Defy (Post 825466)
After I watched it I kind of thought, what's the point. I felt like there wasn't a real rhyme or reason to it.

It's quite simple... it's like a metaphor for marriage - a life time of taking turns at pushing each other to the ground.

Ivo van Aart February 13th, 2008 02:33 PM

Lol! But your not that far off! The site I linked to contains two sentences in Dutch. They say (freely translated): life goes on and on, and is always the same.

Dennis Murphy February 13th, 2008 03:44 PM

Forgot to say I like the existential nature of it and the filming quality.
It doesn't have to mean anything to me.