New short: "Alsmaar" (flash) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old February 11th, 2008, 02:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

New short: "Alsmaar" (flash)

Hi,

Recently made two shorts, one is finished. It was only one day of shooting.

Name: Alsmaar
Duration: 2:05
Director: Ivo van Aart
DOP: Sam Pulles
Sound: Lars Feskens
Acquisition: HDV, Canon Xh A1
Budget: -

http://alsmaar.uitlaatmediawerk.com
Ivo van Aart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 04:34 PM   #2
Major Player

nice short there, really enjoyed the concept. some of the cuts were a little too aparent but maybe thats just me, overall Nice work
Daniel Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 07:06 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Story wise, it's kind of like, yeah, done before. But cinemtography wise it was excellent. The locations were excellent. Some of the extra cuts I didn't understand. Maybe to make it have more of an edge?

I definitely heard the music before. I was wondering, did you aquire the rights to it?
Justin Tomchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 12:45 AM   #4
New Boot

Hmm.... I was a bit dissapointed by the storyline. It seems a lot of people focus so deeply on the technical aspect that oftentimes the storyline and creativity aren't up to par. That's just my personal opinion, sorry. One person already said he liked the story. After I watched it I kind of thought, what's the point. I felt like there wasn't a real rhyme or reason to it.

Technically it was extremely impressive
Kevin Defy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 02:26 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Tomchuk View Post
Story wise, it's kind of like, yeah, done before. But cinemtography wise it was excellent. The locations were excellent. Some of the extra cuts I didn't understand. Maybe to make it have more of an edge?

I definitely heard the music before. I was wondering, did you aquire the rights to it?
No, I don't have the rights to it. But it's a small, non-commercial project for my portfolio, so that shouldn't be a problem.

@Kevin: very supprised by your reaction, because 'a lot of people' do that, yeah, but I don't. HD and all the problems and challenges were not of my concern that day. The DOP took care of it. I just focussed on telling that story in a unique way. Ok, it sorta has been done before, but not like this. The way they walk, look, the location, the timing of the music, that's the director's work.
Old February 13th, 2008, 03:21 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Defy View Post
After I watched it I kind of thought, what's the point. I felt like there wasn't a real rhyme or reason to it.
I kinda had the same reaction, like what's the point, but I guess if you are trying to create a reel for yourself it was a cute little movie. Everything else was fine. I wasn't blown away, but it was much better than most of what I see these days.

I hadn't seen the story before, but I still felt like, "okay, now what'? Essentially it was a short gimmick film. No characters, no real plot and nothing to really stand out. However, I will say keep on doing what you are doing cause you have something there.
Old February 13th, 2008, 11:24 AM   #7
Major Player

"It was a dark and stormy night... and one little Indian said, "Chief, tell us a story...."
Jim Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 01:47 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Defy View Post
After I watched it I kind of thought, what's the point. I felt like there wasn't a real rhyme or reason to it.
It's quite simple... it's like a metaphor for marriage - a life time of taking turns at pushing each other to the ground.
Dennis Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 02:33 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Lol! But your not that far off! The site I linked to contains two sentences in Dutch. They say (freely translated): life goes on and on, and is always the same.
Old February 13th, 2008, 03:44 PM   #10
Major Player

Forgot to say I like the existential nature of it and the filming quality.
It doesn't have to mean anything to me.
Dennis Murphy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work