DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Where's the best place to post footage? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/115323-wheres-best-place-post-footage.html)

Matt Buys February 20th, 2008 04:16 PM

Where's the best place to post footage?

After about two years I'm finally feeling like my work is worth asking people to critique on this site. Still not saying it's good though. I have my own website but at ten dollars a month it's a bit slow. I notice many people use Vimeo and Youtube. What are the best options for posting about a minute of footage edited with a PC on PP2 to have people critique?

Oliver Reik February 20th, 2008 04:56 PM

Definitely vimeo - the video quality ist currently the best by far. You may not get as many views as on youtube, however the crowd there seems to be much more involved into filming, so that you get feedbacks on a much higher lever. Anyways - there's nothing wrong with posting your videos on vimeo AND youtube... ;-)

Cheers, Oliver

Justin Tomchuk February 20th, 2008 05:26 PM

I agree, Vimeo is great. Especially since it supports widescreen. Break.com uses better compression that youtube and you might even get more hits.

Mark Williams February 20th, 2008 05:48 PM

My vote is also for vimeo. You can even upload HD material. Just look at the videos posted there in the HD section. It will blow you away considering it is free with 500mb upload limit per week.

Nick Mitzenmacher February 21st, 2008 06:07 PM

Stage6.com is very good for quality.
free to sign up and everything.

Give it a look. Ive seen many outstanding quality videos posted on there and they support widescreen format as well.

if you dont like Stage 6, then vimeo is also good as well.

Dylan Pank February 22nd, 2008 08:01 AM

Be careful with Stage6. The difference with other video sharing sites is that it hosts the file you compress yourself (as long as it's .divx). This is good as it means you're not compressing to mp4, and then having the site recompress to flash as others do.

However, this means lots of users max out the quality and bit rate, which is great their end, but users get a fairly poor experience as the datarates can be far higher than the internet connection can handle.

The temptation is to think "Maximum bitrate at 1080p so i get NO artefacts", but if what your audience see most is "buffering" (which I get to see a LOT on stage6) you'll not win many fans.

As for how many hits you'll get on Vimeo as compared to Youtube. I've put stuff up on youtube and it's taken a year to get up to 500-600 hits. My last film got that many on Vimeo in a fortnight. Thing about Youtube is your stuff gets lost in the crowd.

Brian W. Smith February 25th, 2008 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan Pank (Post 830802)
Be careful with Stage6. The difference with other video sharing sites is that it hosts the file you compress yourself (as long as it's .divx). This is good as it means you're not compressing to mp4, and then having the site recompress to flash as others do.

However, this means lots of users max out the quality and bit rate, which is great their end, but users get a fairly poor experience as the datarates can be far higher than the internet connection can handle.

The temptation is to think "Maximum bitrate at 1080p so i get NO artefacts", but if what your audience see most is "buffering" (which I get to see a LOT on stage6) you'll not win many fans.

As for how many hits you'll get on Vimeo as compared to Youtube. I've put stuff up on youtube and it's taken a year to get up to 500-600 hits. My last film got that many on Vimeo in a fortnight. Thing about Youtube is your stuff gets lost in the crowd.

Just download for later viewing ;)

Dylan Pank February 26th, 2008 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Smith (Post 833022)
Just download for later viewing ;)

Not any more!

Download and view later is something nerdy video types (such as myself) might be willing to do, but most web surfers want a seamless, buffer free, in browser experience. Ashley Highfield of the BBC refers to it as the "can my mum do it" test. Stage 6 would probably have failed that test.