need critiques on my reel at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old February 28th, 2008, 02:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

need critiques on my reel

Hi guys,
I just finished couple of demo reels:

Cinematography: http://www.vimeo.com/735843

Sport Videography: http://www.vimeo.com/736639

Still Photography: http://www.vimeo.com/736813

Please tell me what do you think, and if you like them, hire me!

H
Herminio Cordido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 04:49 PM   #2
Major Player

Herminio, I enjoyed the first clip very much. How did you get the time lapse shots of the shorelines in the beginning? I think you do a good job of rolling the dice. The sports clip said private but I'd like to see that too when it's ready.
Matt Buys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 07:11 PM   #3
Regular Crew

The sports clip said private but I'd like to see that too when it's ready.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for telling me, it is fixed now.

The timelapse was on a Ferry, Nikon d40x + Pclix at one frame every 3 seconds (45 minutes trip)

H
Old February 28th, 2008, 10:02 PM   #4
Major Player

Hey Herminio,

Let me start off by saying that your work is truly remarkable! You are an exceptional photographer/cinematographer.

With that said, there are only a couple of things that I would like to comment on. The Cinematography reel works. The music fits the footage and the whole piece really flows.

The sports reel, on the other hand seems a little off, which is a bummer because the shots are incredible. My first suggestion would be to change up the music a bit. Make it extremely energetic. As it is right now, it starts off kind of slow and never really has a dramatic punch. My suggestion would be to find maybe two or three different songs that do deliver that punch and mix them together into the piece. If this is a serious demo reel, which it looks like it is, I would stay away from songs containing the "F" bomb as well. Some employers will think it's cool, but most would find it unprofessional. Also, the reel is a sports reel and you have a few shots of nature and hot girls in there. Though it is eye candy, it doesn't really fit when you have sports videography in text across the top of the frame.

I think the photography reel works as well as your cinematography piece. It's short, simple and to the point.... you have skills! The music fits really well with the piece also.

All-in-all though, your work is excellent and really makes a statement. Your style is quite unique and expressive.

Regards,
Ryan
Ryan Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 02:14 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the coments,

You are totally right!, i need to change that song.
Because english is not my first languange, the F*** word wasnt bad or vulgar to me, hahah
sudacas
Thanks

H
Old February 29th, 2008, 07:14 AM   #6
Major Player

Herminio, sin duda eres un loco. I wouldn't hire you after watching this reel because I'd be worried you'd kill yourself getting the shot. Seriously. Awesome stuff. Please post back if you put some new songs in there. My kids would love this.
Matt Buys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 05:10 PM   #7
Major Player

Loved the footage. Would like to know more specifics of how you did it. How did you do the rotating shots? That shot where the briefcase hits the gun is classic. What cameras did you use, etc.?
Old March 1st, 2008, 08:24 PM   #8
Regular Crew

On the Cinematography reel, there is a SR2 (16mm camera), a Sony Z1u, and a Nikon d40x for the timelapses.

For the Orbit i designed a "tail" that stabilizes the camera pointing at the center while it is thrown around hanging from the top.

You can see it here: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/783799/orbit_cam/

for the videography one i used a Sony pc120 for the body mounts and some helmet footage, a Z1u for some of the Helmet cam and a Sony pdx10 for the surf footage. Also a Xl1 for some surf.

Cheers...
H
Herminio Cordido is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work