Working Man's Nightmare - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old July 9th, 2003, 10:10 AM   #16
Major Player

It makes a lot of sense that you should not post the film in DV recompression if you shot it in DV. If you shoot in DV and do final render in uncompressed you will have 1/2 less loss compared to a recompression to DV. 1st gen DV holds up for broadcast according to SMPTE standards. Recompressed DV produces heavy degrading and is in fact far from broadcast standards if you check out SMPTEs papers on DV as a broadcast format. Since your knowledge in compression is that limited I can see why your trying to hide the fact that you don't know how to do a good webcompression. Hiding it with an attitude don't help.

Now there; If you read this post you've now learned something important tech wise. Forums are not all bad.
Old July 9th, 2003, 03:05 PM   #17
Major Player

Curtis posted a link to a video in a manner he wanted it posted. Viewers wanted a link in a different format. That didn't happen - whether the viewers were correct or Curtis - it doesn't matter.

Curtis has the right to post his work in any manner he sees fit, and whether I (ie: the board?) like it or not, that's his right. Difference of opinion (whether it be download time or quality of compression) is relative and by now moot!

Where my nose really gets in . . . If Curtis wants to post a large file for people to view, and people don't want to download a large file - perhaps he would consider posting the entire piece in mulitple links (ie: sections) so if one enjoys what one sees, then they go can to the next download link.

I also agree with the earlier post that the topic should be finished.
Old July 10th, 2003, 12:52 AM   #18
Obstreperous Rex

Thread pruned. Streamlined a bit, by removing flames (this is a flame-free board enforced by intelligent moderation) and some meta-discussion removed. Thread now closed. Remains in database for good technical content regarding web video file sizes.

In closing, my own input is two words: Canopus ProCoder (the best web video compressor out there; very clean, very manageable file sizes). Thanks to all, and please let's remember to not get bent out of shape over simple issues. Life is too short! Now, back to our regular programming...

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work