Teaser Trailer for THE RAGE at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old March 24th, 2008, 06:51 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Teaser Trailer for THE RAGE

This is my film's first trailer. The film will go online in about 6 to 8 weeks. It was shot in Glasgow, Scotland on a low to no budget on a Canon XL2 and a slightly unreliable XL1 as a camera B. Small Sony handy cams were also used as shaky cams... Edited on Final Cut with CGI provided by a friend using after effects (not the latest). It's a teaser so doesn't give away much but as I admire this forum greatly I thought I'd offer it up for viewing.

Check it out on www.myspace.com/theragefilm

Add us as a friend if you are a myspace member! If you are a member you can also view the stills. This teaser sequence is from the airfield location which was a devil to shoot in with limited time and a light which went from very bright to overcast all too often. The actual sequence in the film is being converted to day for night (or early morning) to help combat this. With no real budget and a day to get everything we got what we could!
Attached Thumbnails
Teaser Trailer for THE RAGE-clare_waugh-rage.jpg   Teaser Trailer for THE RAGE-william_ruane-rage.jpg  

Last edited by David Carter; March 25th, 2008 at 04:53 AM. Reason: to attach a still
David Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008, 11:33 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Direct link if you prefer to the youtube trailer is here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQEkXyPb-wU
Old March 27th, 2008, 02:51 PM   #3
Major Player

Hey David, im always interested in scottish indie films. I've actually had a look at the trailer before on bebo as im a member of the scottish indie filmmakers group there, I'd love to have a look at the final product.

Just curious and im sure you've heard this before but why did you choose to stick so closely to the 28 days later theme, even using the music from the film on your myspace page, is the rage a carry on from 28 weeks later?.

Anyway i think it looks great and id love to work with you some time on another film. Heres my bebo page if your interested or have another project in mind. http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MyProfile=Y

Cheers
Andy.
Old March 27th, 2008, 05:16 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hey Andy

The Rage is set in the same world as 28 Days Weeks/Later and is ostensibly a fan film... and I'll tell you why. Yes without much additional effort we could have made the film in our own world and with our own premise. Ideas I find with all film makers are NOT in short supply. But we chose to set it i a world already known for several reasons.

A little background info. Colin and I who are the director and producer on The Rage also worked on a Battlestar Galactica film for the BS 4 minute films competiton run by the exec producer of Battlestar and by scifi.com - That film can be seen here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ga4CjUYwmE) That little film was really VERY successful for us as scifi.com took us under their wing and promoted our film on the front page of their site and also as a direct link on their newsletter. We didn't win but the film we submitted was really well received.

A number of factors worked in our favour in that one, principally that the world was already created and it was easy to get people involved with no cash to pay as they all wanted to be part of a fun project that in Scotland rarely comes along. Also in our favour was a ready made fan base who lapped up the attention to detail etc

The Rage takes the blueprint we discovered on By Your Command and extends the format. The world was a cheap world to mimic requiring not much more than empty streets which worked in our favour and was a world which fans of the films would want to be part of so crewing and casting were relatively easy. A fanbase will already be out there so we have an audience who will hopefully enjoy this opportunity to glance into the world that Danny Boyle has created. Nobody was paid on this. We did it for FUN (though it was hard work and we took it seriously) and the costs for food travel and props etc came out of my pocket and was affordable. Well not unaffordable..

So its just a fan film, nothing more. Definately a homage to something we all love. We have no intention of ever seeking money for it. We did these films for other reasons. 1/ Fun and something different from the norm. I'm a pro fight director but I never get the chance to do this sort of stuff. 2/ To get experience in film production. 3/ To meet like minded individuals and to build relationships with professionals and semi pros that are passionate. and amongst several other I could mention 4/ In the hope that somebody with cash will see that we as a developing team are worth investing in.

You're in on the secret. Now shhh keep it to yourself.

I am currently in pre production for a film of my own, not a fan film... haha It's called Shadow Play and will shoot at the end of April. As a result of The Rage and By Your Command I have people that know me and that trust me and we already have a relationship built on trust and producing a quality product. If I had tried to make this before Battlestar and The Rage it would probably fail. This way around it will happen, and it will be well supported...
Old March 27th, 2008, 05:56 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Nice very nice!!!!! The cinematography was very much like the film, and I also saw the battlestar short film..... Impressive work!!!!!!!!
Tunde Anjorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 04:16 AM   #6
Major Player

I watched the battlestar short, it was pretty damn good. I understand about the fan film thing its a good way to get noticed , kind of like the treasure of the templars fan film that did really well ( I used a few actors from that movie myself)

Small World, we're currently in pre production on our next film called "Shadow Land" http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=108226 . The way we've writen the script we're going be shooting for about six weeks and there's a lot of stunts and explosions etc so we're gonna need a lot of money if its ever going to get made.

Anyway if you ever need a steadicam operator or just a second cam op give me a shout.

Andy.
Old March 28th, 2008, 04:17 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks! Battlestar was made on a budget of only £240 ($500) and shot in one day. The Rage which will run at approx 17 minutes was shot on a budget of £1500 ($3000) and shot over 4 very rushed days, and had a day and a half of pickups due to a camera fault on camera B (a borrowed XL1s). I used this opportunity however to reshoot the ending and turned the pick up days into a real positive for the film. We were less rushed on that day and got a smoother and more defined version of the ending, which is greatly improved on the original.
Old March 28th, 2008, 04:19 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Hey Andy! Here we are writing replies at the same time! I've seen the trailer for the treasure of the templars and I loved it. It's just so audacious to attempt such a thing, and thats why I loved it. Clever work and most importantly, ENTERTAINING! I'm writing here under my real name David Carter, but I am known under the equity name of Carter Ferguson and have been working with Colin Ross Smith, a massive Indiana Jones fan who also lives in Glasgow. I can't access your bebo page as I'm not a member, but stay in touch!

Last edited by David Carter; March 28th, 2008 at 04:21 AM. Reason: additional material
Old March 28th, 2008, 04:36 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carter View Post
stay in touch!
Colin was already in my friends box so i just dropped him a wee message.

Id love to know what happened to the treasure of the templars, last i heard from Forbes KB who was in the film (and our promo) they were still waiting for it. I really hope it gets finished.

Andy.
Old March 28th, 2008, 04:41 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Fantastique! and I know Forbes as well he is out occasionally as a "heavy" to Lenny Murdoch on River City. I'll keep this chat off forum now lol but if you're also on myspace add me or The Rage as a friend if you've not done so already.
Old March 28th, 2008, 04:56 AM   #11
Major Player

Iv been meaning to get a myspace page, i got sucked into bebo by some friends. It has been very beneficial when it comes to filmmaking though, there are a lot of like minded people on there. Hopefully i'll get round to myspace sometime.

Andy.
Old March 28th, 2008, 05:17 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Same goes for myspace. Good film community there. Good for promoting your work etc.

I watched the trailer for Shadow Land. Looks beautiful. What was it shot on?

Your efforts on the dolly front were WELL worthwhile, makes the whole thing feel filmic. It's not a million miles away from The Rage but looks like it was shot on HD?. Was the sound done in post I wasn't sure... We shot The Rage on XL cameras as 28 days was mostly shot on one. I dare say they had pro lenses mounted however. I have a manual servo lens which does well but I can't afford any more. I'm spent out virtually on equipment but have an eye to upgrading to HD if I can raise the funds. I've been looking to see if there were grants for equipment but haven't found any. In the meantime looks like I'll be upgrading my smaller cam to HD but will stick with the XL2 as it serves it's purpose well.
Old March 28th, 2008, 11:50 AM   #13
Major Player

Thanks David, yeah it was shot on an HD100 over a couple of days. I completely rebuilt the audio in post doing all the ADR work in my studio and recording all the foley like footfalls ,bushes etc my self which really makes the difference when it comes to controlability and quality.

I have an XL1s myself although its taken a bit of a back seat since i went HD, although HDV does have its problems

Andy.
Old April 7th, 2008, 07:04 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Hi guys- another Scot resident here (as opposed to a proper scot- I'm from cardiff originally)

Carter, can't remember whether I replied to you when you posted re the teaser trailer on scotfilmnet-- great work, enjoyed it, looking forward to seeing the full thing :)

Kris
Kris Bird is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work