DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Musclehead video tutorial - The Jump Cut (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/119897-musclehead-video-tutorial-jump-cut.html)

Michael Pulcinella April 21st, 2008 09:38 AM

Musclehead video tutorial - The Jump Cut

This is a tutorial I made for the home video enthusiasts over at Muscular Development.com. In my video tips column there we've gone through most of the basics, and I've illustrated my text with links to a few video examples. Now that I am getting into the more subtle aspects of video editing I thought that a full-fledged video tutorial was necessary.

Because my audience is mostly muscleheads who just want to shoot better video of themselves and their friends in the gym, I don't go into too much detail with my subject matter but I want it to be useful enough for them so that they get a sense of the possibilities that editing gives you.

How'd I do?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HVlZjJfXYfU

Daniel Alexander April 21st, 2008 12:10 PM

that was really good, well put together, informative and could easily fit on any info channel. Well done

John C. Plunkett April 21st, 2008 01:09 PM

Can not color correcting your clips really add artistic flair to your work?
I would have to disagree with you on that one.

Other than that, good job. I think you did a pretty good job explaining things without going over your audiences head.

Richard Gooderick April 21st, 2008 02:46 PM

I found this really interesting. It gave me some ideas for an interview I'm editing at the moment.
And, yes, I do buy the color correction argument. Whatever, as long as it works.
:-)

Michael Pulcinella April 21st, 2008 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John C. Plunkett (Post 864748)
Can not color correcting your clips really add artistic flair to your work?
I would have to disagree with you on that one.

Other than that, good job. I think you did a pretty good job explaining things without going over your audiences head.

Thanks, but I must disagree with your disagreement.

Any decision one makes in the editing process is an artistic decision. If I had shot properly calibrated footage and then altered the hue to make it greenish, would that be an artistic decision? I think so. So therefore the reverse is also an artistic decision.

I'm a big fan of Brian Eno who often uses chance in his music. Rather than categorize them as "mistakes", I consider unplanned events to be ripe with possibility and I count on "happy accidents" happening in every one of my projects.

John C. Plunkett April 22nd, 2008 10:56 AM

It's just one shot though.
Had the entire scene been green, the shifted hue wouldn't have been as noticeable, but when all the shots in the scene are color balanced except one, I tend to focus on the one shot in the scene that inexplicably looked different.

Had I not had the volume up or had there not been a narration to explain to me that the shot was intentionally left green, I would have assumed it was a mistake.

Michael Pulcinella April 22nd, 2008 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John C. Plunkett (Post 865338)
It's just one shot though.
Had the entire scene been green, the shifted hue wouldn't have been as noticeable, but when all the shots in the scene are color balanced except one, I tend to focus on the one shot in the scene that inexplicably looked different.

Had I not had the volume up or had there not been a narration to explain to me that the shot was intentionally left green, I would have assumed it was a mistake.

But it's not just one shot!! It's all of them.

I just replayed it and it looks right on my computer. I wonder why it looks like only one shot is greenish to you. Well, that's disturbing. No wonder you said what you did! I would agree with you wholeheartedly in that case.

John C. Plunkett April 22nd, 2008 11:49 AM

The shot between 4:00 and 4:05 is what I was referring to. On my monitor that is the only shot that I can tell is different than the rest as the rest appear to match one another.

On my second viewing of that scene I realized what you were talking about in the dialog and what I was seeing wasn't really matching. Your dialog was about using that days footage "as is" to help illustrate the frustration in the subject and that's what threw me off because it seemed to only occur in one shot instead of the entire scene.

Michael Pulcinella April 22nd, 2008 12:01 PM

I probably need to review it and make sure that the amount of "mistake" in each clip matches throughout the section. Thank you very much for taking the time to point this out! You've helped me a great deal!!

You're right, it's no good if it doesn't match.