Demo Reel 2008 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old April 29th, 2008, 12:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Demo Reel 2008

Hey Everybody,

Over the past couple weeks I have toiled collecting what I feel is a nice, general demo of my work from the past few years.

The reason behind creating this Demo Reel is, of course, to gain new clients.

Now that LoftonFilms is an LLC, I am fully capable of taking on new projects!

Anyway, check it out. I have it hosted on ExposureRoom, only, for now:

http://exposureroom.com/members/Loft...16083e930f442/

Any constructive criticism is much appreciated :)

Regards,

John
John Lofton IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 03:17 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hey Guys,

Almost 120 views and not a single response? Wow!

Here's a vimeo link, maybe that will help:

http://www.vimeo.com/1010417

*Video Is Public*

Thanks,

JL

Last edited by John Lofton IV; May 14th, 2008 at 07:10 PM. Reason: *Made video public*
Old May 14th, 2008, 10:33 PM   #3
Major Player

Wow! Very impressive to me! What in the world created the shot starting around 1:04? How was that done?! That looked amazing!
Old May 14th, 2008, 10:52 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Original link didn't work for me because I was told to get Flash? I already have Flash installed. Might be why you have so many views and so few comments. Don't know.

Anyways, I watched on Vimeo. Looked like a great piece, although the ending did leave me wondering what I was watching.
Old May 15th, 2008, 11:30 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Guys!

Yeah, sorry about the original link. I forgot that Exposure Room has some flash compatibility issues. Please use the VIMEO link only.

Alex, thank you for the compliment! The shot at 1:04 is called a 'Push-Pull' and involves focusing on an object while zoomed in, then dollying FORWARD while zooming out , keeping framing on said object. Also, I stabilized the shot.

And Travis, that's exactly what I wanted to happen. I was attempting to leave the viewer wondering what they were watching to possibly make them interested in watching more!

Thanks again guys,

John
Old May 15th, 2008, 07:11 PM   #6
Major Player

Man thats some really tasty work.
Dont get me wrong , im not one of these "i have to find something to knock" people but I personally wouldn't be mad about the rays on the text, or burst or whatever that is(00.59). Its been done to death and I think everything else featured there is a thousand times better. But then again this is all subjective.
Very nice piece.

Ger
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 06:17 AM   #7
New Boot

What questions do you have for us about your demo? I'm sure you know it is excellent work - so do you have specific areas that you want comment on or specific questions that you'd like opinions on?

My question to you: You call it a general demo, but do you have a specific type of business you would like to attract? It starts with strong commercial/industrial/motion gfx clips and then segues into other types of work half way through. Maybe it would make sense to have multiple demos that are each shorter and more market specific. Or maybe it would make sense to establish the variety of work to come in a quick, composite montage at the beginning.

I personally think the company title, clip title takes too long to establish. For a demo, I like to get into the work quicker - especially since the soundtrack chosen is kind of ethereal, the longer title build isn't holding me. That's my taste - you can get another 20,000 opinions from others on the board.

Hope that helps. Post your specific questions so we can chime in.
Old May 16th, 2008, 12:15 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks

Hey Russ, thanks for the feedback. I like your idea about separating the demo into specific parts. I created this 'General' reel to showcase all my work from the past few years, hence why it's so diverse.

Honestly I'm trying to attract commercial work and move past all the 'corporate' style videos. I need something where there's more creativity involved, you know?

And thanks, Ger, too for your feedback.

John
Old May 19th, 2008, 02:40 PM   #9
Major Player

John,

That was very cool. It must have taken you a long time to put that together. The "move foward and zoom back" effect looked great. How about those fries (LOL).

Oliver Pahlow
Oliver Pahlow is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work