New Demo Reel 2007 - 2008 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old May 3rd, 2008, 02:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

New Demo Reel 2007 - 2008

Hey guys,

Here is my newest demo reel. Instead of showing just cool shots, I decided to show segments from previous work. I felt that this gave whoever was watching it a better chance to see the results of my work and such.

Please let me know what you think, thanks!!!

http://moonlitefilms.com/Demoreel.htm

Glen Chua
www.moonliteproductions.com
www.surreyfilmfest.ca

Last edited by Glen Chua; May 3rd, 2008 at 02:30 PM. Reason: demo reel link
Glen Chua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2008, 04:58 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Glen,

very nices images you've goty here.
Impressive.
What did you shoot "Into the Black woods" and "the lady in white" with ?
Old May 3rd, 2008, 05:12 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hey Gilles,

Thanks for the kind comments! Everything in that demo reel is shot on the Canon XH-A1. Memories was shot on the Canon XH-A1 and then down converted to SD because some of the stuff was re-shot using the GL2.
Old May 4th, 2008, 04:34 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks.
I'm very impressed.

I've shot with XH-A1 a couple of times, and never notices it could produced such beautiful images.
I guess you have good skill for color correction as well.
Anyway, it looks really good.
Congratulations.

Speaking about your real, I think the good points are :
- it shows your skills for visual stuff (crane and dolly movements, aesthetic night scene in the foggy woods)
- It's obvious you're pretty good at creating an "atmosphere", a mood, in your scenes.
- it shows acting parts, saying something like "hey, I don't just shoot aesthetic images, I can only work with actors".

I think it's a good idea.

The minus points to my opinion, are :
- it's a bit long, maybe
- the acting scenes are perhaps a bit too calm, to "standard". They could make the viewer think you have less skill for getting strong performances from actors, than you have for shooting beautiful images.

But don't get me wrong : I'm not saying the acting parts suck in tour real, huh ? Far from it actually.
But in my short experience, I have noticed strong performances (with either real tension or unusual stuff in it) pay much more that "usual" performances.
(I do'nt know if all of this is clear...)

Anyway, I guess your reel content depends on the kind of job you're looking for.
What kind of job are you looking for ? (Directing features, commercials, TV shows, music videos...?)
Old May 4th, 2008, 11:27 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Glen,

Let me tell you what I love about your demo reel – it’s slow enough to give me time to study and appreciate your work, skill and technique. I can’t stand demo reels that consist of machine gun editing and shots that go by so fast, you don’t have time to look at anything. Glen, if you were in Arizona, I’d hire you in a heartbeat. Nice work. I’m officially jealous.
Old May 5th, 2008, 02:25 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thank you! I'm glad you guys enjoyed the reel.

I always color correct all the images, I find that it's one of the most important post production things in making your picture really pop. I also love using contrasting colors in my films, such as the past being shot all colorful and warm, while the present is all cold and desaturated.

As for directing jobs, I guess I'm looking for anything currently. What do you think my reel would be more directed at?
Old May 6th, 2008, 01:18 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Great Reel. You've got some nice acting in your films, that's pretty rare in indie films.
The only thing I didn't like was the music in the films. Everytime a new clip started, there was a same kind of music. You should consider editing some scenes in your future projects without music (sometimes that results in extra strong scenes) or different kinds of music (not always the melodramatic violin or piano).

But other than that, it was very good.
Ivo van Aart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 04:40 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Nice work, only thing I 'll say is I think it should be shorter - 2 mins (but that maybe just my preference)

Some shots are too dark and not a big fan of the music starting/stopping for each segment (though that may be in the final product and unavoidable if you've ditched the capture scratch/project files already - always make a habit of exporting vids WITH NO MUSIC just for demo reel purposes IMO).
Gary Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2008, 01:34 AM   #9
Trustee

Nice images Glen,
What do you edit on and what do you use to get such deep tones in the colors.
Cheers
Simon
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 08:01 PM   #10
New Boot

Nice stuff! The only "negative" that I can think of is that I'd like to hear some "nat sound" in the holiday party scene. Otherwise, most excellent!
Geren Mortensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 10:12 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I thought your reel looked good. It was a bit too long as someone already mentioned, but the shots were nice looking. What software did you use to color it, COLOR, or AFTER EFFECTS, or some other software? Did you use any filters or lens adapters for any of the shots?
Dana Acciavatti is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work