kind of 70k USD music video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old June 2nd, 2008, 04:11 AM   #1
Major Player

kind of 70k USD music video

The band needed the video but had almost no money. So, we used all contacts and hommies we had, in order to get it done. After shooting the video, we started calculating how much we would actually had to pay, so all expenses summed up-$70 000(60k of it would cost location rent)

anyway, the video is here in 576p and 720p versions:
www.fff.ee/slidefifty

and youtube:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Cv9P-Br8O_Q

what i also learned while doing it: gain on camera is not always a bad thing. We wanted to get dirty, a bit stoner style video, blown out whites etc...and +12dB gain did a great job...
Andzei Matsukevits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 04:48 AM   #2
Trustee

Really liked that. What did you edit on? and how much color grading did you do?
Cheers
Simon
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 05:25 AM   #3
Major Player

thanks Simon,

I edited it on my 3 years old PC, using Premiere Pro 2 with Raylight. Most colors where done on set in camera, lighting came only from top and its pretty much one color video, so it was easy to get good colors on hvx. In post, i didnt do much, just balanced colors and added just a bit contrast(could not more, otherwise smoke would disappear), a bit noise and lot of masking...
Old June 6th, 2008, 09:10 PM   #4
New Boot

Tight work!

Whats good!

I loved the video, I love the gritty darks feel, your performance scenes and your b-roll was top notch!

Job well done and look forward to seeing more of your works.

Jamal "Jag" Johnson
Http://www.MusicVideoTrainingCenter.com
Jamal M. Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2008, 09:31 PM   #5
Major Player

Really good use of location to up the production value, I presume it was a steadicam shoot?
Craig Parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2008, 04:43 AM   #6
Major Player

thank you,

we used dolly and a wheel chair for moving shots. Wheel chair is not good for such things...
Old June 7th, 2008, 04:51 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andzei Matsukevits View Post
thank you,

we used dolly and a wheel chair for moving shots. Wheel chair is not good for such things...
Ahh, interesting, so lots of dolly track then? I think you did a fairly impressive job with some of the shots if all you had for them was a wheel chair.

Good work.
Craig Parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2008, 06:03 PM   #8
Trustee

Nice job, I would not sell it as a $70K video though. Better to say you did it on the cheap than say you pulled off a $70K video for next to nothing. I am doing lots of $5K to $15K videos these days and if you know your stuff, that money can stretch pretty far.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2008, 07:13 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andzei Matsukevits View Post
After shooting the video, we started calculating how much we would actually had to pay, so all expenses summed up-$70 000(60k of it would cost location rent).
Oh...
The power of having friends!

:)
Old June 21st, 2008, 08:02 PM   #10
Major Player

Liked the video well done, but im amazed you spend 60k on your location.....what was it , it looked like a large open space like a ware house.....why on earth did it cost 60k? (i had to double check to make sure thats what you meant). Iv done music videos before on large budgets but the bulk of the cost usually goes on equipment and wages for the crew......you could probably have bought the place for 60k!. I agree with Ash, say you did it on the cheap.....people will be more impressed.

Congrats on a job well done and if the client is happy then its all good but personally i could shoot a feature movie on that budget no problem.

Andy.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 11:09 AM   #11
Major Player

I thought it was very well done, but very bland. I'm a fan of old school storied music videos. This is more of glorify the musicians style which I find doesn`t give the video maker much creativity, and isn`t very interesting for the viewer. The shots look awesome, I just think musicians need to let you get creative and really spread your wings of talent.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 01:02 AM   #12
Major Player

thanks for comments.

Yeah, i know, it would be ridiculous to spend that much money on a music video in our country, it will never make money back for a band. If we really had that much money, i think we would shoot on a film also, real budget was $2000, so no film...

The place where it was shot, is a huge concert hall(last week e.g. Def Lepard, Lenny Kravitz were performing there), that it is why its so expensive...
Old July 12th, 2008, 12:14 PM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Quattrini View Post
I thought it was very well done, but very bland. I'm a fan of old school storied music videos. This is more of glorify the musicians style which I find doesn`t give the video maker much creativity, and isn`t very interesting for the viewer. The shots look awesome, I just think musicians need to let you get creative and really spread your wings of talent.

I agree Nathan but that is what most bands want and for CERTAIN what most labels want to pay for. I get 4 more generic videos approved for every creative one I push through.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 01:32 PM   #14
Major Player

not really sure, but i think if director is real badass and talented and has some good creative videos in portfolio, then its not that hard to convince band/label to shoot a creative video...

but im not the one, so i dont know
Old July 25th, 2008, 11:24 AM   #15
Major Player

I thought it was great - very cool look. I agree with Ash's assessment on how to sell it - don't tell a client 'I can do this for $70000...'
Philip Gioja is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work