DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   The Black Shell (short film) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/125642-black-shell-short-film.html)

Matthew Nayman July 9th, 2008 03:11 PM

The Black Shell (short film)

Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:58 am Post subject: The Black Shell

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey. Haven't been around much recently, so I decided to drop by and post my most recent film.

www.notomatofilms.com/TBSweb.mov

Shot on XHA1 and Redrock. About 20 min, so hope you have the time.

Finished in February for my 4th year at film school.

Louis Maddalena July 9th, 2008 03:37 PM

looks awesome! great job. I greatly enjoyed the story and it was awesome to see the xh-a1 in action.

Matthew Nayman July 9th, 2008 05:03 PM

Thank you kindly Louis.

Matthew Nayman July 10th, 2008 07:04 AM

really? no one else?

John Stakes July 10th, 2008 07:45 AM

I will check it out tonight...

In the meanwhile...did you make the Redrock purchase AFTER your A1, or at the same time? I have been considering this as an option.

Matthew Nayman July 10th, 2008 11:48 AM

Hey John

I owned an XL2 with my Redrock.Upgraded to HD with the A1. great combo

Matthew Nayman July 17th, 2008 05:13 PM

Update:

Film nominated for best editing and cinematography at Youngcuts Film Fest in Montreal!

John Stakes July 22nd, 2008 03:56 PM

okay better late than never, right?

Finally got a chance to watch the "film." It looks great and congrats on the nomination! There are only a few little things I didn't like...for example the zoom was a little fast when zooming in on the girlfriend's eyes to build the drama (sorry I didn't note the time), and you could remove the vignette when the static takes up the entire screen at the end. Other than that the color looks good! Redrock did wonders for the footage...was the color by preset, or post?

Inspiring!!

-JS

Matthew Nayman July 26th, 2008 01:07 PM

Hey john... some was in camera (preset) and some was post (did full colour correct with Technicolour employed colourist).

The dolly in was originally a dolly-out which we reversed and cut up for the purposes of the film. I do wish we had taken a bit longer with it, but that rack focus was so tough as is, couldn't try it more than 30 times (which it took!)

Derrick A.Jones August 2nd, 2008 09:43 AM

This is a very good short man and congrats with the nomination at the film festival man!!! Story was very good. I want to be able to make stuff like this just hard for me to get it done.. Very good job man!!! Very nice script

Mike Horrigan August 2nd, 2008 12:37 PM

I really enjoyed this one as well. Especially the story.
Nice work!

Mike

Matthew Nayman August 7th, 2008 07:28 PM

Thanks Mike,

I'll be screening it at Young cuts in Montreal soon. Any good fests in Ottawa?

Paul Whittington August 9th, 2008 01:38 AM

Wow, great film Matthew! Very professional looking indeed. I especially liked the lighting - it was very nicely done and also created a look/mood which was perfect for this film - very nice cinematography indeed! Also the sound, acting, story was great too. Congrats on the festival attention as well.

Stefan von Halenbach August 13th, 2008 12:26 PM

TBSweb.mov

Quite good. I like the lighting, camera work and cutting.

Stefan

Mike Horrigan August 13th, 2008 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Nayman (Post 917962)
Thanks Mike,

I'll be screening it at Young cuts in Montreal soon. Any good fests in Ottawa?

Nope. Not really.