DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   The Watchman (Short Film) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/127047-watchman-short-film.html)

Mike Horrigan July 30th, 2008 11:31 PM

The Watchman (Short Film)

Hi, guys.

Just thought I would drop by and post a link for my latest short film.
Shot entirely by myself with the Canon HV20, no crew, no adapters.

The Watchman

Click the link above or right click> save as.

Cheers!

Mike

Derrick A.Jones August 2nd, 2008 09:28 AM

First i would just like to say that this was a great film man. Picture quailty is awsome and the detail is great. Very very good shot selection for a film like this and always good to have those close ups. The storyline was very good. kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. Dude was kind of kreepy also. Very good movie and look to see more from you!!

Mike Horrigan August 2nd, 2008 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derrick A.Jones (Post 915555)
First i would just like to say that this was a great film man. Picture quailty is awsome and the detail is great. Very very good shot selection for a film like this and always good to have those close ups. The storyline was very good. kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. Dude was kind of kreepy also. Very good movie and look to see more from you!!

Thanks for watching! I appreciate it.

Mike

Mike Horrigan August 11th, 2008 05:01 PM

Any other opinions?

Chris Harris August 11th, 2008 05:54 PM

I second everything that Derrick said. From the filming and the editing, to the creepy quality that the Watchman conveyed, it was a pretty solid short. The 8 minutes went by quickly.

I am very interested in hearing in more detail about what kind of equipment you used, tripods, dollies, etc. For example, what did you use to do the opening shots where the camera slowly moves in on the guy? Also, how did you record the sound?

Mike Horrigan August 11th, 2008 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harris (Post 919369)
I second everything that Derrick said. From the filming and the editing, to the creepy quality that the Watchman conveyed, it was a pretty solid short. The 8 minutes went by quickly.

I am very interested in hearing in more detail about what kind of equipment you used, tripods, dollies, etc. For example, what did you use to do the opening shots where the camera slowly moves in on the guy? Also, how did you record the sound?

Thanks! Homemade dolly for the opening shots. The tripod is actually a small camera tripod. Of course, it works fine since I'm using the tiny HV20.

The sound was recorded with a shoe mic, the Canon DM-50 I believe.
I used Foley for just about every audible sound heard. About 95% Foley for sure.

Thanks for watching and commenting!

Mike

Mike Horrigan August 26th, 2008 09:36 PM

Any other takers?

Chris Barcellos August 26th, 2008 10:08 PM

Your films always creeped me Mike, as you intend.. Great use of composition to make things even spookier. Liked the dolly shot as he walks up driveway to garbage can too...

Mike Horrigan August 27th, 2008 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 925394)
Your films always creeped me Mike, as you intend.. Great use of composition to make things even spookier. Liked the dolly shot as he walks up driveway to garbage can too...

Thanks, Chris! Glad you liked it.

Mike Horrigan September 4th, 2008 10:53 AM

Last shameless bump.

Any other opinions?

Cheers,

Mike

Hal Snook September 5th, 2008 01:01 AM

Great work, Mike...after watching that I realize I have no excuse for not making short films with my HV20.

The only thing that struck me as slightly low-budget was the dialogue track, which sounds a little distant and muffled. You're great at foley; maybe try some ADR, too?

(Once again, coming from a guy who has yet to make a film, and will probably be stymied by audio when I finally get there.)

Mike Horrigan September 5th, 2008 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hal Snook (Post 929509)
Great work, Mike...after watching that I realize I have no excuse for not making short films with my HV20.

The only thing that struck me as slightly low-budget was the dialogue track, which sounds a little distant and muffled. You're great at foley; maybe try some ADR, too?

(Once again, coming from a guy who has yet to make a film, and will probably be stymied by audio when I finally get there.)

Thanks! Get that HV20 out and get to work. :)

We tried ADR, it never worked in a convincing manner.
BTW, it is low budget. :)
LOL!

Thanks for the comments. I really appreciate it.

Mike

Paul Whittington September 6th, 2008 12:56 AM

Just saw your film Mike and thought it was excellent! Seriously, for low budget, this is really top notch. And I can't believe it was filmed with an HV20! How did you manage to get such great night shots with that camera? I've never used an HV20 myself but I've heard they can produce a lot of noise in low-light, yet your night shots are as good as my XH-A1, that's awesome - however, I did notice you set up some good lighting so that would make a huge difference. Anyhow, however you managed to pull it all off, I think it was a great short.

Oh yeah, loved the long hallway shot with the killer behind her in the room - from start to finish it was a perfectly executed shot and it reminded me of a shot from the final scene of the film Tenebre, if you've seen it, you'll know what I mean.

Keep up the great work!

Mike Horrigan September 7th, 2008 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Whittington (Post 930011)
Just saw your film Mike and thought it was excellent! Seriously, for low budget, this is really top notch. And I can't believe it was filmed with an HV20! How did you manage to get such great night shots with that camera? I've never used an HV20 myself but I've heard they can produce a lot of noise in low-light, yet your night shots are as good as my XH-A1, that's awesome - however, I did notice you set up some good lighting so that would make a huge difference. Anyhow, however you managed to pull it all off, I think it was a great short.

Oh yeah, loved the long hallway shot with the killer behind her in the room - from start to finish it was a perfectly executed shot and it reminded me of a shot from the final scene of the film Tenebre, if you've seen it, you'll know what I mean.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks, Paul.
Shot the night scenes using the cover the lens/lock the exposure at -11 trick. It makes it so the HV20 doesn't add gain to the scene. I haven't seen Tenebre, I'll have to check it out. Glad you liked the hallway scene. It's my favourite. :)

Mike

Jeff Turkali January 9th, 2009 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Horrigan (Post 929250)
Last shameless bump.

Any other opinions?

Cheers,

Mike

What kind of additional light was used for interior shots? Was it just some bright household lamps added?