DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   A New Kind of Wedding Video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/128313-new-kind-wedding-video.html)

Nick Royer August 19th, 2008 06:02 PM

A New Kind of Wedding Video

This is my first time doing a wedding video. I am a high school student and did this for a family friend for free. I of course did the traditional parts, the full length two-camera ceremony, interviews with family and friends, and a reception summary video that I may post later.

But for the overall summary of the day, I wanted to do something fun for them. Everyone who's seen this so far has absolutely loved it, but I'd like to get your opinions too.

Here it is:
MobileMe Gallery

Dennis Murphy August 19th, 2008 11:39 PM

Maybe it's just me, but I'm missing the "new kind" bit?

Ken Beals August 20th, 2008 12:37 PM

Congratulations on taping your first wedding !

Now maybe it's just semantics but I'm curious too on what is the "new kind" of wedding video you're wanting to draw our attention to ?

David Kovalev August 20th, 2008 08:43 PM

good job

hey for a first wedding video you did pretty good. I was expecting to see some boring, slow music, ready to x out of video...

yeah i must agree with the others... whats the "new kind" mean?

Nick Royer August 20th, 2008 10:00 PM

Well by 'new kind' i just meant that it wasn't the traditional wedding recap video, mainly because of the music choice. Other than that though there's nothing really 'new' about it haha.

Dylan Couper August 20th, 2008 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Royer (Post 922818)
Well by 'new kind' i just meant that it wasn't the traditional wedding recap video, mainly because of the music choice. Other than that though there's nothing really 'new' about it haha.

Marketing is everything! :)
Personally, I was hoping to see a 3D wedding myself...

Matthew Craggs August 21st, 2008 06:15 AM

The funny thing is that the bride was beaming in the first shows like Toni Collette in Muriel's Wedding where the same song is playing. I thought that may be the "new kind" of wedding video -- a shot by shot remake of the scene. :)

Oren Arieli August 21st, 2008 03:37 PM

Not a bad effort for a young first-timer. I've seen much worse from people who charge for their time. That being said, if you decide to do another one, invest in a fluid-head tripod and keep yer' Red-Bull drinking hands off the camera as much as possible. The jitters are a sure giveaway of an amateur shoot. For reception footage, you really need to use a light...its another dead giveaway between the amateurs and the pros.

Its a fun career if you decide to make a go of it. Good luck in either case.

Nick Royer August 22nd, 2008 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Craggs (Post 922917)
The funny thing is that the bride was beaming in the first shows like Toni Collette in Muriel's Wedding where the same song is playing. I thought that may be the "new kind" of wedding video -- a shot by shot remake of the scene. :)

Really? That's funny. I've never seen that before I'll have to check it out sometime. :)

On the Tripod - For the ceremony the back camera was an XL2 on a Bogen 501hdv and the front camera was an HV30 on a cheap tripod. Usually the front camera is handheld but in this case (being a wedding) it was on that cheap tripod. But I am going to buy a better tripod for the XL2 and use the 501 on the HV30.

Any recommendations as to a tripod I could get for the XL2? I'm hoping to spend a couple hundred on a used one which would be better than buying new on the same budget.

Thanks. :)