A New Kind of Wedding Video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old August 19th, 2008, 06:02 PM   #1
Regular Crew

A New Kind of Wedding Video

This is my first time doing a wedding video. I am a high school student and did this for a family friend for free. I of course did the traditional parts, the full length two-camera ceremony, interviews with family and friends, and a reception summary video that I may post later.

But for the overall summary of the day, I wanted to do something fun for them. Everyone who's seen this so far has absolutely loved it, but I'd like to get your opinions too.

Here it is:
MobileMe Gallery
Old August 19th, 2008, 11:39 PM   #2
Major Player

Maybe it's just me, but I'm missing the "new kind" bit?
Old August 20th, 2008, 12:37 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Congratulations on taping your first wedding !

Now maybe it's just semantics but I'm curious too on what is the "new kind" of wedding video you're wanting to draw our attention to ?
Old August 20th, 2008, 08:43 PM   #4
Regular Crew

good job

hey for a first wedding video you did pretty good. I was expecting to see some boring, slow music, ready to x out of video...

yeah i must agree with the others... whats the "new kind" mean?
David Kovalev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 10:00 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Well by 'new kind' i just meant that it wasn't the traditional wedding recap video, mainly because of the music choice. Other than that though there's nothing really 'new' about it haha.
Old August 20th, 2008, 11:12 PM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Royer View Post
Well by 'new kind' i just meant that it wasn't the traditional wedding recap video, mainly because of the music choice. Other than that though there's nothing really 'new' about it haha.
Marketing is everything! :)
Personally, I was hoping to see a 3D wedding myself...
Old August 21st, 2008, 06:15 AM   #7
Major Player

The funny thing is that the bride was beaming in the first shows like Toni Collette in Muriel's Wedding where the same song is playing. I thought that may be the "new kind" of wedding video -- a shot by shot remake of the scene. :)
Matthew Craggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 03:37 PM   #8
Major Player

Not a bad effort for a young first-timer. I've seen much worse from people who charge for their time. That being said, if you decide to do another one, invest in a fluid-head tripod and keep yer' Red-Bull drinking hands off the camera as much as possible. The jitters are a sure giveaway of an amateur shoot. For reception footage, you really need to use a light...its another dead giveaway between the amateurs and the pros.

Its a fun career if you decide to make a go of it. Good luck in either case.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2008, 10:00 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Craggs View Post
The funny thing is that the bride was beaming in the first shows like Toni Collette in Muriel's Wedding where the same song is playing. I thought that may be the "new kind" of wedding video -- a shot by shot remake of the scene. :)
Really? That's funny. I've never seen that before I'll have to check it out sometime. :)

On the Tripod - For the ceremony the back camera was an XL2 on a Bogen 501hdv and the front camera was an HV30 on a cheap tripod. Usually the front camera is handheld but in this case (being a wedding) it was on that cheap tripod. But I am going to buy a better tripod for the XL2 and use the 501 on the HV30.

Any recommendations as to a tripod I could get for the XL2? I'm hoping to spend a couple hundred on a used one which would be better than buying new on the same budget.

Thanks. :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work